What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Yeah I'm betting on Vekoma's new design being the most likely candidate here.

So Flying Dinosaur is currently the longest flying coaster out there at 3,687, this thing is gunna be like Taron to get that kind of length in..

Ireeb

Mega Poster
This is what surprised me too. Flying dinosaur is huge and although the construction footprint is big for Phantasialand it's still a very small space. I reckon we'll be seeing this new Vekoma prototype and it'll be shoved in a box (has to for that location anyway).

So excited and intrigued.
Yeah I'm betting on Vekoma's new design being the most likely candidate here.

So Flying Dinosaur is currently the longest flying coaster out there at 3,687, this thing is gunna be like Taron to get that kind of length in..

Vekoma's Prototype looked more like a slow ride, not like an actual coaster, that's why I don't think it will be that one. I am expecting one of the existing types (flying dutchman or B&M Flying Coaster), just launched. There's no reason to re-invent the wheel.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Vekoma's Prototype looked more like a slow ride, not like an actual coaster, that's why I don't think it will be that one. I am expecting one of the existing types (flying dutchman or B&M Flying Coaster), just launched. There's no reason to re-invent the wheel.

Yeah, but don't forget that it's a prototype, one that is built to test out the movement of the cars, rather than being a track that tests the actual ride experience. It could easily utilise that technology to become a true flying coaster. And who is to say that this isn't both part dark ride and part coaster? That'd be a way to get the length.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
If it's Vekoma I'll put my excitement on hold for now. I'm just not sure what to expect and while I genuinely trust Phantasialand, I just can't lose my **** about it yet. I like some Vekoma family coasters, but is there any big thrill coaster that is actually fantastic yet? In case of a B&M, I'll be extremely hyped. I've been wanting Phantasialand to build a B&M flying coaster for years now. After riding Air, which was fab, the thought of Phantasia's take on the type is amazing.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
This did cross my mind as well but launched flyer doesn't exactly combine well with family dark ride does it?
I didn't say 'family' though. This could easily be something along a Forbidden Journey/Spiderman type dark ride, with the track in a sideways position for the dark ride section, then turning into the flying position for the launch.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
giphy.gif

Words fail me

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
So B&M or Vekoma? B&M is no fan of launches, they still brought us Thunderbird though. I am just hoping it is a B&M.

Zamperla does Flying Coasters too, remember! ;)

Colour me intrigued for this, but not totally blown yet. It is possible that a compact "spaghetti bowl" flying coaster could be good, but so far the most successful ones seem to be the large, swooping ones like Tatsu or Manta. One of those in Phantasialand - heck, in Europe - would be awesome, but as it's not currently confirmed what type it will be, I'll remain a little reserved. Rather that than setting myself up for disappointment later, and if it turns out to be really good anyway, it'd be better than expected.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Zamperla does Flying Coasters too, remember! ;)

Colour me intrigued for this, but not totally blown yet. It is possible that a compact "spaghetti bowl" flying coaster could be good, but so far the most successful ones seem to be the large, swooping ones like Tatsu or Manta. One of those in Phantasialand - heck, in Europe - would be awesome, but as it's not currently confirmed what type it will be, I'll remain a little reserved. Rather that than setting myself up for disappointment later, and if it turns out to be really good anyway, it'd be better than expected.
After Taron and Klugheim I think Phantasialand has proven that they know what they are doing. They have high expectations themselves, so I think we can have them, too.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
After Taron and Klugheim I think Phantasialand has proven that they know what they are doing. They have high expectations themselves, so I think we can have them, too.

Oh, I have no doubt they are competent, but I wouldn't trust them to be infailible (or at least not to adhere to my personal preference every time). Personally, I'll wait for a render, but I'm not saying it's wrong to be hyped up. I'm excited too, but for more news rather than the final product - for the time being.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Let's be picky here. "Longest" might not necessarily mean track length, might be duration, which buys into the dark ride/preshow theory. Oooo, we might be treated to another #whatsintheshed thing...

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
An English version of the trailer has been released.
Clearer picture of the concept art from the teaser.
IMG-20170620-WA0004.thumb.jpg.3f6f55b6ab3dba307194d92174677acb.jpg

Given the rumours from Looopings months ago and the fact they are working on a new prototype at their test facility I think will be Vekoma.
Also while I know concept art is almost ... never accurate (although Phantasia's usually is) the artwork shows vest restraints very similar to the Lech Coaster's.
19225819_1488874804511966_8584595659425587481_n.jpg

Work has been on going on the Rookburgh area construction site. Apparently the hole they've dug is 8-10 meters deep. Also some foundations have been poured but since it is almost impossible to see into the site no one really knows how much has been built up already.
Also as with Klugheim fans are expecting more than one attraction in the area. FreizeitparkNewsNRW today claimed there will be 3 attractions but have been unable to back this up with evidence. I would expect like with Klugheim there will be some family/kiddie ride since the main attraction will probably have a high height restriction.

I'm interested to see how the finished area looks. The concept art showed a street with buildings on either side - if does end up resembling it the coaster could be enclosed in a building and underneath the area (similar to how Geister Rikscha is underneath the China area). Of course sound walls like Klugheims could used be used to it was outside, or perhaps parts of it will be outside.

Opening Date
As with Taron the park aren't revealing an opening date far in advance. Some on Germans forums in recent weeks have been arguing whether it'll be 2018 or 2019. Considering they are starting to hype up the new area and ride I doubt its for 2019. Work is advancing rapidly, especially if rumours that supports have arrived/will soon arrive on site are true, so I can't see it not being summer 2018 (unless there is some sort of delay).

Also with the park seemingly getting another enclosed coaster is this a replacement for Temple of the Nighthawk? Could this mean that the rumours TotNH's removal at the end of this season are true?
Speculation is still on going that the park's dinner show Fantassima (currently hosted in the Temple complex) will move into a new theater in Rookbourgh.

Last edited:

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
This is awesome news.
Personally I think we'll see something along the lines of a dark ride coaster and I honestly think that Vekoma are more able to meet whatever crazy demands Phantasialand would have for that, than B&M. The prototype being tested at the Vekoma factory seems likely as well. Can't wait to see what they do with the whole area! Will follow this one very closely <3