Change background image

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster

Discussion in 'Roller Coaster Construction' started by roomraider, Aug 31, 2016.

1. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    To be fair, I think they could go for a much more thematic name that F.L.Y. It's like calling Taron S.P.E.E.D, it's :emoji_poop:.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. Phantasiastisch

Phantasiastisch New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I share your opinion because when you say it: Rookburgh, Charles Lindbergh and then F.L.Y. : just does not fit. So I hope this case is closed and they come up with a suitable name.

3. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I can't help but think that F.L.Y is genuinely an abbreviation of the actual name of the ride as opposed to it being a design feature of the word fly.

Yoris Kerkhoff likes this.
  4. CSLKennyNI

CSLKennyNI Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    I'm by no means a big fan of the name, haven't been since the very beginning; however it is nothing like 'calling Taron speed'. That wouldn't thematically work with the Germanic/Norse hybrid theme of Klugheim.
    However clearly the impression so far is that Rookburgh's theme is very much about aviation/flying - as evident with all the concept art, teasers, marketing about the 'unique sensation of flight' and references to the "Air Rail Company" (presumably connected to the ride's backstory) and the hotel being named after famous aviator Charles Lindbergh who started a great surge in public + business interest in aviation during the 1920s.
    So using the word F.L.Y. does thematically fit I don't think that can be denied, regardless of whether people like the sound of it or not.
    And to be fair it gets the main unique selling point of the coaster across too.

5. JoshC.

JoshC. Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I've always felt that F.L.Y. was a weird name, especially since the park had moved away from English names for things since Black Mamba in 2006. Since then, all their names have always seemed to be non-English words which make thematic sense for the individual rides and areas.

In my opinion, Fliegen (German for fly) sounds better than Fly, so it is a very odd choice. Like Lofty says, it must surely be an abbreviation for something, presumably German.

I've always lived in hope that F.L.Y. was simply a project / advertising name to get the point across that it's a flying coaster, and there would be a name announcement in the future. Obviously with the fight to keep the name that doesn't appear to be the plan...though I guess it's possible that may just happen!

6. Gazza

Gazza Member

What does it stand for?
    Flying Launched Yoaster?

7. Phantasiastisch

Phantasiastisch New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Yeah, it certainly is an abrevation, I assumed a German abbreviation but I hope they come up with a better name and not an English one.

I also hoped that with the new entrance coming for River Quest, they would have changed that name too. Now he's becoming a part of Klugheim and the name doesn't fit for me anymore. I mean: Klugheim, Taron, Raik...and River Quest.

Maybe It's just a name but for a park which is that much into theming, cohesion and logic, it can get done better IMHO. :D

Yoris Kerkhoff and Lofty like this.
  8. Ireeb

Ireeb New Member

Best Coaster:
    Blue Fire
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    Since there are basically no German words starting with y (y isn't really used in German anyway, it mainly appears in words coming from other languages), I doubt it will be a German abbreviation. Either F.L.Y. means something in English, or the actual name has nothing to so with F.L.Y. at all and it's really just a project name.
    I also don't think "Fliegen" (to fly) would be a good word by itself, because it means "flies" as well, both the action and the insects. Who would enter an attraction that promises annoying insects. Flies, the attraction. And for the real thrillseekers: BEES.

9. ImagineerTim

ImagineerTim Gamesmaster 2016

Best Coaster:
    Blue Fire/Taron/VHF
    Best Park:
    Efteling
    its good when they take their time then it will be better

10. Be_coaster

Be_coaster New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Pay once, visite twice is going to be repeated with the start of the new season. Is this a sign that there'll be no opening of Rookburgh in 2019?

11. CSLKennyNI

CSLKennyNI Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    They've been running this offer every year now for a long time. Nothing out of the ordinary; has no bearing on Rookburgh.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Be_coaster, Yoris Kerkhoff and mrrc like this.
  12. Leon Schulz

Leon Schulz New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Why do you can't use the free entry in July and August? Could be there the opening of Rookburgh and they do not want an overcrowded Park?

13. CSLKennyNI

CSLKennyNI Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Because those are the busier summer months, they are encouraging revisits outside of the high season. July and August have always been excluded from the offer.
    As I said it has nothing to do with Rookburgh.

Ireeb, Yoris Kerkhoff, UP87 and 3 others like this.
  14. UP87

UP87 New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Yoris Kerkhoff likes this.
  15. CSLKennyNI

CSLKennyNI Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    [​IMG]
    Interesting, rather steampunk mixed with a dragon I feel. Look forward to seeing a higher quality version.

16. Robert.W

Robert.W New Member

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Not gonna lie, it kinda looks like a logo you’d find on the front of a car :p I do quite like it though.

17. VikingsAf

VikingsAf New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    It's beautiful. Was I the only one believing they would continue with the FLY trademark (certainly when they kept using it in the Hotel announcement)
    And realy, the name is not that bad as everyone here tries to make it look. (its maybe better now without the silly dots)
    Also I'm still a believer for a 2019 opening (mid august the latest)

UP87 likes this.
  18. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I really like it? It's stylish and modern yet has hints back to steampunk origins. Could work really well.

Yoris Kerkhoff and CSLKennyNI like this.
  19. Hixee

Hixee Flojector Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    It still has the silly dots, though?

Steel & Story and Lofty like this.
  20. VikingsAf

VikingsAf New Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Okay had a low res render when I first clicked the link, so didnt see them on the logo. I was just looking at the name for the trademark (which hasn't got the dots anymore)