Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible new Attraction for Busch Gardens Williamsburg / DarKastle closes

Discussion in 'News & Rumours' started by Intricks, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Intricks

Intricks Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Kennywood
    Coaster Count:
    Busch Gardens have submitted plans for the construction of an attraction at 315ft tall. If approved, they have 36 months to begin construction if the attraction or the permit is revoked.

Some stipulations for this is the paint job over 60ft must be muted in color, no lights after 60ft, and any light pointing upwards must be directed at a veritcal wall (so not the ride itself?).

Source is http://www.vagazette.com/news/vanew...building-a-new-attraction-20170802-story.html

Since the permit/waiver would be allowed to be held for 3 years, could this potentially be a coaster? The only other style attraction I can see this being would be either an Observation Tower styled attraction, or a wind-seeker styled attraction for the park - both of which the park lacks, but somwhat has thanks to Mach Tower.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi likes this.
  2. CoasterMac305

CoasterMac305 Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    I don't want to say it out loud for the fear of anticipointment, but we could seriously be looking at a Giga coaster here. The park has filed permits to test soils (to be performed by the same company that did soil tests for Tempesto and InvadR, I should add) on both sides of the river, suggesting whatever this is could cross the river. I will CRY if there ends up being 3 giga coasters within 5 hours of each other.

3. Intricks

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Kennywood
    Coaster Count:
    Is there any part of the park lower than the rest? Cause its mentioned in the article that the testing balloon was about as visible as Mach Tower, Apollo and Griffon outside the park.

4. daviddoc

daviddoc Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    too tricky to decide
    Coaster Count:
    I'd think a falcons fury style drop tower would be more likely than a giga.

theChainLift likes this.
  5. ATI

ATI Spammer of the Year & Most Improved Member CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    It's not going to be a giga.

theChainLift likes this.
  6. Intricks

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Kennywood
    Coaster Count:
    ^^ Already have Mach Tower, no need for a 2nd drop tower.

^ It could or could not be. All thats been stated, from the article, is that it will be 315ft tall and once approved they have 3yrs to begin construction.

Wont lie, I do hope it is a coaster rather than a flat, but it more than likely will end up being a wind-seeker style ride.

peep likes this.
  7. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    There was mention on the reddit thread that there have also been soil samples from both sides of the river? That seems to suggest they're going to build something that crosses it (only visited once but I assume that would be similar to Apollo's chariot?).

I'm going to wait for more solid info to come out before getting excited about that park adding something ridiculously big.

8. Intricks

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Kennywood
    Coaster Count:
    Whelp....based off of a news report this morning from one of their local news station - its a coaster that will be voted upon next week. Granted this is the first instance of any news outlet from the area claiming it to be one (the rest have all just stated attraction).

Ive also realized this is going near the Italy/Spain area, and how close it would potentially be to Apollos Chariot.

9. roomraider

roomraider Best Topic Starter 2016 CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis/Sky Skrapper
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    They mean the local governance (Locals as well?) will vote on allowing the permits for the attraction at all rather than something like the name.
    Really looking forwards to this if it does go ahead.

10. Swoosh

Swoosh Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Millennium Force
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    If they didn't already have MACH TOWER I'd agree... but since they already have a drop tower...

This is Project MADRID, FYI

11. Jarrett

Jarrett Most Obnoxious Member 2016 CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Fiesta Texas
    Coaster Count:
    My guess is that it's going to be a starflyer. They're all the rage now and it would be taller than KD's, plus if Blackstone's financial situation is as bad as it sounds they simply couldn't afford one.

12. Intricks

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Kennywood
    Coaster Count:
    ^ Thats everyones consensus, but lets face it - there has been some out-in-left-field announcements in the past that stay in the back of everyones mind. The fact that soil testing has been stated to have happened on both sides of the river points to something spanning said river; however, it IS Busch Gardens Williamsburg and I dont suspect much in regards to a coaster being built (regardless of what I would prefer/hope to see).

That being said, they have been focussing on more of those type of attractions recently, and regardless of their financial situation, they could still build a costly investment that would have a major return towards the park financially. The GP are easily swayed, and even the miniscule 10ft height difference between whatever this is and I305 (or comparitive height difference between similar attractions at both parks) would still be an amazing marketing point to help push season pass sales, as well as tickets, the season it opens.

Plus Ive been reading around and everybody seems to be stating the same thing: Low hopes for coaster with high expectations of a Starfyler. Although many have pointed out that lack of a lighting package would make it kind of odd.

13. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

Tell that to Gröna Lund. Having a bajillion tower rides already doesn't deter them from building a dozen or two more each season.

14. Swoosh

Swoosh Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Millennium Force
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    This isn't Gröna Lund though. What another park does doesn't have anything to do with BGW

15. Intricks

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Kennywood
    Coaster Count:
    While it doesnt, it does help the argument of "This park already have one, but built more of the same type of ride". Tbf, and these examples are off the top of my head:

- Cedar Point built Power Tower while still running Demon Drop
    - Dorney took Demon Drop after they already had a triple tower set-up
    - Hershey literally just opened up 3 drop towers of different height this season.

Its still uncommon for a park to do the same type of flat, but it isnt outright unheard of so long as each ride can be marketed as either being for a different demographic (Hershey) or offer a different ride experience (Grona Lund, Dorney, CP).

theChainLift likes this.
  16. Swoosh

Swoosh Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Millennium Force
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    The issue with your argument (and examples) is that there was a "twist" - they offered spaceshots which are not drop rides. Also Dorney only has 2 S&S tower rides. The third leg is empty. HP basically opened a 3 legged S&S tower ride but chose to put them in a row instead of a cluster.

17. GuyWithAStick

GuyWithAStick Captain Basic Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    It's approved! http://wydaily.com/2017/08/08/busch...county-approves-315-foot-tall-attraction-biz/

The fact that the article says this attraction could bring visitors from around the world is very interesting. I'd like to say this rules out the Star Flyer, due to its size compared to other versions out there. I don't want to jump on the giga coaster bandwagon just yet, but it's certainly looking more and more like it'll be one.

peep likes this.
  18. Hixee

Hixee Moderator Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    That just sounds like marketing speak to me. It's not like they're going to say "This ride should bring in a handful more visitors from the Williamsburg township", are they? ;)

I mean, that's not to say it won't be something world class, but I don't see that as any sort of confirmation.

Pokemaniac and Lofty like this.
  19. daviddoc

daviddoc Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    too tricky to decide
    Coaster Count:
    It'll probably just turn out to be an observation tower! Whilst I'd love a new giga, I'm keeping low expectations for now.

Having said that, 315 is a little taller than 305, so they may be doing it to give the finger to King's Dominion and claim tallest coaster in Virginia!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  20. ATI

ATI Spammer of the Year & Most Improved Member CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    It won't be a giga. SeaWorld won't have the money to spend.

MestnyiGeroi likes this.