What's new

Rank your Ridden B&M Inverts

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
We have the B&M flyer thread in this forum so why not have this one? I remember this topic existed maybe six years ago...and I can't find it anymore...so why not restart it. B&M's inverted design has been one of the most successful roller coaster designs in history. How many have you ridden and where do you rank each?

1. Banshee - What's not to love? It's a massive, long ride with fantastically strong forces and perfect weightlessness where there's supposed to be weightlessness.
  2. Alpengeist - It's quite a lot like Banshee, but less refined. The mid-course brakes and second half water down the ride a bit.
  3. Flight Deck (California's Great America) - It's a small and hardly talked about invert but holy **** it packs a serious punch. Even the s-bend above the station is intense.
  4. Montu - Another unrefined B&M legend that has aged tremendously well with a layout that's second to none.
  5. Afterburn - Very similar to Montu. It's ultra intense and has a wonderful layout.
  6. Vampire/Batman: The Ride (La Ronde, SFMM, SFOG, SFSTl, SFGAm, SFGAdv) - It was cloned multiple times for good reason. Although it's on the shorter side, it has a quality layout.
  7. Patriot - It has four excellent inversions, especially it's amazing 0-g roll. It does wane a bit in intensity when compared to those above it.
  8. Dueling Dragons - Fire - It was really sad to see both Dragons get scrapped. Fire was the more intense of the two and featured a more interesting layout. I loved that wrap around immelmann.
  9. Raptor - It certainly is not a bad ride but I am a bit jaded.
  10. Silver Bullet - I don't get the hatred thrown at it. It isn't Banshee but it'll still hit you in the mouth.
  11. Dueling Dragons - Ice - While not as intense as Fire, the quick turns, cobra roll, and 0-g roll provided a fast paced ride.
  12. Talon - It's been 14 years...and it was not very memorable
  13. Great Bear - It's just too short. Give it another 1,000 feet and it'll be higher on the list.

Pear

Strata Poster
1. Alpengeist - Incredible ride with great speed, pacing, snap, and some of my favorite inversions.
2. Black Mamba - Really forceful and snappy with a great finale that snakes through theming. Nice footchoppers as well.
3. OzIris - Very fun invert with good variety of elements with some really nice theming.
4. Batman Clones - Surprisingly forceful and packs a big punch.
5. Afterburn - Really snappy but also lacking some forces besides the batwing and pullout of the loop. Overall pretty overrated, but still fun.
6. Silver Bullet - Forceless but still fun.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
1) Batman: The Ride(SFGAm)- This is such a great ride. Amazing setting, super smooth, and quite forceful without being excessive. I absolutely love this ride! What? Home park bias? Psssh, never heard of him.
2) Great Bear- Not too sure why this ride gets so much hate? Yeah, the ending isn't the best, but it's still a solid ride with a nice mix of elements. The whole thing where they couldn't put supports in the creek still amazes me.
3) Raptor- Nice long ride, but I sorta forgot about it? I know I rode it, but I don't remember much about it.
4) Dragon Challenge Horntail- I rode this well before I was an enthusiast, so I don't remember it. I also forgot to do Fireball, which I hear was the better side. Oh well.
5) Batman: The Ride(SFStL)- Jesus christ this ride was dire. I think this is a prime example of location being a factor in a ride's ranking. SFGAm's is over a wooded area and a pond, whereas this is over some gravel and overgrown grass. The queue was horrendous, too. Without a doubt the worst I've done.

Hutch

Strata Poster
1. Nemesis - Perfect ride. Undoubtedly has my favorite inversions and favorite helix, maybe even the best terrain interactions. It ends at the right time too.
2. Montu - Excellent layout. All the elements are top notch, and there's some decent trench interaction. The zero g roll and batwing combo is amazing.
3. Chinese Fireball - Definitely superior layout to Horntail. It has the immelmanns, extra corkscrew, and a floater hill. Both coasters were fantastic when they dueled but were still great even on their own.
4. Alpengeist - Great sense of speed and foot choppers. Cobra roll, zero g, and corkscrew are all great. MCBR transitioning is a little violent and the helix at the end is a little dull.
5. Hungarian Horntail - The beginning overbank turn is dull and the cobra roll is okay, but it has an excellent zero g roll and the rest of the layout is still decent.
6. Batman: The Ride (SFGAd) - Some great elements tightly packed together. Very intense, although some of the forces were close to being a little too much. Only got one ride though.
7. Nemesis Inferno - Simple, yet pretty solid layout, that doesn't waste any time. Great setting/theming. Main drawback is that the inversions, while fun, just aren't as snappy as the rides above.
8. Raptor - Good ride. The elements aren't as remarkable as others, and the middle portion of the layout isn't really exciting. Not the smoothest one out there but it could be a lot worse.
9. Great Bear - Layout could've (and probably should've) been much better, particular the beginning and end where it just wanders around. Inversions are fun, but they lack any real intensity.
10. Banshee - It's huge and fast and intense, but the intensity is found in the positive gs towards the ground and they kind of ruin the ride, especially with the rattle The inversions are too huge and drawn out, for example the zero g is pretty gentle. The ending was the best part though, being the turnaround/inline twist/helix combo.

I must say, besides maybe Banshee, I genuinely enjoy all of them. Very solid coaster model, and always look forward to riding one.

Will

Strata Poster
1. Katun
2. Nemesis
3. Vampire
4. Black Mamba
5. OzIris
6. Monster
7. Batman, Arkham Asylum, Madrid
8. Nemesis Inferno

I'd like to ride a lot more. As an old school coaster type person, you can't beat a B&M invert. Though it may be growing up in Staffordshire that led me to that belief :p

Edward M

Strata Poster
  1. Montu: Consistently intense with a solid theme and, best of all, a batwing
  2. Afterburn: Montu but a bit shorter with less theming and lines
  3. Raptor: had a great time with this which I wasn't expecting. Great invert.
  4. Batman SFGAdv: For some reason, I really loved this version despite generally disliking these clones. *shrugs*
  5. Silver Bullet: I was expecting much less, but it was a lot of fun.
  6. Goliath SFFT: The other good clone I've done but less theming.
  7. Great Bear: Fine.
  8. Patriot: Pretty usual B&M invert other than the Zero G.
  9. Batman SFOG: Solid lil ride.
  10. Dragons Ice RIP: When it was dueling, I would probably put it over Silver Bullet. In reality, I knew it mostly as a subpar B&M invert awkwardly close to another one.
  11. Nemesis Inferno: Better environment than most Batman clones but a worse layout
  12. Batman SFSL: Eh
  13. Dragons Fire: Too intense for me really
  14. Batman SFMM: Only ride was painful

Last edited:

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
My favourite coaster type!

1: Katun - So forceful!
2: Pyrenees - Amazing!
3: Montu - Batwing!
4: Nemesis -quite fab
5: Black Mamba - quite fab
6: Dragon Challenge Blue - slightly better than meh
7: Dragon Challenge Red - meh
8: Nemesis Inferno - meh
9: Diavlo - Quite rough

Peet

Giga Poster
1. Nemesis - I grew up in Staffordshire too!
2. OzIris - Brilliant ride, would probably be high in my Top 10 if it wasn't in the shadow of Nemesis
3. Batman at Parque Warner - good intense layout but do we really need 2 vertical loops?
4. Nemesis Inferno

That's it - hmm quite a small proportion of my count compared with everyone else!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Because I'm lazy, I just took @Antinos' write-up and reordered. :p
  1. Banshee - What's not to love? It's a massive, long ride with fantastically strong forces and perfect weightlessness where there's supposed to be weightlessness.
  2. Afterburn - Very similar to Montu. It's ultra intense and has a wonderful layout.
  3. Raptor - It certainly is not a bad ride but I am a bit jaded.

4. Patriot - It has four excellent inversions, especially it's amazing 0-g roll. It does wane a bit in intensity when compared to those above it.
  5. Dueling Dragons - Fire - It was really sad to see both Dragons get scrapped. Fire was the more intense of the two and featured a more interesting layout. I loved that wrap around immelmann.
  6. Talon - It's been 14 years...and it was not very memorable
  7. Vampire/Batman: The Ride (La Ronde, SFMM, SFOG, SFSTl, SFGAm, SFGAdv) - It was cloned multiple times for good reason. Although it's on the shorter side, it has a quality layout.
  8. Silver Bullet - I don't get the hatred thrown at it. It isn't Banshee but it'll still hit you in the mouth.
  9. Dueling Dragons - Ice - While not as intense as Fire, the quick turns, cobra roll, and 0-g roll provided a fast paced ride.

mo237

Roller Poster
It's not a lot...

1. Nemesis - Stupidly intense, fun, and fits with the surrounding area really well.
2. Black Mamba - Another really intense ride, that junior immelmann though <3 Love the way it sticks so close to the ground as well.
3. Nemesis Inferno - Fun and ultra smooth, just not quite as intense as the other inverts I've done.

In short they're all great rides.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
1. Black Mamba - This beats Nemesis purely because it's constantly being updated and has more exciting near misses (i.e not just rocks)
2. Nemesis - Obviously a classic but just not as much going on as BM
3. Oz Iris - A pretty damn steep first drop and plenty of creative elements
4. Nemesis Inferno - Solid but lacks the near-misses or exciting elements of the others

1. Nemesis- I had Montu here for a while because it's a better coaster but Nemesis has the entire package, on top of being very unique.

2. Montu- I'm not a fan of inverts in general but Montu is bliss. Forceful but not too intense with a nice array of elements.

3. Oz'Iris- Very similar to Montu, well themed and a fun experience in general.

4. Afterburn- Yah it's intense but not too crazy intense and it's absolutely relentless without going to an extreme like Banshee.

5. Great Bear- I dislike super intense inverted coasters which might be evident by my list. Great Bear is floaty, fun, and unique.

6. Patriot- Very fun with one of the best zero G rolls ever.

7. Pyrenees- It is quite good and not super crazy intense but I don't remember a whole lot of the ride experience which might say it's sligjtly forgettable.

8. Raptor- I was typically a Raptor hater until the past few years. It's actually really fun and the end helix is incredible. Not too intense, either.

9. Nemesis Inferno- Underrated and actually quite a fun coaster despite being smaller than a lot of its counterparts.

10. Hungarian Horntail- A bit meh but still enjoyable. Wish I got to ride when it duelled.

11. Talon- I use to rate it higher but it didn't really stand out. It's very middle of the road despite still being a good ride.

12. Chinese Fireball- Decent but forgettable.

13. Alpengeist- It's a monster of a coaster and It's fairly rerideable without being too crazy intense. Doesn't satisfy me like some other inverted coasters do though.

14. Katun- Far too forceful for me, maybe my own fault for marathoning it too many times. It's a good coaster but it is just too much.

15. Silver Bullet- A bit meh and even though it's not too intense, it was very forgettable.

16. Batman: the Ride- I am not splitting these up. Vampire was the best one I've done with probably Diavlo being the worst because it's at a nasty ratty Japanese park and is actually rough with dollar store ghosts strung up as theming. They are just very intense, almost too much so.

17. Banshee- This will forever be my last. Way too much for me to the point where I felr really faint. It doesn't let up despite having a few fun elements. I don't like super intense so I was not a fan.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 - Montu - Full of force, with a wonderful layout and the Batwing, back row Batwing is amazing.
2 - Nemesis - Not far behind Montu really, if it had a Batwing instead of the turnaround it could be number 1.
3 - Black Mamba - More of a floaty invert rather than intense, much preferred the front of this than the back.
4 - Afterburn - Good, but not great, Batwing is the highlight obviously.
5 - Talon - Solid invert, best ride in the park, with some force and a bit of airtime.
6 - Raptor - Quite liked this, could interchange between 4 and 6 easily, will re-ride soon and see.
7 - Batman(s) - The most intense of the lot, but they lack charm, or size, or an interesting layout, just quick inversions and high G turns, but happy to ride them.
8 - Dragon Challenge (Fireball) - Quite liked the red side, but it's near the bottom of the list compared to the others.
9 - Great Bear - Not a fan really, the loop and Immelmann are good but that's all. Nice views of Skyrush tho.
10 - Nemesis Inferno - Poor compared to the others, lacks force, snap and the effects generally don't work.
11 - Dragon Challenge (Horntail) - Had a great Zero G but that was all I liked about it, felt like the drop was totally wasted, lots of dead spots of straight track or long turns, hence bottom.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
1. Nemesis. Obvs.
2. Montu. Big, bad, fast, and a very pretty colour scheme.
3. Black Mamba. Great ride, front row is amazing.
4 & 5. The Batmen. So forceful. Ridden 2, MM and GAdv, preferred the MM one but only because it looks better in blue than it does in yellow.
6 & 7. Duelling Dragons. Based on when they duelled, of course. Would no doubt be lower if I'd ridden them in their final years. Having trouble remembering them tbh, but I think I preferred the red one?
8. OzIris. Not big enough to be fast and swoopy, but not compact enough to be punchy and forceful. A strange middle-ground that just isn't very memorable.
9. Alpengeist. Huge and beautiful, but the first half is too fast and the MCBR kills it dead making the second half too slow. Weird.
10. N'Inferno. Not actually bad, just a bit small. Was better when all the effects worked.
11. Silver Bullet. Left no impression on me whatsoever. Don't know why exactly, it's just dull.

Alexandre Collet

Roller Poster
1. Montu : Smoothness, perfect pacing and inversions and obviously the Batwing
2. Katun : First Drop is Silver Star in Inverted, awesome inversions but a bit rattle
3. Oz’Iris : Perfect alternation between negative g forces and positive g forces
4. Silver Bullet : Like Oz’Iris but with an odd drop and a better spiral
5. Monster : Smoothness, excellent pacing, forceful inversions but theming is... monstrous
6. Batman The Ride : Great pacing, a bit too compact
7. Black Mamba : Great theming but too much spirals and lack of intensity
8. Raptor : A bad Monster, it hurts...

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
1. Katun: everything you could want from an old-school invert- fast, forceful, intense and perfectly paced
2. Nemesis: Awesome, but just not quite at the same level as Katun
3. Montu: Every element is an event - loved the tunnel, the pacing and the batwing
-------(significant gap)---------
4. Nemesis Inferno - Not quite sure why, but despite being shorter and smaller, it's smoother and has a better sensation of flight
5. Dragon Challenge (?) - Can't remember much about either of them, which probably speaks volumes. Seem to remember them being a forceless and a bit rough around the edges. But...they look fantastic? Incredibly creative layouts that must have made them a joy to ride back when they dueled
6. Batman la Fuga - One of the few coasters actually improved by VR, slightly smoother and better themed
7. Batman SFGAdv - Maybe it's because of Katun, but I didn't really find either of the BTR clones I've ridden to be as intense as they're made out to be. This specific one was by no means a bad ride and not rough - just nothing to write home about!

Pear

Strata Poster
1. Alpengeist - Incredible ride with great speed, pacing, snap, and some of my favorite inversions.
1. Banshee - Did not expect to like this as much as I did. Great positives and float on the top of the inversions. The final roll is really fun as well! I can't decide whether I like this more or less than Alpengeist so they're tied.
2. Black Mamba - Really forceful and snappy with a great finale that snakes through theming. Nice footchoppers as well.
3. OzIris - Very fun invert with good variety of elements with some really nice theming.
4. Batman Clones - Surprisingly forceful and packs a big punch.
5. Afterburn - Really snappy but also lacking some forces besides the batwing and pullout of the loop. Overall pretty overrated, but still fun.
6. Silver Bullet - Forceless but still fun.
7. Raptor - Boring

Snoo

The Legend
Mine is very similar to Antinos minues La Ronde and California.
  1. Banshee - Powerful. Smooth. Great sights. Everything you want in a major invert. While it's not the most powerful invert I've been on, it's definitely has the most forces all the way around.
  2. Afterburn - THE most powerful invert out there that I've been on. The ride is truly fantastic. Loved marathoning it a few years back in the back row with @Hixee. The pacing in some portions is the only determent.
  3. Montu - Fantastic as well. Pacing once again comes up but overall, sexy.
  4. Alpengeist - Pacing, like on most big inverts, was the only problem here. The giant inversions were great, just like on it's brothers, and failed to please rarely.
  5. Talon - I loved the ride itself. I just haven't ridden it since 2007 because Dorney. I just need to be reminded of the love.
  6. Batman: The Ride (SFMM, SFOG, SFStl, SFGAm, SFGAdv) -
  7. Patriot - This ride is an anomaly for me compared to others.
  8. Raptor - Just got refreshed on how fun this ride is when I rode it opening weekend. Can't besides pacing in the latter half, the ride hits you over and over. And considering it was built in 94, it has remained steady for quite some time.
  9. Silver Bullet - It was actually a good ride! Yeah it didn't blow you away but I have no idea where the hate comes from. Yeah, it's not the best, but not even close to the worst.
  10. Great Bear - SO MUCH POTENTIAL just to fall short. Killing me Bear!
  11. Dueling Dragons - Fire/Ice - Just pure suck. I really hated both sides. They had very little energy and even when dueling, it wasn't very good. I was part of the world glad they tore them down.