What's new

PTR - Disneyland and DCA 5/3/2014

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
I get to visit sunny SoCal for the weekend on business, and got a day off to visit the Happiest Place on Earth...

Maybe not. I estimate that DL had 8,500 people per hour worth of rides closed...its basically a holiday weekend as we are 100ish miles from Mexico and Cinco de Mayo is on Monday. This sign found was after some major struggle just to get into the park. For some reason the main garage was closed, and we ended up having to do two circles just to park in Downtown Disney parking. Just to truly punish they had no shuttle coverage from there, so we got to walk the length of DTD at 9:30am.

The park was busy...

I have local family that met me at the park. Upon seeing 60+ for everything on the tip board we went to Mansion, which was at full queue (about 15 minutes). 10 minutes into the line we got the dreaded "we are down and we are not sure how long" message from a CM. Well piss.

At this point it was no 10:50, almost 2 hours on property and no attractions. We decided to grab an early lunch, and this seemed to turn our day around.

I love this restaurant, maybe my favorite quick service food place in any park. After this we ran thru the Castle to do the Sleeping Beauty walk through. We stopped by the front for the usually pics.

I didnt get any pics of the walk through but I feel like some of it has been updated. Some cool little animations and an easy way to burn 5 minutes on a busy day.

Since the family had a small one we jumped into some of the Fantasyland stuff, we stuck to the Storybrook area, then hit up Toontown for some Roger Rabbit.

While they rode the boats I snuck off for a single rider on Matterhorn. The mountain is as bumpy as ever, I swear the new seats rape your spine worse than the old ones.

We decided to stop by Innovention to check out some Marvel crap, since we "only" get that stuff at IOA back home in Orlando. All of the characters had 20-30 min waits, and were behind closed doors. So we got a few picks of some other crap.

The whole exhibit is pretty neat, especially if you are a Marvel nerd. Again, this area was heaving so we couldn't do the proper meet n' greets, that being said if I really wanted pictures of men in spandex I would run up to East Hollywood.

We decided to make our way over to California Adventure, as a member of the party had never been. This park looked busy, but I would guess 50% of the park was in Radiator Springs. We started off with the Animation Studio, then a little Monsters Inc.

We walked passed the Hollywood Tower Hotel, picking up some FastPasses, then went to inspect Radiator Springs. At this point my cell phone was dying so the pics started slowing down, we did single rider on Racers and got in after 25 minutes. Not bad when the regular queue was posted at 140. Racers is still a fun ride with great animatronics. Tower is Tower, even with no 5th dimension it is the best dark ride in the world. By the time we finished that we ran back to ride Tower, on a whim we stopped at the Aladdin show. For anyone who doesn't know the show its 45 minutes, but a great 45. Lots of improv and updated material from Gennie. After the show we decided to run back to DL and watch the parade, I had seen it before so I only got 1 pic of Mickey rocking on the drums, I'm babbling....

Surprisingly we ended up spending 9 hours in the parks. Overall it was an OK day considering the putrid start it got of to. No celebs this time but as always with Cali the weather was beautiful and the women even better. After a 30 min drive back down the 5 freeway we finished the night the way any proper visit to SoCal should finish. Double Double with Animal Fries.

peep

CF Legend
Nice report, really enjoyed reading it. Sounds like you got a fair amount done considering the crowds.

What the hell are animal fries? Just looks like someone vommed over your chips.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
peep said:
Nice report, really enjoyed reading it. Sounds like you got a fair amount done considering the crowds.

What the hell are animal fries? Just looks like someone vommed over your chips.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Cheese, In N Out Spread (comparable to Big Mac sauce but not watered down), and grilled onions.

In N Out has a "secret menu" for ordering their burgers and fries, and have quite the cult following.

Yeah, we got a lot more done then we figured we would after the rough start. We left around 7 so we could have probably fit in the rest of DCA if we wanted to, but after the parade we were gassed.