What's new

Rank the Refurbs (UK dark ride edition)

Sandman

Giga Poster
So 2023 seems to be the year of the refurb (in the UK at least).

Let's hear your opinions/rankings of the following reimagined dark rides that have reopened this year:
1. Duel / The Curse at Alton Manor
2. Valhalla
3. DBGT / Ghost Train
4. Nemesis Sub-Terra

In which order and why? Please only rank the ones you've done and do feel free to come back later to update and amend.

I'm very curious to see which of these attractions CF likes the most.

I've not yet been on any of these since their updates so i'll keep my mouth shut for now 🤐

Heth

Mega Poster
I've only done one of these and that's The Ghost Train.

It was utter garbage.

My short review is that very little happens in it at all, and what little does happen is mostly just some actors hamming it up. The effects were minimal and critically there were very few Ghosts. It is inexplicably worse than DBGT.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Ghost Train is a definite improvement on Derren, 50% fantastic bits and 50% 'could be improved' bits. But since it's actor-oriented improvements *should* be easy to make.

Adding on some from not this year. How about Bubbleworks vs Gruffalo? I loved both rides to bits and genuinely don't know which is better, but I am overdue for a reride on Gruffalo.

One more? Over the Hill vs Spooksville... yeah. The original absolutely blasts Spooksville in every way imaginable. Spooksville was a big downgrade in most ways and got rid of the fake ending which was criminal.

Go on then... X vs Walking Dead. That was an awful awful awful change and I sincerely hope it gets rethemed back to something good one day.

I've only done one of these and that's The Ghost Train.

It was utter garbage.

My short review is that very little happens in it at all, and what little does happen is mostly just some actors hamming it up. The effects were minimal and critically there were very few Ghosts. It is inexplicably worse than DBGT.

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but I have to disagree. For one, the entire experience is actually immersive and works.

I think Thorpe should be applauded for what they've managed to achieve with such a restrictive ride that was built with the purpose of heavily relying on VR.

It's like a dungeon's experience, a scare maze within a ride system at an inclusive cost. Great value. If actor-led experiences are not your thing I can understand why you might feel this way, but I think the level of criticism is unwarranted.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
I thought the Duel refurb is pretty great tbh. As always with Merlin, not done 100% properly but what they HAVE done is great.
There's a random section of complete darkness for no benefit or reason, and the story is a bit confusing.

Heth

Mega Poster
Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but I have to disagree. For one, the entire experience is actually immersive and works.

I think Thorpe should be applauded for what they've managed to achieve with such a restrictive ride that was built with the purpose of heavily relying on VR.

It's like a dungeon's experience, a scare maze within a ride system at an inclusive cost. Great value. If actor-led experiences are not your thing I can understand why you might feel this way, but I think the level of criticism is unwarranted.
I'm not sure why you think my "level of criticism is unwarranted"?

But I don't dislike actor led attractions in general. I disliked THIS one. I thought THIS one was bad.

I love the Dungeons attractions, Heck I've done 5 of them. They have many different rooms, each with ornate details, unique stories, good humour and plenty of excellent special effects. The acting is a balance of some 'ham' but also menace and intrigue.

The Ghost Train is repetitive in the acting, the effects are minimal and the theming of the Crypt is mostly just black curtains and Halloween props. There are 7 rooms if I'm being charitable. Of these are 2 preshow rooms (both well themed and highlights of the experience), 1 is the station, 1 is the exit shop, 2 are the trains. There is one room left for the main action and it was medicare at best. Both me and my friend visiting came off and said "was that it?"

Whilst I've seen some positive reviews from enthusiasts, you only have to see the reviews from the GP on Facebook to see this ride is getting absolutely savaged. I'm being kind to the experience compared to them!

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you think my "level of criticism is unwarranted"?

This line is why:

It's inexplicably worse than DBGT.

I just fail to see how Ghost Train gives a worse experience than having broken VR headsets strapped to your face for half the ride. At least there is some effort at consistent immersion, which is more than can be said for DBGT.

You must have experienced a dire run-through, because what you describe is completely unlike my experience. I'm not disputing your experience, but imo all the rooms mentioned nailed the ominous atmosphere, delivered scares and humour in a perfectly balanced nature.

The crypt was a clear highlight on our run-through's and timed perfectly with the beats of the ride to divert attention and deliver scares where necessary.

It's almost like you've described a different ride!

Still, I'm sure the admins would rather not have this divulge into a lengthy debate clogging up the thread. So I shall just say I hope that you have a run through of Ghost Train more akin to mine in the future!

Heth

Mega Poster
Unless the actors forgot to put out a lot of scenery and effects in the Crypt and throughout the ride that morning, and completely changed the storyline and pacing of the ride I sincerely doubt a different run would change my mind.

I think we experienced the same thing, except you liked it and thought it was well done and I didn't at all.