What's new

Pleasure Island and a quick trip to Bridlington, PTR

Emmett

Giga Poster
So another weekend started off with me visiting the rather exotic seaside location of Cleethorpes, but more importantly it was for my first visit to Pleasure Island. The park is situated just a few minutes south of the town.

I’ll admit I wasn’t expecting much from the park and guessed it may have been a rather short visit but to my surprise the park was pretty good. I didn’t really know what the park had to offer apart from what the guide had but there was plenty to see and do. The park also stayed very quiet during the day probably due to the menacing looking sky and luckily this meant no queues on most of the attractions.

Luckily I got in on one of the 3 for 2 vouchers which worked at about £12 which was pretty good and if you catch the park on one of the days the shows are running that works out at great value for money. Unfortunately I had missed out on the Basil Brush show, as I’m a big fan but the show will back in the summer along with some new High School Musical type show.

The next day I also took a quick trip up to Bridlington for the 2 small parks which occupy the seafront area in the town. I had been looking forward to the lethal Crazy Mouse coaster but on arrival I found out it had been removed so it was left to the Grand Canyon/Mine Train coaster and £3 power boat to amuse me for a little while before snapping some photos and then heading off.

Welcome to Cleethorpes.

P1020381.jpg

The park and entrance and ticket booths at Pleasure Island.

P1020343.jpg

I wasn't expecting much, but the theming around the restaurants/shop areas of the park was pretty nice. It reminded me of the good old days at Pleasureland with Moroccan style buildings.

P1020281.jpg

Whoops, I just missed out on Basil Brush by a week and I didn't even check to see if the High School Musicial show was on instead. I couldn't be bothered sitting through that.

P1020101.jpg

This was the closest I came to him but the machine was broken.

P1020341.jpg

The park was easy enough to navigate with most of the attractions surrounding the lake all the way around.

P1020137.jpg

If you couldn't be bothered walking there was a mini train to bring you around the far side area of the park.

P1020141.jpg

The first stop of the day was the Boomerang. I stayed on a couple of times as the park was pretty quiet but I had enough after that.

P1020050.jpg

Roughness was about the same as the other models I've been on but I was more afraid of smaking my mouth of the back of the front seats.

P1020057.jpg

The park was spotless and looked well kept with all the trees, greenery, etc.

P1020144.jpg

P1020151.jpg

The Astra slides.

P1020066.jpg

Just across the lake was Hydromax the booster ride. The cycle on this was crazy like most of the other flats at Pleasure Island.

P1020221.jpg

Next up was the Mini Mine Train. Thank god there are some coasters in the park because the flat rides really can wear you out quickly.

P1020229.jpg

Nice bit of theming and the coaster was pretty good.

P1020100.jpg

Depending on how big the queues got you either got an extra circuits or two or you could just stay on.

P1020089.jpg

I really enjoyed Hyperblaster. It doesn't look much because of its small height but it gives a huge lift at the top.

P1020096.jpg

This was the Century 2000, a quirky kind of ride which reminded me of an old style bouncy bouncy. Good fun and I really enjoyed it.

P1020126.jpg

Just across from Century 2000 was Alkazam the parks Huss Flyaway. I thought that looks great and it got good ratings so I decided to give it a go.

P1020232.jpg

Bloody hell, the worst decision I've ever made. It started off okay but once it reaches its full height the whole combination of been shaken about by the high winds, been trapped inside those horrible restraints and then starting to feel sick from the spinning motion took its toll on me once I exited the ride.

P1020230.jpg

Probably not the best thing to go on if you are anyway claustrphobic.

P1020111.jpg

Seeming as I was still shaken up I went searching for some food and to sit down and take a break. You certainly wont go hungry in the park as there seemed to be a lot of food outlets for such a small park. And there was always one closeby.

P1020082.jpg

I tried this small foot outlet beside the indoor merry go round. The food was okay and it was resonably priced for a park.

P1020310.jpg

This was the loading station for the cycle monorail which travels around the Moroccan themed area.

P1020234.jpg

The other monorail was the electric one which travelled around at the far side of the park.

P1020200.jpg

After lunch and bit of relaxing at the lake I stopped off at the fantastic looking Frisbee ride Pendulus.

P1020159.jpg

Another intense cycle but at least I could manage to get off without feeling too rough.

P1020208.jpg

I loved the attention to detail all over the ride and I was very impressed by it.

P1020215.jpg

A quick trip over for another go on Boomerang and to try and get some photos.

P1020266.jpg

P1020153.jpg

The Terror Rack which I gave a miss. And so did most other people, I only saw this running a few times throughout the day.

P1020263.jpg

Fun on the lake pedal boats.

P1020260.jpg

Another flat ride which I gave a miss was Obliterator. The name certainly put me off. So I decided to get some photos for the guide as it was missing.

Obliterator001.jpg

There must have been only a few brave people in the park that day, as I only saw a handful of people riding it while I was taking photos.

Obliterator003.jpg

Nice colour scheme but they could have done something a bit better with the 'Obliterator' wording down the supports.

Obliterator003.jpg

Obliterator005.jpg

Hmm, comfy seating.

Obliterator006.jpg

A few of the other attractions around the park. The Falls of Fear water slide.

P1020336.jpg

The Paratower with Boomerang in the background.

P1020340.jpg

Some of the kiddie rides. The Go-Gator.

P1020287.jpg

The waltzer style kiddie ride.

P1020290.jpg

The next day I hit Bridlington hoping to find the Crazy Mouse but had to make do with the other various attractions along the seafront.

P1020485.jpg

The 2 parks are situated side by side and operate on a token system. The first park along the promenade is Carousel Park.

P1020508.jpg

Not too much here to get excited about. The inflatable ride replaced the Crazy Mouse and apart from the Miami Fever most of the other rides were for younger children.

P1020524.jpg

And further on down the promenade was the Bayside Fun Park.

P1020509.jpg

There was a better selection of rides in the Bayside Fun Park end of the promenade with the Grand Canyon mini coaster, the Jungle River water ride and the bumper cars.

P1020511.jpg

The standard Jungle River ride which every small park seem to have bought over the past few years.

P1020451.jpg

The Grand Canyon mini coaster.

P1020573.jpg

There were plenty of amusements, souvenir shops, cafes and ice cream places on the opposite side of the seafront. I had some lovely ice cream from one place and the chips were pretty nice too.

P1020606.jpg

I just had to watch out for these guys as they were on the hunt for any bits of food and they were nearly attacking people who had any chips. It was very funny to watch them. Also I couldn’t believe the size of them, they were huge.

P1020612.jpg

Screw the 2 amusements parks, if you want air time in Bridlington go out in one of the power boats and make sure it’s on a windy day so the sea is rough. £3 for about 10 mins out around the bay was well worth it for the ride.

P1020622.jpg

Looking back towards the Carousel Park.

P1020636.jpg

peep

CF Legend
Nice PTR Emmett. That seagull does look very menacing. Glad to hear you had another good weekend.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I liked Pleasure Island for some reason. It's just a simple little park with a couple of fun rides. There's not much to it, and most of it seems designed to make you feel sick - but I still had a great day when I went.

Though, I'm not rushing back either :lol:

Sounds like you had a fun time though Emmett.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Great PTR Emmett! I went to Pleasure Island about a month ago and it was pretty much dead aswell meaning no queues for anything. :lol:

They should add another coaster me thinks cause there's too many flat rides at the moment.

Jake

Strata Poster
Did you not try and get the credit on the beach in Cleethorpes? It's literally a 5 minute drive from Pleasure Island!

http://rcdb.com/ig3314.htm?picture=4

That waterslide had pieces missing when I went last year... wonder how long it's been like that for now...

Oh, and gutted about the Crazy Mouse! That thing was mental. I need to head back up to Bridlington soon, seeing as that mine train kiddie coaster wasn't there back when I went (although there was another similar credit, so it's good that they swapped it for a new one!).

Damn Pleasure Island for not letting anyone on the Go-Gator, party poopers.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^Whores. :p

Pleasure Island's not a bad little park for a few hours. I forgot how crazy they run their flats, some girl was really sick on the Frisbee when I was there last time.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Cheers guys, its a good park but it would be nice if they got another coaster even if they got a second hand model just to give the people who can't stomach the flats a bit more of a choice.

I didn't even ask to ride the Go-Gator as there was nobody riding it. If I would have spotted any adults riding with kids I would have given it a go.

Jake said:
Oh, and gutted about the Crazy Mouse! That thing was mental. I need to head back up to Bridlington soon, seeing as that mine train kiddie coaster wasn't there back when I went (although there was another similar credit, so it's good that they swapped it for a new one!).

Damn Pleasure Island for not letting anyone on the Go-Gator, party poopers.

Yeah I remember your report from there and I was well pissed off when I turned up and it was removed. I'd love to know where it went, even RCDB had it listed as still there. Make sure you try the power boat as its brilliant.

Nic

Strata Poster
^ even Jake couldn't argue that as a credit, so I can't see him going on it any time soon ;)

Pierre

Strata Poster
Nice PTR.

Flamingo Land Ltd. need a good balance between the two parks, Flamingo is focused on the Coasters and the flats are diabolical. Pleasure Island seem to have the awesome flats Flamingo Land is missing and Pleasure Island seem to have a lack of decent rollercoasters.

That mouse did look insane in Brid when I went past it but I wasn't bothered about riding it that day... ooops.

Nice PTR, that seagull gave me nightmares of Friday when I got viciously attacked by one with the product of its arsehole.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Shame about the Wild/Crazy Mouse coaster at Bridlington, its looked weirdly good for such a small size, and its not such a common coaster. Would have been a pretty neat credit to have :D

For me, Pleasure Island has too mant rides to make your stomach explode, even the Boomerange there gets me stomach moving, but then thats probably becuase of how it was feeling before had.

Hydromax is the most insane Booster ever, the speed it goes is immense and makes it stand out above all other Boosters IMO. Hyper Blaster too is a brilliant little ride. The violent ejector air was too much for my partner! :lol:

Nice report anyway, I cant say I really like Pleasure Island that much, but then everytime I have visited, its rained, and I always feel sick when I leave! I think the park is lacking some basic rides which really could fill the day out and keep people happy, like the basic Wild River log flumes(pictured above at Bridlington), and a Wild Mouse coaster. They're basic rides that no one on here is going to shout about, but they would make the park better IMO, give you more to do, and keep you there for longer.