Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I hate them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whats Pink Floyd?

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Dave

CF Legend
Pink Floyd is a band that's like furie, it's got universal approval in my family. My dad went to the Pulse tour in 1994 and has seen David Gilmour as well on tour, not sure which one.

I don't remember when I started listening to Pink Floyd, think it was around the time of end of secondary school or first year of college, around then, just identified with The Wall and it went from there. It's matured since then across most the albums, the early stuff with Syd Barrett is hit and miss with me, some are good and some are just odd (i.e. See Emily Play, Bike, Jugband Blues etc.).
It's similar with the post-Waters era, it's not all great, but some stand out tunes in there, like High Hopes, Sorrow and Learning To Fly. Just great songs with a lot of atmosphere and depth.

I have a lot of time for Meddle, Animals, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, could easily sit down and listen to those albums without a problem. Animals in particular, just makes me want to sing along! Gets my dad singing as well!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
There was a period of time, while my mom was still pregnant with me, where I was nearly named "Floyd" at my dad's insistence. My mom shot that one down. :roll:

So I've been listening to my dad's favorite band since I was pretty little. I think Dark Side of The Moon was the first CD I can remember just sitting and listening to. "On The Run" used to actually freak 4-year-old me out just a little bit. :p

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
^ I think I did that about 8 times this summer, that has to be one of the greatest albums ever made.

100% yes, it's my favourite album of all time, next challenge found "we came in" and isn't this where" yet?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I quite like Pink Floyd but I feel like I should like them more. I've only listened to Dark Sie of the Moon (which I really can appriciate but I don't like listening to it that much because it makes me so depressed) and The Wall which I prefer because it sounds a bit lighter/happier compared to DSOTM. Hopefully DSOTM will grow on me.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Pink Panther said:
I quite like Pink Floyd but I feel like I should like them more. I've only listened to Dark Sie of the Moon (which I really can appriciate but I don't like listening to it that much because it makes me so depressed) and The Wall which I prefer because it sounds a bit lighter/happier compared to DSOTM. Hopefully DSOTM will grow on me.

Awesome :--D give Wish You Were Here a listen you would probably like it, interesting about saying The Wall sounds happier than The Dark Side Of The Moon but ok :--D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I actually think he may have a point. The Wall is very lyrically obviously depressing, but the music is quite often more upbeat. DSOTM is a little more of a dirge and the way it's vocalised is more off-key and depressing. The final three tracks are much more subtly depressing than The Wall.

Dave said:
Pink Floyd is a band that's like furie, it's got universal approval in my family.

Not that I'm complaining, but why do I have universal approval in your family? ;)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I think The Wall does have some music that is more upbeat than than The Darkside Of The Moon. Like Young Lust, Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 and Hey You. But I still find the Darkside Of The Moon happier. Love them both, The Wall is my Favourite album.

jayjay

Giga Poster
On the subject of Dark Side lyrics and depressing themes, I found it slightly amusing that the music the London opening ceremony organisers went with for the post-flame-lighting fireworks was Eclipse - a song whose lyrics basically say "everything you do in life is pointless."

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
jayjay said:
On the subject of Dark Side lyrics and depressing themes, I found it slightly amusing that the music the London opening ceremony organisers went with for the post-flame-lighting fireworks was Eclipse - a song whose lyrics basically say "everything you do in life is pointless."
Yes! XD :--D

Lain

Giga Poster
tumblr_lg9sm7t2Ga1qz6f9yo1_r1_500.jpg