What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Was looking at the European Union Intellectual Property Office's records for Phantasialand - the various names that the park have trademarked/copyrighted such as Rookburgh, Taron, Raik, Hotel Ling Bao, etc. Oddly enough no trademark for F.L.Y. has ever appeared?
http://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/owners/144666

The legal representative listed for most of the names is a firm called 'Klocke und Linkens' so I clicked on their profile and found out that they actually did apply to trademark the name "F.L.Y." in June 2017 (when the coaster was first announced).
Screenshot_20180827-194306_Samsung_Internet.jpg

Oddly enough Phantasialand isn't on the application however given the name format, the date and classifications (same as Taron & Raik's plus a few more merch options) it was definitely for the flying coaster.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/016873135

However the application was rejected after opposition from two different companies under the grounds of 'likelihood of confusion'.

I wonder if the park would keep the name even if they can't get it trademarked?
Or could they maybe change it?
The correspondence section of the webpage lists activity as recent as 14th August 2018. Which would suggest the park are perhaps trying to resolve the situation with those who opposed it.

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
To be honest I didn't realise the name would be F.L.Y anyway, I thought it was just the codename! Shows how much I know then...

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Very odd. If F.L.Y. is an abbreviation for something, they could have just trademarked the written-out name. If it's not, then it's an ultra-lame name anyway so nothing is really lost.

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
Hey everyone,

I heard something and I have no idea if someone has ever mentioned this.
Ofcourse we are going to compare this coaster with a B&M flyer but there is ofcourse a big difference:
The mechanism of the trains. But not only that, the position is also a little bit different aswell.
For the people who have ridden an b&m flyer, they now that a ride on it is quite stressfull for your neck, because you do want to look foward when flying.
The seats of the Vekoma flyer train are a little bit on an angle. So that you dont have to bend that much to take a look foward.
So when I heard this, I compared a B&M flying train with the few photo's we have from the Vekoma flyer. So I made a drawing: I hope this explains it a little bit.
IMG_20180829_194842.jpg

Robert.W

Roller Poster
To be honest, I've never really found the flat riding position on B&M flying coasters to be particularly uncomfortable, but it is pretty easy to see that the tilted riding position on Vekoma's new flying model does look a lot more comfortable. The tilted position should hopefully allow much more accessible views of the wonderful theming surrounding the ride!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A very sound point, @Brian, but one thing that did occur to me and something I have no idea about.

You could have a 110° seat angle in the seated position that rotates in to a truly horizontal flying position with an eccentric/angled pivot. Have we seen any close-ups of the trains with enough detail to rule that out?

Wondering if @mrrc might be able to help?

I've personally never had any problems with neck pain on B&M flyers, but that might be a different story on this if the show element requires a lot of 'looking around'.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I've personally never had any problems with neck pain on B&M flyers, but that might be a different story on this if the show element requires a lot of 'looking around'.

Aren't the cars in the sideways position during the show scenes, as far as we know?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Aren't the cars in the sideways position during the show scenes, as far as we know?
As far as we know, I think so...?

I'll admit, I'm a little behind on the detail of this project, so was leaving room a flying show scene too. Happy to stand corrected!

Ethan

Strata Poster

I'll admit, I'm a little behind on the detail of this project, so was leaving room a flying show scene too. Happy to stand corrected!
To be honest, I don't think anybody can really follow this project at the moment! I check up on this coaster every day and I still can't grasp the layout.

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster

I have no idea what the exact angle is ofcourse, I just wrote something down. But as far I could see in the sitting position, it is tilted a bit more than a B&M.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I have no idea what the exact angle is ofcourse, I just wrote something down. But as far I could see in the sitting position, it is tilted a bit more than a B&M.
Yeah, I wasn't really picking up on the specific angle, so much as saying that an angled seat back in the seating position doesn't necessarily mean an angled seat back in the flying position.

It's a good observation you've made, and if true will be interesting to see how they compare to the B&Ms and older Vekomas (I believe they're horizontal too, from memory).

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
Yes they are indeed. Also fully 90°.
I have heard this from someone who is close to this project. The rotationpart looks like to be parallel to the track, so that means it keeps the same angle.
The only flyer I have ridden is air, and I can see this idea going to work. Air is the slowest flyer of them all, but if you want to look foward you need to look up which is a little bit stressfull for your neck. So I think this could be more comfortable.

MrRC

Mega Poster
A very sound point, @Brian, but one thing that did occur to me and something I have no idea about.

You could have a 110° seat angle in the seated position that rotates in to a truly horizontal flying position with an eccentric/angled pivot. Have we seen any close-ups of the trains with enough detail to rule that out?

Wondering if @mrrc might be able to help?

Yes, i can try to help. Maybe this picture will do ( plz note link in signature is NOT anymore for FLY, but for GOTG)

26022927888_c247f60b5a_b.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster
Looks a lot closer to upright than those drawings do imo. Maybe it won't be a ball-crusher after all?