What's new

Playland's Castaway Cove | GaleForce | S&S Triple Launched

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Re: Playland's Castaway Cove | GaleForce | S&S Triple Launch

I really struggled to get a scale for this ride until i saw this picture. Its **** huge! It looks pretty ugly but i think this is going to be a seriously intense ride. Cant wait to see it testing, hopefully you can grab some footage when it starts ECG.

galeforce29.jpg

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

I will definitely film it testing. The park owner agrees with you and is wondering if it might be too intense of a ride for the GP to handle. You really need to see the transitions in person. They look insane!
Add to that a 50+ foot airtime coaster wrapping around it twice and it all will be quite the sight, especially with the close calls with the Tropical Storm and Extreme Cyclone rides.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Here's the video I filmed over the two days. You can skip forward to 15 minutes into the video to see the topping off if you're not interested in seeing the rest (including a 5+ minute scene of the crew working on fitting the two final track pieces together before hoisting them to the top).

Hutch

Strata Poster

Yeah I am starting to get a sense of how big it is. It looks like there's a few interesting kinks and transitions leading up to each turnaround. Should be a fun rerideable ride.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

ECG said:
Add to that a 50+ foot airtime coaster wrapping around it twice and it all will be quite the sight, especially with the close calls with the Tropical Storm and Extreme Cyclone rides.

Do we have any artwork or any further details of this coaster? RCDB has it listed as an E&F Miler coaster, i thought these only made kiddie creds?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Chris Brown said:
Do we have any artwork or any further details of this coaster? RCDB has it listed as an E&F Miler coaster, i thought these only made kiddie creds?

This has been on Playland's FB page. The contest is over and the ride will be called Wild Waves

12657987_1076342705730154_3823051604933299178_o.jpg

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Playland's Castaway Cove | GaleForce | S&S Launched El L

ECG said:
They're also starting to get ready for Wild Waves, the E&F Miller Industries family coaster that will circle GaleForce. The coaster will have two lift hills, stand 52 feet tall and feature a series of airtime hills (thus the name Wild Waves).
Already mentioned the name, but forgot to post the layout as well. :oops:
GaleForce will open as soon as it's ready, which will likely be before Wild Waves and Whirlwind, the SBF Visa spinning kiddie coaster, will open first (probably in a matter of weeks). The parts for Whirlwind are in a nearby parking lot (sorry, but I didn't take photos) and the first shipment for Wild Waves left Portland, Oregon last week and should be on site in the next day or two.

wildwavestrack1.jpg

wildwavestrack2.jpg

wildwavestrack3.jpg

wildwavestrack4.jpg

wildwavestrack5.jpg

Here's the Wild Waves diagram I forgot to post in my last construction update:

wildwaveslayout.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

It might just be the colours, but that layout diagram is confusing. :lol:

Are there sections of track with dead ends? Are there missing sections?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

There are definitely no dead ends. :p
I'm not sure what program was used, but I think that sections of track didn't convert over from the original blueprints that Scott showed me.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Yeah, it definitely hasn't rendered correctly!

It looks pretty cool though, it'll be interesting to see how much airtime there is.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Well this looks dreadful. I reckon i could make a more inspiring layout with spaghetti and marshmallows.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

^It's a family coaster and I don't think it looks that bad. It's like a bigger version of the Miler wild mouse coasters with a different layout and some airtime hills. The layout was also restricted due to the space available and I'm surprised they were able to come up with this tbh. It could have just been something much smaller that would have gone through the circuit twice, like most of the company's kiddie coasters.
Chris Brown said:
RCDB has it listed as an E&F Miler coaster, i thought these only made kiddie creds?
No, they have a few other family coasters as well. Although this is one of their largest, there are a couple of taller/longer ones. The biggest is Screamer at Scandia Amusement Park in Ontario, California (90 ft) followed by Viking Voyage at Wild Adventures in Valdosta, Georgia (52 ft). Scream'n Eagle at Fun Junction USA in Fayetteville, Georgia (38 ft) isn't really a kiddie coaster either. I've ridden them all and they have some nice pops of airtime, but I'm expecting this one to have even more.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

I've heard the miler mouse rides in Amarillo and Denver are pretty good as well.

Lofty

CF Legend

Chris Brown said:
Well this looks dreadful. I reckon i could make a more inspiring layout with spaghetti and marshmallows.
Agreed. It's very much 'Erm. Out a hill in there and there, then turn 90° then hill and repeat'.

But it's great that they're adding a 'middle coaster' to their kiddie and thrill lineup. Nice choice.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

Ben

CF Legend

I didn't even realise they were still making rides, the one at Scandia is awful.

That's a really boring layout and space is no excuse - look at what Gerst can do with limited space - something a bit more interesting than a layout from the 70s.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

This is Castaway Cove we're talking about here folks. They don't have the funds to put in a S&S, Gertslauer and SBF Visa Group Coaster. They have to go with what makes sense on a limited budget, so they put the big bucks into a thrill coaster with what was left for the other two. I think that's a lot better than putting everything into a more expensive family coaster and the kiddie cred. Just compare what they're doing to what most other seaside parks of this size have to offer.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah that's fine, but Jerry, call a spade a spade and don't try and tell us this is more than it is.

Like Chris is entitled to call this out for being uninspired, because it is. Sure there's reasons for that but, it still is?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Drove past this thing today.

It spited me sadly but HOLY CRAP it looks awesome! Like, you drive over that bridge in Ocean City and off in the distance you see this...thing that looks nothing like any coaster anywhere should look.

Haven't heard much of this lately except Castaway Cove writing me back saying it wouldn't be open by this week on Facebook.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

I wonder what the hold up is.... I should be in the area in about a month. Would be rather annoying if it's not ready yet.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Work on the stations is nearing completion and testing is scheduled to begin soon. Hopefully it will clear the top and then it won't be long. Otherwise...