Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

MrRC

Mega Poster
I stopped updating now :

2bee37_d4b170c9912547d2a57dc9550a23e4b2~mv2_d_1600_1200_s_2.jpg

https://svhas2004.wixsite.com/vekoma

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Since it's all but confirmed that the test ride at Vekoma's factory is F.L.Y. technology, I (finally) merged the two threads. All discussion about the test ride can continue here.

Pear

Strata Poster
That's a bit disappointing to hear seeing as how I was planning to go back this summer for it.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The exact wording in the article Looopings is referring to is: "The opening of the Rookburgh theme section is at the earliest next year, but possibly only in 2019."
I've read the original article and it just seems like a report on Vekoma and their recent business. As far as I could understand there was no interview section with anyone from Vekoma (I assume they did speak to someone to get the figures about how much their recent business was worth but it wasn't an interview).

In the article the journalist says Vekoma won't reveal any information about F.L.Y. And the line about the opening year, I think, is from the writer and not anyone at Vekoma. At least that's how it reads. The article doesn't make a big deal of it, it simply says it might be next year or 2019 and moves on. If Vekoma had told them that you'd think they would make a bigger deal of it (oh look we got exclusive information). Only the attention seekers at Looopings are going mad with the mention of 2019.
Also their description of how F.L.Y. works, "After the restraints are closed the seat clap into the flying position so guests are already on their belly. Then the train is launched (as opposed to using a lift like other flying coasters)", leaves much to be desired.

As with Klugheim the park aren't announcing an opening date far in advance. Because things can and do go wrong. Delays happen. Given how they started promoting it in the park with the biggest sign of all time back in June I think they are planning for a 2018 open. But maybe they are aiming for the start of season 2019.
And maybe delays will push it back to 2019. They have already suffered delays with the concrete work foundations due to issues with the ground (something to do with the type of ground and water problems I believe)
The ground issues created delays in both the construction of Chiapas and Black Mamba. Both those projects also suffered other delays (Chiapas - Intamin's prototype systems having all sorts of problems) (Black Mamba - B&M incorrectly manufactured of one of the loop supports which had to be entirely redone. Believe that one support caused a month's delay.) Thankfully Mamba only ended up being two months delayed while on the other hand Chiapas....... :eek::eek:

I'm still optimistic for a 2018 opening. I think it is doable providing no other delays befall F.L.Y. and the winter isn't too harsh delaying construction.
But until we see how much progress they make in the next few months it will be impossible to say for sure.

Lofty

CF Legend
Hmm, that's interesting. Part of me is quite happy for it to open in 2019, it means I can just go back then and pop to a few other places next year instead.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Please don't spite me, please don't spite me, please don't spite me. No idea when I'll be there after next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pear

Strata Poster
Klugheim opened on June 30th 2016, but Taron's trackwork was done in November. I highly doubt F.L.Y's trackwork will be done by next month and if they're gonna go all out on theming then they'll be on a tight schedule.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
Klugheim opened on June 30th 2016, but Taron's trackwork was done in November. I highly doubt F.L.Y's trackwork will be done by next month and if they're gonna go all out on theming then they'll be on a tight schedule.

I think that we should not compare the construction of Rookburgh with Klugheim yet. It could be that they already start with theming in November, even if the trackwork isn't done yet.

In addition, Phantasialand announced this project that early which is why I doubt that the opening will be in 2019.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Not relevant to F.L.Y. but I just didn't think was worth making another thread about - there was an interesting delivery to Phantasialand recently.
Earlier this week a member on PhantaFriends.de spotted this sitting outside one of the backstage yards.
IMG_20171003_111308.jpg.d0a30cc20e745adc0ee73af012c941b9.jpg

If you visited Phantasialand pre 2010 you might recognise it. This is a boat from the old Walzertraum boat ride that operated from 1993 to 2009 in the Berlin area of the park. It was replaced by Maus au Chocolat and Kaiserplatz.
post-267-0-51833300-1418387486_thumb.jpg

This boat was sold to an Imbiss (an eatery) in the town Einruhr, fitted with table in the middle and used for outdoor seating.
It would seem the park have recently reacquired it for some reason.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Well they've been working on the station for ages now (and as far as we know the ground issues have been sorted) so it wouldn't surprise me if they are starting to bring the station track to the park now. I'm back in Phantasialand on Thursday, shall have to go snooping around see if there is anything new to be spotted.

Wondering when we'll see some official update videos and blog posts from the park themselves - we know they've been filming stuff and they said back in April, when Rookburgh was announced, updates would be coming at some point.