What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Can this go to the roller coaster construction thread now?

Also, it's hard to tell the colour of the track from the photo. Does anyone know what the colour the track is? :)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Can this go to the roller coaster construction thread now?

Also, it's hard to tell the colour of the track from the photo. Does anyone know what the colour the track is? :)
The supports are definitely black. However the track isn't. Hard to tell from the photo but it appears to be a brown/redish colour?
Looks a similar colour to that of the track on the right in this photo of the prototype test set up.
maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.22d33040b40ce6cadad5321015fec4b8.jpg

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Looks a bit tight for an actual inversion. I don't think they will build the actual layout with such short pieces. I hope the loading will actually be sideways like the prototype suggested, and this piece could turn it to the riding position.

Ethan

Strata Poster
As much as I'm not a fan of flyers, I'm so excited for this. Most exciting new attraction for me for sure. I just hope there's a fab dark ride section <3

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I'm not sure if this new Vekoma flyer will come good, but I have to admire and praise Phantasialand for actually taking the risk! Following this construction will really be fascinating :)

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I'm not sure if this new Vekoma flyer will come good, but I have to admire and praise Phantasialand for actually taking the risk! Following this construction will really be fascinating :)
The Lech coaster made me believe in Vekoma being able to build amazing stuff. Of course, we can't say much yet, but I would be surprised if it is not awesome in the end!

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Any reason you think it won't come good? Just curious whether you think that because 'it's a Vekoma' or some other reason?

Based on the park's recent developments, and some of the stuff Vekoma have been behind lately, I see no reason for there to be any real doubt that the two can't come together and produce something very decent!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
@JoshC. @Ireeb I just returned from a Energylandia + Legendia trip so I'm well aware of Vekoma's recent (and tremendous) improvement! Just check the Top 10 in my signature for proof ;)

I'm not worried about headbanging or jolts, as I felt none on either F1 or Lech. Lech Coaster is a little rattly at times, but honestly that's not really affecting the awesome on-ride experience. I really want F.L.Y. to succeed so Vekoma gets into the spotlight with a remarkable achievement in a top park. Some of my doubts lie in the whole prototype side of this project. Sure there must have been extensive testing at the Vlodrop factory, but first launched and longest flyer is a very ambitious task. Given the huge attendance and intense operations at Phantasialand, the new technology will be put under much pressure, leading in the worst case to the ride breaking down numerous times.

However, I think the odds are now in Vekoma's favour given their recent track record. I simply think this is their biggest test so far. Perhaps my wording in the first message was a bit too pessimistic ;)

Last edited:

Ireeb

Mega Poster
@JoshC. @Ireeb I just returned from a Energylandia + Legendia trip so I'm well aware of Vekoma's recent (and tremendous) improvement! Just check the Top 10 in my signature for proof ;)

I'm not worried about headbanging or jolts, as I felt none on either F1 or Lech. Lech Coaster is a little rattly at times, but honestly that's not really affecting the awesome on-ride experience. I really want F.L.Y. to succeed so Vekoma gets into the spotlight with a remarkable achievement in a top park. Some of my doubts lie in the whole prototype side of this project. Sure there must have been extensive testing at the Vlodrop factory, but first launched and longest flyer is a very ambitious task. Given the huge attendance and intense operations at Phantasialand, the new technology will be put under much pressure, leading in the worst case to the ride breaking down numerous times.

However, I think the odds are now in Vekoma's favour given their recent track record. I simply think this is their biggest test so far. Perhaps my wording in the first message was a bit too pessimistic ;)
I saw your onride videos of lech, that's why I was surprised about your rather pessimistic post, since everyone seems to like Lech coaster and the new generation of Vekoma rides. It is indeed an experiment, but I think Vekoma has grown so much in terms of quality lately, that I think they can do it and make F.L.Y. amazing.

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
Given the huge attendance and intense operations at Phantasialand, the new technology will be put under much pressure, leading in the worst case to the ride breaking down numerous times.

At this point I feel like Phantasialand don't care about this side of things*, just look at how frequently Taron and Chiapas break down.

*That sounds bad, what I mean is they love to experiment and would rather put up with down-time and have something unique than something you can find anywhere else.

balrog

Mega Poster
Some of my doubts lie in the whole prototype side of this project. Sure there must have been extensive testing at the Vlodrop factory, but first launched and longest flyer is a very ambitious task. Given the huge attendance and intense operations at Phantasialand, the new technology will be put under much pressure, leading in the worst case to the ride breaking down numerous times.

Yeah, that is why it is so important that it is Vekoma. The park probably wanted to do something that B&M wouldn't even want to think about, and any other manufacturer would probably have ended up building a catastrophy (except mack, maybe, if they were up to the task - I guess we will never know). Plus, I'm not sure I would trust B&M on such a compact ride. It looks like they are better at space consuming rides (per track length) with large drawn out elements.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm. Still sounds like a normal Flying Dutchman to me. With the GaU being upright and evacuation possible using stairs on both sides.

I believe the track would actually be twisted sideways all the way up the lift. Then the seats would be twisted sideways relative to the track, so you'd sit down in the cars like in a sofa, with your back to the track.
4302ce33742b98dd877906e79ae8ff15.jpg

(source, I think)

Then at the top of the lift...

Track with a 90° twist. Coming in or out of the station? Or an inversion?
8ac02f49c8c6ad64eb21e8bbcbf451d3.jpg

...the track and cars both twist, turning riders from a sitting position going sideways, to a flying position going headways. This thread had all sorts of pictures, drawings and explanations, but it appears to have suffered badly from link rot, so most of the pictures are gone.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^ Yes I know how F.L.Y. will work. I've even seen the prototype test set up in person. I was referring to the write up about Flying Dutchman's on Vekoma's which someone suggested had something to do with Phantasialand.
Also the coaster mightn't even have a lift hill like the prototype's considering it is launched.

Although if F.L.Y. is the longest flying coaster by track length will one launch be enough to propel it around or will have a lift as well do we think?

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Construction updates.
The new large support erected yesterday received a friend. They are next to each other in a line so this could possibly an inversion - a roll of some kind?
These supports are tall enough to be spotted from the top deck of the carousel at the Berlin entrance.
915fcc1bf7c60ad52906f5103c2c49e9.jpg

Behind them but not visible in the photo is a slightly lower support for an inverted piece of track (for the normal flying position).
I saw today more track being lowered into position by the cranes.
20616826_1535619259837520_8224246921169768308_o.jpg

From the main street outside the park I managed to get a few glimpses as staff went through gates. A number of supports were lying there waiting to be installed.
Coming out of the concrete walls (tunnel or a building) underneath/inbetween the supports was a bit of installed track which slightly banked to the left and curved updwards.
There were also some strange structures? 4 thick tubular beams attached to each to make a rectangular shape. There are at least 3 or 4 laying there. They are the same colour as the track but it doesn't look like track to me? The propotype lifthill track/structure looked slightly similar but these things doesn't seem to have rails. Any ideas anyone?
20545403_1535619503170829_3675013554708155722_o.jpg

Perhaps we'll know more when they are put into position.