What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Pear

Strata Poster
I don't see how Rookburgh will have a lot of rockwork due to the Steampunk theme but maybe they'll be doing more work in the Black Mamba/Mexico area?

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I would love to see that they will refurbish the Mexico area at the station and queueline from Colorado Adventure. That's more important than the Deep in Africa area (in my opinion).

Pear

Strata Poster
Yeah Colorado desperately needs it's queueline redone. It was a pain to find, though I heard that when they rebuild the dark ride in the China section they will tackle that section of Colorado as well.

The Mexico area by Chiapas is perfectly fine as it is right now though.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I don't see how Rookburgh will have a lot of rockwork due to the Steampunk theme but maybe they'll be doing more work in the Black Mamba/Mexico area?
I also don't think Rookburgh will feature rockwork (which should hopefully be a refreshing change in style after some rockwork heavy areas recently) but Universal Rocks could be/most likely are doing the brickwork facades of steampunk buildings etc.
They worked on Voletarium at Europa Park which would be a little similar in style.

Would love it if Colorado Adventure had some work done for next year. It is allegedly due a large thematic overhaul some time soon (similar to what River Quest has received over the past couple years). Other than Tikal, and some other small touches around it and Chiapas, they haven't really integrated it into the Mexico area yet.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I think we can be sure that China Town and Mexico (the Colorado part) will get a renovation within this and approximately 4 years. This should actually be done then because with Rookburgh (and probably another new area then) is the difference in thematic level a pack larger opposite China Town and the Colorado part. I hope they'll do some refurbishments in the Mission Off-Season.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
http://instagr.am/p/Bbw4hFLDFks/
http://instagr.am/p/Bbw4XhDDplc/
Some aerial photos have appeared on Instagram...

The 4th picture in the second post gives a clear view of the site.
On the left you can see where the track , and the structures for buildings and facades are already in place. Below that covered in green sheets are the launch track and other track segments - they are being stored there for the moment.

Along the bottom of the site but not visible in the image is the track which is already installed for the station. On the right bottom corner the track leaves the station heads towards the road and then curves back towards Wuze. Then it goes up the curved bit of track reused from the test set up. This section is now being enclosed. This is either the break run, or possibly a dark ride section at the start of the ride?

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
One user on German forum Freizeitparkcheck.de has pointed out this foundation which apparently is similar to the base of a flying theatre. Could it be a coincidence or is this going to be the second attraction in Rookburgh?
23825950_1639493496116762_4297055854089449210_o.jpg

23847381_1639493849450060_878686217685849323_o.jpg

He suggested Vekoma's Panoramic Flight Simulator (However I imagine most Flying Theatre's have a similar base so it could be any manufacture).
index.php

https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/panoramic-flight-simulator

A Flying Theatre would suit the steampunk/flying theme of the area, and it would be a family attraction with a decent throughput (Vekoma's model has a minimum height requirement of 1m and a throughput of 900phh - which is higher than Raik's). Also when Maus au Chocolat opened the park creative team said in an interview they liked the how the technology meant they could refresh the attraction by changing/updating the film every so often - a Flying Theatre would also give them this freedom.

An argument against it would be that the park tends to go for more unique attractions however, like most PHL projects, they have probably been planning for many years by now and the decision may have been made before they knew Europa Park was building one.
Also I question what would the film be? Flying over real world landmarks doesn't really seem very Phantasialand to me - the park strives for immersion in other worlds.

21151687_10209804590381219_2583191841939540670_n.jpg

This did remind me of the fact back in July the park had 2 helicopters flying/hovering overhead for a whole day seemingly filming the park. And then a couple of months later Chris Theis, executive assistant at the park, posted this picture taken from a helicopter over the park.
Maybe a flying theatre is coming?

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
Personally my bet is on a small flying theatre or dark ride, but I could be wrong of course. Literally so so excited to see this coaster being built, I'm just hoping there's a decent dark ride section, or maybe more than just one.

Lofty

CF Legend
I always said that I can imagine this area having a flying theatre, that being said, the scale of the one in the photo is way too small for a flying theatre. Compare it with the windows on the building at the top etc., it's tiny.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Yeah, I agree with Lofty on that point. That would be one small ass flying theatre if it was actually going to be one, but I can't see it being the case. Obviously with this ride concept we're going to see a lot of interesting/unique elements, so I think it's just a case of it looking similar.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The park reopened on Friday for the winter season, and as previously mentioned Universal Rocks in the short off season of 2 and half weeks renewed some rockwork in the Africa area.
Before: (unfortunately I can't find a similar angle to the after pictures) The rockwork in question is to the right of the Jr Immelmann.
img_0001_29_188.jpg

After:
Phantasialand_Wintertraum_2017-2018_15aa.jpg

5a18492b0c785_WhatsAppImage2017-11-24at11_27_11.thumb.jpeg.a42c72985d3d4e4dc1b10a361d75d39e.jpeg

5a18492e0d287_WhatsAppImage2017-11-24at11_26_09.thumb.jpeg.1fe5a5108a2a33fa86f3ddced5695257.jpeg

Massive improvement. Rockwork along the Mamba extension queueline was also renewed.
This now the third year that the park have been gradually replacing the Africa rockwork, and there still is more to do (in the main offseason in Jan/Feb/Mar, or next year).
After finishing in Africa Universal Rocks have stayed at the park - on Friday they started work on the facades in Rookburgh (in the corner where track, facade walls and buildings have already been erected).
Excited to see the theming for Rookburgh/F.L.Y. start to develop in the coming months.

Also, surprisingly, the bridge at the drop of Chiapas has received a more colourful repaint.
index.php

Phantasialand_Wintertraum_2017-2018_07.jpg

Before:
Chiapas077.JPG

Ethan

Strata Poster
Love the new bridge colours and I love the new rocks on Mamba. Looking forward to the rest of it being refreshed, because right now it's making the old bits look terrible.