What's new

"Raving Rabbits: The Time Machine" at Futuroscope

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I know this was briefly mentioned in the "What's new for 2014" topic but seeing as the park sent me a press release, here are some more details. As always, I've put the (what I consider) interesting bits in bold.

The ‘Raving Rabbids’ invade Futuroscope’s new attraction: THE TIME MACHINE!

March 2014 – Futuroscope takes its visitors on a journey back in time with the ‘Raving Rabbids’. The Time Machine, the new immersive attraction inspired by the world of the ‘Raving Rabbids’ offers a blend of art and technology to bring visitors an all-out intensive immersive experience. A moving platform and polarized glasses take the audience through 4 historical scenes. The experience surprises visitors with special effects, animated scenery and moving backdrops. The Time Machine is the result of the expertise of both Futuroscope and the Ubisoft company, united to produce the first attraction in Europe, entirely devoted to the characters of a video game.

After lots of amusing and crazy experiences en route to the entrance to the ride, visitors will board a train with special effects in the company of the ‘Raving Rabbids’. The train will then suck into a strong spatial - temporal vortex to be transported in time through 4 historic scenes: the pre-historic age, the Greek games, the American Indians and the conquest of space. Visitors will re-visit the greatest moments of history, thus with a big dose of the ‘Raving Rabbids’ zany humour!

This new attraction is equipped with an immersive device of a unique technological and artistic world class. Effects begin when you board the train and travel through the scenes that are realistically interactive and project full HD 3D images. The experience surprises visitors with special effects, animated scenery and moving backdrops. The Time Machine is the result of the expertise of Futuroscope and the creative know-how of the company Ubisoft, united to produce the first attraction in Europe entirely devoted to the characters of a video game. It is the know-how of Futuroscope and Ubisoft together that brings this experience to the public and makes it an original artistic and technological immersive show, unseen before.

vue_parc.jpg

Also NEW in 2014: Mission Hubble, a 3D space rescue mission on telescope Hubble and the simulator ride Virus Attack, a high speed chase to stop virus invasion inside the human body.

A DIFFERENT KIND OF LEISURE PARK EXPERIENCE!

Futuroscope is the 2nd leisure park in France, with over 44 million visitors since its opening in 1987. Situated next to the city of Poitiers (South-West of France) in the region of Poitou-Charentes, it is easy to reach from Paris (80 minutes by train), and from La Rochelle (an hour’s drive).

Futuroscope offers a unique and immersive fun experience for the whole family, with new attractions every year. Over 25 original attractions and unusual outdoor games, deliver a mix of fun, excitement, imagination and discovery that kids and grown-ups can enjoy together. Futuroscope is the only one park of its kind in Europe, with spectacular images on gigantic screens, thrill-filled attractions and simulators, interactive games and pathways.

Visitors’ Top Attractions include: Arthur, the 4D Adventure, designed by international film maker Luc Besson, voted the world’s best attraction in 2012, The Little Prince from Antoine de St Exupéry’s tale, Dances with robots, a pop ride aboard gigantic industrial robots, Eyes Wide Shut, a journey in the dark led by blind guides, iMagic, a great illusion show, and Lady ô, the fantastic night show.

In a relaxing parkland and flowery gardens of 60 hectares, Futuroscope welcomes English speaking visitors of all ages and take them to an amazing journey beyond imagination, with the French touch, of course!

From what I remember of Raving Rabbits is shaking a Wii remote like a polaroid picture. And I guess Angry Birds don't count as a video game?

Anyway, cue the usual "why this IP, nobody cares about <insert IP name here>" comments.

peep

CF Legend
I love Futuroscope. This new ride opened in December and looks incredible (will post pics when at a pc). For starters the ride seats are toilets and you board them in a fake public toilet. The humour throughout looks fantastic and it's been getting rave reviews. I think this is a ride where the IP doesn't matter, as in you can just go in without knowing anything about the rabbids and still enjoy it.

There's also a whole bunch of news regarding the future which I'll dig up later.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Now on a computer. So here's a bunch of promo images/fan photos, videos and the news on the parks main plans for the next few years.

10709829294_758c049b11_o.jpg

Cards given to guests at the press/opening event in December.

futuroscope_mvt1.jpg

futuroscope_mvt2.jpg

11416529975_23247faf1b_o.jpg

The time machine

11416831493_142382b6a1_o.jpg

11416859313_c65475ba1e_o.jpg

Loading area of lolz

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b85f9oVyB4&list=PLHD_aJw_EhJmsY2wrxA0a_hcywTxuuIz6[/youtube]

Now on to the future of the park. The park's owner, CDA, have created a new timeline of a 'real'* new attraction every year until at least 2018 at a cost of €50 million with an additional €10 million being discussed. That will be €10-15 million a year and by 2018 will create an additional 12 to 15 new attractions. 2016 and 2018 will include a large investment attraction. This has of course led to rumours of a new rollercoaster at some point within that timeframe but I'll wait for actual evidence to appear before I believe that (it's not really that fitting with the current theme of the park).

The first in the new investments is "Cube". No idea on what the attraction will be but it'll be housed in the Studio Pavillion building which has sat dormant for about 3-4 years. It will open next year.

BghaukSIQAALJ0x.jpg:large

*Futuroscope always keep the park up to date but instead of installing actual new attractions or theatres they just replace the 3D films etc and market it as new. Saying that they do tend to add about 3-6 new films/attractions/re-themes every year.

Lofty

CF Legend
I remember looking at this late last year, I absolutely love it. The fact you ride in toilets is just hilarious.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
From what I remember of Raving Rabbits is shaking a Wii remote like a polaroid picture. And I guess Angry Birds don't count as a video game?

Anyway, cue the usual "why this IP, nobody cares about <insert IP name here>" comments.

See, I don't give a stuff about the games. The games are pretty awful, but... The Rabbids as IP are fantastic.

Angry Birds? They're piss poor avatars in a game. It's the game which is popular, the birds/pigs are supporting the games.

Rabbids are fantastic and hilarious on their own. You don't need to have ever played a Rabbids game to enjoy the cut scenes or (hopefully) this ride. It's simple, slap-stick and toilet humour that appeals to a lot of people.

So yeah, I don't think it's actually quite the same and is possibly the best IP choice anybody can make as it works completely out of context.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Here's a "making of" video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2ZznAlV2M[/youtube]