What's new

Potato coaster at a world of jam (K2 at Karl's Erlebnis-Dorf nr Berlin)

davidm

Strata Poster
Just back from a little break to Berlin. You don't want to know about the reasonably large amount of Berlin beer I consumed or the various
culture-credits I obtained do you? You only want to know about the +1 involved, so here we go...

For a major city, Berlin has a dearth of roller coasters. The one large park (Spreepark) has long been abandoned (you can do guided tours of
the place but my timing was off so I did not get to do that on this trip). There's a butterfly in a park well North of the city (but there's
no way I was going out of my way for a butterfly FFS). But earlier this year a little chain of destination jam-shops (yes really) decided
to open a little coaster within the Berlin transport zone, so I spent a morning heading out there.

The place is 'Karls Erlebnis-Dorf Elstal' (The chain is "Karl's", this place is the "Adventure Village")

https://www.karls.de/elstal.html

Getting there from central Berlin was not too bad could get a train out to Elstal (zone C in the travel-zone) and then there was a bus that
would take you the last couple of km. Elstal is not a throbbing metropolis, being mostly a deserted train-yard and a few run down out
of town industrial units, there was an outlet-store village nearby and Karl's but that seemed to be it.

Anyway the train/bus timing was a bit off and the next bus was 1/2 hour after the train arrived, so I walked it instead and arrived at the
park about 30s before the bus did.

The place is free-entry, but pay to ride the coaster - its a very strange place though - genuinely an industrial sized jam shop. The stench of
strawberry-jam thick in the air as you head into the cavernous indoor jam shop.

So. Much. Jam.

There's a lot of other food products for sale inside too - jams of various varieties (mostly Strawberry though) and all this "homely" produce
sort of thing going on.

Anyway, not here for jam am I so get a "day-pass" for €12 (it is €4.5 per ride and I thought I'd right it a couple of times at least) and
dashed thru the jam-shop to the outdoor zone.

The coaster is part of what looks like a whole new section of the outdoor section as it is build into a building that also houses a restaurant
thingy and the gift shoppe. Its all very new-looking and pretty impressive to be honest. Its also all themed to potatoes. Everything that is,
cafe, shop and roller coaster. Potato themed. Honestly. Bonkers.

So head into the potato-shop and the entrance to the coaster, K2 is within ("K2" must be some potato reference rather than the big mountain,
but I didn't see any explanation to why its named that anywhere)

https://rcdb.com/15490.htm

OK the queue-line for this (there was no queue but you have to traverse the whole queue line) is ridiculously highly themed - like world
class queue line themeing, video-screens, models, themed rooms, artwork, signs... all potato themed of course...

(all the below is the queue)

(ahh moonshine, best potato-product here then)

Yay, enough of the potatoes, we get to the station.

Trains are little two-carriage jobs. Two adults or 3 kids per carriage, sat in-line. Just a seat belt and you take bags on board with you
(there was a bag drop area too if you didn't want to do that). Trains are themed to wagons for carrying potatoes around in, so I guess that
us the passengers have now taken on the identity of a potato now? I sit in the back for my first ride.

First bit of the ride is a little dark-ride section - again pretty well themed and with a couple of "scary surprises" in it - little mini
drop and a quick-brake section while some dark-ride stuff happens. You end up coming out of a tunnel beneath a load of potato-crops and
head onto the left hill.

Its obviously a kiddie-friendly ride, but I thought it was lot more worthy than most kiddie-rides, certainly a lot smoother and more
comfortable than many a kiddie-coaster. Quite quick and sections towards the start with the hint of some floaty airtime - guess the small
light weight carriages combined with a reasonable amount of speed lets that happen.

Half way round we end up on top of the building inside a small themed tower-room, then the second half of the ride is mostly quick helices
nipping around at ground level before we head back inside and onto (well next to) a conveyor belt carrying, you guessed it, more potatoes
and a small lift back into the station.

So actually really good for what it is. Ride op takes pity on me and lets me through a gate to re-ride it without having to walk thru
the queue line again and I ride it in the front this time, no great difference to the back, back was probably a bit more comfortable but
that's about it.

The exit line is a lot shorter that the queue, but still the potato themeing goes on as you head back into the cafe/gift shop space at roof
level.

There's stuff going on outside the building too, like this guy who pops up and berates you about something presumably potato-based in German.

I ride it a couple more times, just to get my € worth.

The rest of the outdoor section has a fair amount of other kiddy-entertainment-friendly activities, slides, swings, farmyard animals and
the like.

Laugh at Kings Island's antique-cars, this place has antique-tractors!

Mazes

Gearing up for pumpkin-festivals (I think that actually started the following day, expect it was more themed to the vegetable rather than any
halloween-stuff though)

Think this was a display of ice-sculptures, but didn't look worth the upcharge so I didn't

And since it was lunchtime by then, and I'd spent the time riding the potato-themed coaster, and there I was in a potato-themed cafe place,
I had some potato-based lunch (and a beer of course, not potato-based though)

OK that was worth the couple of hours effort I think, get a bus back to the train station and head back into Berlin to continue "normal"
tourist activities (Charlottenburg Schloss that afternoon if you are interested (I know you are not) and a few hipster-beers in the East
Side of the city that night)

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've noticed this place a couple of times and thought it'd be worth looking into. It looks so quirky! Glad to know it's reasonable to get to, might work it into a 2019 trip.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Great report! I'm eyeing Berlin for a possible trip in the coming months and this looks like a decent +1 to nab while there. I had no clue they're still offering guided tours around Spreepark, I was certain those were discontinued for a while...

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yeah I thought it was a really well presented place, like a tourist trap that isn't crap.
When I rode the dark ride section wasn't done, so all the lights were off, but the queue made up for it. One of the screens had a loop of footage of a kid just slowly eating potato chips, which was funny/creepy.
The coaster itself was just roller-skater level, but this is fine.
It would be great if they continue to expand to the vacant land behind the coaster and actually grow into a proper park.

In terms of the name, I thought K2 might mean Karls Kartoffelchips?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
That coaster looks strangely fun! Place reminds me a bit of a sort of Hershey's Chocolate World/Heini's Cheese Chalet type place but with a coaster. First time hearing of that manufacturer too. Great report as always!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's so much of a tradition now, that I'll often see a particular angle of a coaster and think "Ooo, I'll try one of those Morton block violation shots here". You'll likely see a few pop up in my trip report over the coming weeks. :p

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Thanks for doing a report of this relatively obscure park! K2 is intriguing on many accounts, from the unusual manufacturer to its unusual theme. Did not expect that much scenery around it, but it looks really nice! Glad to hear it rides fairly well for what it is.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Place looks lovely, nice report.
My friend just told me about another "Karls Erlebnisdorf" park in Rostock, relatively close to Hansa Park, where they are getting a beer themed coaster in 2020! Apparently there will be an elevator lift through a brew kettle <3 https://rcdb.com/16270.htm