What's new

PortAventura - August 2010 (HD VID)

Kebab

Giga Poster
Hey people, haven't posted on here in a good while so I thought this is a good way to start. Just recently made my second visit to PortAventura in Salou, and I must say I'm equally as impressed as my last trip. Nothing much was changed since 2008, but it's nice to see Templo Del Fuego up and running and everything going nice and smoothly, apart from one night where there was a diabolical storm in which they shut down the whole park by 10pm, not good. Here's the video, I hope you enjoy and I'll give you a brief review and comparison of my trip now from last time, so hope you enjoy. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gWhWKKs2BM[/youtube]
Dragon Khan:
2008 = 10/10
2010 = 10/10

RIMG0352.jpg

Khan is the image of a masterpiece, B&M when at it's greatest and still remains one of my top rollercoasters. It never lets up from the initial drop to the brakes; nice floaty drop into a brutally forceful twisted layout, and even though it boasts 8 incredible inversions, it never becomes uncomfortable. I wasn't expecting anything much from it because I whored the crap out of it in 2008, managing a total of 18 rides, but still as fun and intense as ever! The blue train seems to run flawlessly this time round, I'm not sure what it is but it's got a great kick to it. Great ride to whore when the queues are short!

Furius Baco:
2008 = 7/10
2010 = 9/10

RIMG0199-1.jpg

Furius Baco is one of those rollercoasters that is constantly slated for giving a disappointing overall ride, and with extreme discomfort above that. In 2008, Baco kicked a punch alright, but I thought the layout was dull and uninspired, leaving for a slightly bitter outcome. The trains were of a new calibre, but really it just felt like a stretched out sped-up version of Rita, and I'm not the biggest fan of Rita. Riding it again taking my previous experience into mind, I decided to try the front-inside seat and for a night-ride instead. It was great! Certainly a lot more thrilling at night, the launch felt a million times more stronger at the front, lovely ejector down the first drop, and it was actually really, really smooth. It ended so well I actually come to say it's the best ride at night in the whole park! Brilliant surprise.

Stampida:
2008: 3/10
2010: 8/10

RIMG0025.jpg

Oh dear where to start with this bad boy. After an extremely unpleasant couple of rides on both trains back in 2008, which left me battered and bruised, aching from head to toe, and stapled in like God knows what so I felt non-existant air-time I had big worries about this one. I remember in a topic a while back I was arguing with a member on the fact they said Stampida "has" air-time, which I didn't get at all in 2008, I took a few tips by sitting on the red train at the back, leaning my bum forward so I can get some decent slack, and had enough space to fit my arm through easily... That made a massive difference! The drop alone consists of so much air-time I struggled to keep my hands up through the entirety of the drop, then the rest of the layout has some great pops too out of surprise. It also seemed a lot smoother when they only ran the red train round, it was absolutely brilliant... Still one of the roughest coasters in the world, but great fun!

Hurakan Condor
2008: 8/10
2010: 10/10

RIMG0309.jpg

If you don't know, Hurakan Condor is that big thing perving across the skyline; in the background. It's one of the only rides I've come across that gives me chills even after several rides of it, I mean, Apocalypse was bad enough, nearly double the size then you got Condor. Eugh. Not to say I didn't like it, as a matter of fact, it's an experience to die for, it's just getting the balls and courage to stand it. In 2008 I only managed a ride on the sit-down side, I had to go through a very tedious single-rider queue which I don't actually recommend, you're better off tagging along in the main queue. It gave me a lovely view, you can't go wrong at a height of over 300 feet and a view spanning across the gorgeous Spanish coastline, the drop was great but I didn't feel that much surprisingly. Coming back in 2010, it was a whole new experience, this time I wasn't alone, and I managed the guts to go on at night. But I must say overall the stand-up floorless is a must, and being male it didn't actually cause too much pain surprisingly, but it's a great floaty drop from top to bottom, just perfection in terms of drop tower standards. Although I didn't notice the tilt at all, does it actually tilt?

Again I'll keep coming back to pop a few more reviews on :) Especially Sea Odyssey, such a disappointment this year :?

Casio

Mega Poster
Great report and great video! I was there 10th to the 17th and it was incredible, in fact from the vid I think you may have been on Condor whilst I was in the single rider Queue?

Completely agree with all your reviews, especially with Stampida, it completely exceeded my expectations. (except for the fact that it bitchily threw my phone out of pocket)

Top report.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Thanks for the reply Casio :)

I've probably seen you about the park then yeah, I went 11th to the 18th so theres a high chance you might've been in the single riders queue. I managed a good 4-5 rides on Condor in the week, the stand-up floorless side is incredible, can't lie I did **** my pants! :lol:

It ran so much better this time round than last time, in 2008 it just felt like a constant grinding feel as it was shooting across the track, it was horrible. This year it's running a lot more like a woodie should, brutal as anything, brilliant :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it threw your phone out your pocket, I'm sure in 2008 it nearly castrated me :shock:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's interesting that your ratings have improved over the two years. I wonder if that's down to riding more coasters in the interim or enjoying a different experience at the park this time around.

Lovely photo of Dragon Khan btw, but I still don't want it's babies.

Kebab

Giga Poster
^I think it was because this time round I visited with a friend, and I felt more at home with the park after visiting in 2008, so yeah I suppose it was enjoying a different experience. Stampida is the only coaster that really blew my expectations away on a high, like I've stated before it seems to be running better this time around, and actually gives a better experience while running just one of the trains. Maybe it's the vibrations from the opposing train affecting the overall smoothness? I'm not quite sure :?

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Great report.

For me,PortAventura is everything a park should be,I just fell in love with the place,it's just one place I don't think I could ever get bored with.

Ian said:
Lovely photo of Dragon Khan btw, but I still don't want it's babies.

I do,and I don't care if I get raped in the process.

Casio

Mega Poster
Tell me about, Stand Up is insane. First time I did it I was single rider so they wouldn't let me choose, and I was ordered straight on. Brilliant drop though.

And yeah, I've done very few woodies, but it really runs as I imagine they should, could do with some nets underneath it though :--D

yinyang

Mega Poster
Awesome video and song choice dude. Love the photos too and some the night shots/landscape shots, and the one of the fountains behind baco. I thoroughly enjoyed this thread/topic, so thanks for posting :)

Kebab

Giga Poster
Thanks for all the comments everyone, glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm going to add my thoughts on about Hurakan Condor actually, now Casio has brought it up, I'll just re-edit my original post. And Dragon Khan sounds like a bit of a slag, mind you I've had 30 rides off it now ;)

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Hey,

Enjoyed the report, thanks for posting.

Might seem like a daft question, but was the Log Flume open?

Cheers!

Jools

Giga Poster
I feel I should have done a report, but now there is your I basically agree with everything you have said I thought that Stamlida was a little underrated, although I do find Dragon Khan overrated and Furios Baco underrated too, I prefer Baco way more over Khan, Khan didn't have that kick it needed, I had all day fast past and I went on it in literally every position possible, and the only moment that really kicked was the Zero-G, but yeh.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Jools said:
I feel I should have done a report, but now there is your I basically agree with everything you have said I thought that Stamlida was a little underrated, although I do find Dragon Khan overrated and Furios Baco underrated too, I prefer Baco way more over Khan, Khan didn't have that kick it needed, I had all day fast past and I went on it in literally every position possible, and the only moment that really kicked was the Zero-G, but yeh.

I was pleasantly surprised with Baco, I read on here and other sites that it was rubbish and wasnt worth bothering with, but did it as first ride the last time I went to PA and loved it, it is underated imo.

Khan can be badly effected by the wind as I found out during my last visit, it was pretty sluggish because it was so windy.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Scott88 said:
Might seem like a daft question, but was the Log Flume open?
Yeah, pretty much every ride was running throughout the whole 7 days, I think Furius Baco was down for a few hours and so was Stampida. I really like Silver River Flume, the last drop is surprisingly long! :)

Jools said:
Stamlida was a little underrated, although I do find Dragon Khan overrated and Furios Baco underrated too, I prefer Baco way more over Khan, Khan didn't have that kick it needed
Stampida is finely rated in my opinion, it's a great ride and I really enjoy it (at times), but it's far too rough to give a steady judgement on it. It's dependant on too much i.e: the rider; their pain threshold; train; weather conditions; seat, it's just simply too hard to get the perfect ride out of it.

I do like Baco, but I find it way too much of a gimmick, it has so much potential to be a better ride, that's what I really dislike about Baco. It's got a great theme, an interesting train, great launch, but the layout does nothing for me. It just deteriorates after the initial drop, and feels like a flat version of Rita but with an inline, the inline however is sensational. If it was a little bit smoother, and had a little more to the layout other than meandering around a few banked turns, Furius Baco would be brilliant! But as it stands, it's an acer, but no masterpiece.

The thing you have to understand about Dragon Khan and also Kumba, is that it's influenced the B&M's of today (look at Kraken, it's 'near' enough a clone of Dragon Khan), and these models are took for granted of being one some of the worlds most popular and enjoyable rollercoasters. The special thing about classic B&M's is their wild pacing, insane forces and unbelievable sense of speed which you don't get with modern B&M's anymore. Dragon Khan to me, is the perfect blueprint of what a steel looping coaster should be, and it's far greater than anything we have here in the UK.