What's new

Parks that are in decline

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
Ouch! They just got a new coaster, they can’t be that bad off!
That is exactly the problem. Merlin think slapping something new in every few years means they can let the rest of the park go to ruin. It's so run down in places it's untrue.

MOD EDIT - double post merged

I'd personally say that park numbers have been increased quite substantially since the installation of Wicker Man, and I still see the magic in Alton Towers just as much as I ever did! However, numbers were really low between 2015 and 2017 following the Smiler crash in June 2015.
Numbers have almost definitely increased but that is most likely to do with a very expansive ad campaign and subsidised annual pass scheme. The park has been run shockingly this year and the budget cuts are there for all to see. In the late 90's Alton towers had Disney level magic imo. To make that comparison these days would be the equivalent of comparing Alton to m&d's

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I have a question. Why do you hate Parques Reunidos so much?

Have you ever played RCT or a similar theme park game, and tried to save up a lot of money by leaving a park running overnight, or throughout the day while you're at school? Then when you return, hundreds of years have passed in-game, while the park has received no new additions, but it has amassed a lot of money from a steady income. Parques Reunidos does that in real life, only that the money isn't saved up to build new and awesome attractions, it's given to shareholders, or used to buy more parks they can give the same treatment to.

Parques Reunidos doesn't quite give a face to the term "neglected theme park", but they sure give it a logo.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I posted this in the "parks you have no desire to revisit thread but it also feels quite appropriate here.

Marineland.

I actually rather enjoyed the Arrow Looper but that park is in some rough shape and unless they're going to open up something huge (which I doubt as I would be shocked if the park even opened next season let alone built a cred) or I have a friend who REALLY wants to go there's just no reason to go back. It's kind of a shame actually, The park owns a TON of land and it's pretty prime real estate new Niagara Falls (like you can see the falls on some of the taller rides) but the old just hasn't built up the place. If someone wanted to buy the park and put a LOT of money into building up the park and moving away from the Animal shows (kind of like what the Sea World parks are doing) I truly believe it could be a huge money maker and a great destination.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
No one has yet mentioned Marineland in Canada. That park was already hanging by the thread of a thread, and now the very long-time owner has died. So it is crunch time. Either that park will fold wirhin a year or two, or a larger chain/corporate interest will buy the place and transform it. It can’t and won’t go on as it is.

If you have always wanted to ride the amazingly weird and fun Dragon Mountain, I’d suggest you get there while you can (assuming you can ignore the park’s reputation for animal neglect).

I posted this in the "parks you have no desire to revisit thread but it also feels quite appropriate here.

Marineland.

I actually rather enjoyed the Arrow Looper but that park is in some rough shape and unless they're going to open up something huge (which I doubt as I would be shocked if the park even opened next season let alone built a cred) or I have a friend who REALLY wants to go there's just no reason to go back. It's kind of a shame actually, The park owns a TON of land and it's pretty prime real estate new Niagara Falls (like you can see the falls on some of the taller rides) but the old just hasn't built up the place. If someone wanted to buy the park and put a LOT of money into building up the park and moving away from the Animal shows (kind of like what the Sea World parks are doing) I truly believe it could be a huge money maker and a great destination.
Lol! See my post right below yours! Obviously, we agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Might I suggest Valleyfair, other than renegade the park is really run down and lacking.
Like if i'm being honest Mall of America is more likely to get the next roller coaster in Minnesota

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
@Pokemaniac I agree with this. Their parks do well, but not by creating that Cedar Fair Best Day experience. Both Kennywood and Compounce feel like mismanaged messes that are falling apart, you walk through Kennywood and see weeds coming up through the cracks in the midway and pass a Jack Rabbit running one train on a Saturday spilling a line out in front of the ride with the paint peeling off of it and it flat out doesn't look like they care. Their properties have potential to be really nice with the right TLC but they'd never spend the money and put in the effort to make them anything more than they are now. Kennywood is a local icon that Pittsburghers flock to no matter what just because of the heritage surrounding it so that business model works there, not sure about Compounce but they seem to be doing just fine. Both of their parks really rubbed me the wrong way though, which sucks because they do have some charm underneath it all.

In terms of parks that might be financially struggling, I have a few...

Seaworld San Antonio- On a day when Fiesta Texas was rocking, this was a ghost town. Their latest investment didn't help their situation one bit, their next one is a smaller version of the same thing Fiesta is getting, and their main draw with the Shamu shows isn't going to last forever. For that steep admission price, there's a lot of walking through dead spots of nothing whereas the Six Flags park nearby is just $10 more to get in and offers tons more. You walk around this place and it's pretty obvious they're desperate for money.

Camden Park- This property actually looks abandoned when you drive up to it. A ticket is only $14 and you get what you pay for. The place is falling apart, they've been cited by OSHA before, they make a few investments but it's obvious they don't want to pay to maintain what they already have. I think there's some kind of fair there so that might make them enough money to keep them going as well as the lack of competition, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this park shut down at some point long term.

Timber Falls Adventure Park- This park, which is more of an FEC, just shut their (really REALLY awesome) wooden coaster because they couldn't afford to maintain it. I've heard from several others that this place is always dead, I would be extremely surprised to see them not in the red.