What's new

Paulton's | Curse of Skull Rock | 4D Cinema

Nic

Strata Poster
They've posted a construction photo on Facebook, so that's enough to warrant a topic here, right?!

527321_10151085918196603_2120118087_n.jpg

They've also posted this promotional image on their facebook:
403684_10151075102681603_1297975845_n.jpg

The characters shown are from 'The Curse of Skull Rock'. It's a popular film which has been shown in 4D cinemas at parks across the world.

Here's a trailer for the film:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNIPVR8EDIo[/youtube]

marc

CF Legend
The problem with any film is they have a very short life.

I do think it fits the parks target though so it's a good move, they may need to update it every few years though.

Nic

Strata Poster
The amount of parks that use this film, I'm guessing it's at the cheaper end of the budget. That might mean they're able to afford to change it fairly regularly. As I've previously said, I really enjoyed this when I saw it at Drievliet. It was probably my favourite 4D experience. The good news is that the seats look very similar to those ones, so I'm hopeful that it'll be just as good. Having another indoor (and therefore "rainy day friendly") attraction is also a great move for the park.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, these are somewhat cheaper to create than other ones, especially a custom made animation. Saying this, they're actually more expensive than you imagine, especially the hardware for the movie, it's rather costly.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Makes me sad because the last few things Paultons have installed haven't been that bad! Urgh, 4D theatres are so 90s though, doesn't anybody agree? They're so old hat :/

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Never seen this 4D film but I'm sure it'll be the best 4D cinema in the world.

99% of Paultons' visitors wouldn't have seen it before (myself included) so I'm sure it'll be well received.

gunmonkey

Roller Poster
Paultons need something to dry off on when the weather is bad and this fits the bill well. Fingers crossed though that they decide to continue with the indoor theme and build a dark ride soon, Paultons is in dire need of a dark ride, a ghost train, perhaps an idea could be 'Daddy Pigs Slaughter House', the kids would love it :lol:

nadroJ

CF Legend
Yesss Paultons definitely need a dark ride, even if it's just a little shooter or something.

I'd like to see how they theme the cinema, part of me wants to see it kitted out all piratey but then look at Thorpe, if they decide to change the film they're just left with a pointlessly themed theatre. We shall see.

Where in the park is this going again?

Martyn B

CF Legend
I agree that 4D cinemas are crap, especially the ones we have here in the UK.

GYPB got this film when they first opened their 4D cinema, and they've changed the films a few times now, and each film appears to have same animation design. Maybe the company that makes them offers some sort of package to the parks, so they can change the film every now and then?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
Where in the park is this going again?
In the old Romany Museum building.

PP would be missing a trick if they didn't commission a special Peppa Pig 4D cartoon.

Lofty

CF Legend
Martyn B said:
I agree that 4D cinemas are crap, especially the ones we have here in the UK.

GYPB got this film when they first opened their 4D cinema, and they've changed the films a few times now, and each film appears to have same animation design. Maybe the company that makes them offers some sort of package to the parks, so they can change the film every now and then?
They're all done on a licensing contract. So my guess is, when that specific contract runs up, they just change it to another one.

http://www.thejuice.com/

gunmonkey

Roller Poster
Paultons have added a backstage tour vid for the cinema. Theming for the area looks really good and the video even discusses the major re theme for the entrance ( be warned the presenter is really annoying! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ4kJUI5UeA

Attachments

• paultcine2.jpg
    paultcine2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 39
  • paultcine1.jpg
    paultcine1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 39

Nic

Strata Poster
^Agreed.

Hmmm, note that first concept image features posters for both Skull Rock and the Robin Hood one. Is it possible they could have more than one film on rotation (like Legoland do)? Were they struggling to decide between them? Will they change the film regularly, and that's the next prime candidate? Did they just go on Juice's website and pull off the first two images they could find?

Martyn B

CF Legend
GYPB done the same thing. They opened it with Skull Rock and then changed to Robin Hood (or vice versa).

Like I said on the other page, it must be some kind of package they get, where they have a few films they can choose from etc.

gunmonkey

Roller Poster
Just love Paultons for how much they care for their park, they build a new ride and decide to build an entire street to match the theme! Merlin build a new ride and think 'how many shipping containers can we use this time' Paultons must have very deep pockets at the moment judging by the development the park is going through ( thanks Peppa :) )

peep

CF Legend
The idea of building a whole street set just (especially after looking at the concept art) reminds me of the Plopsa parks for some reason. Looks nice, I've not watched the video yet, where in the park is this going?