Own any coaster parts?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I guess that means we're friends.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster
I own a plate from the train of Twister at Grona Lund that is signed by the GG guys.

Didnt bring it with me when i moved due to lack of space inside my car, so its chillin in Ohio atm.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I have:

- Roller bearing from Steeplechase (BPB)
- Roller bearing from Big One (BPB)
- Lap bar pin from Big One (BPB)
- Upstop wheel from Big One (BPB)
- Running wheel from Wild Mouse (BPB)
- 'Mushroom Wheel' from Wild Mouse (BPB)
- Wooden block made from wood from the Sceninc Railway (Dreamland)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thorpe Park gave me an old, used nut from Stealth when I went on a VIP Backstage tour. Well, actually they gave it to Chris Brown after he BEGGED for it but Chris gave it to me. He got some bearing thing which he nursed like a newborn baby during the long drive home.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/ianmbell/status/730474993214181377[/tweet]

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Jarrett said:
Back in December, I went to a coaster enthusiast Christmas party hosted by local enthusiast couple for some general gooning about. While the party consisted mostly of being fat around a table of appetizers, watching Inside Out, we also played the best party game ever. In the back of the room, there was a table littered with wood scraps, wheels, brackets, and fasteners of every type. They even had a few tattered flags on the wall, and all of it was numbered. We were given sheets of paper and pencils with the same numbers and we had to guess which coaster the parts came from. All in all, they had 24 to guess and that wasn't even all of their stuff! Some of the interesting things included a giant chunk of Son of Beast's supports, a wheel from Mystery Mine, a cap from one of Trailblazer's little red rails, an upstop bracket from Thunder Run, flags from Legend and Kentucky Rumbler, and a bolt from Thunderhead. And seeing how I'm with Emily and we're both disgusting goons, this couple seemed like quite the glimpse into the future, displaying coaster parts proudly in their house and putting souvenir mugs atop their kitchen cabinets and sporting a whole walk-in closet full of gooniform. I had to go early but before I left, Nick (one of the hosts) took me aside to mark my paper and tell me which part was which and how he got each one.

We might not all have 24 coaster parts for which to play a guessing game at a party full of drunk goons watching Disney movies, but lately I've taken delight in the challenge of obtaining them for display around my room. Anybody else do the same? Say what you have, which coaster it's from, how you're displaying it, and how you got it.

I might be a bit basic, but...

*Son of Beast Bolt- Bought this when it was torn down, currently have it on my dresser with the little tag that came with it identifying what it is. I actually wrote a mechanism description on it for this "English class for engineers"-type course I took.
*Wood scraps from The Beast- Saw them sitting by the structure on a walkback and asked if I could take them home with me. Currently on my dresser.
*Kentucky Rumbler Bolt- Saw it laying next to the queue line and asked the ride supervisor if I could take it home. Currently in a shadowbox with the stuff from my BB/HW/KK trip last spring.
*Wood scrap from Tornado (Stricker's Grove)- Saw it by the exit and asked to take it home. Currently on my dresser.
*Wood scraps from Thunder Road- Saw a few of these on a walkback and asked the mechanical maintenance manager if I could take a few. Some are on my dresser but the best preserved one is in my Carowinds shadowbox.
*Bolts, nuts, washers, wood scraps, brackets, you literally name it from Storm Chaser- Saw that quite a few of these had fallen outside park property onto the road below like trash while RMC ripped up the old structure and filled my little car caddy up with them. I plan to put some of them in a shadowbox when it opens, keep some, don't be a tool to me and I might have one to spare. Currently most are still in my car, one was given away at a Coaster Crew raffle, Emily has two.
*Wheel shaving from Top Thrill Dragster- Saw a spot on the launch where a lot of polyurethane was being sheared from the wheel when it cleared the launch track so I picked up a bigger piece of it and took it home. Currently sitting in a shadowbox with the rest of my Cedar Point stuff.

Which coaster parts do you have? Post away!
*Added a little chip of paint from Millennium Force that I found that had flaked off of the coaster.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I always wanted to have a coaster part, and last week, that finally came true: I am now a proud owner of a Eurosat Wheel from Europa Park. It's been in use since 1989. Eurosat has always been one of my favorite coasters, so I am really happy to have a part of it, as a memory before it got butchered and redesigned to be a weird ass french Can Can coaster.
It's about 24 cm/9,4 inch in diameter and weighs about 10,1 kg /22,3 lbs (that's surprisingly massive), and still has its bearing and axle (fidget spinner anyone? No?).
Maybe when I have time I'm gonna clean and repaint it.
IMG_20180216_150746.jpg IMG_20180216_150800.jpg

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
In use since 1989? I thought coaster wheels were replaced several times a year?

Ireeb

Mega Poster
In use since 1989? I thought coaster wheels were replaced several times a year?
The metal parts usually only get replaced if they are suspected to have internal cracks or stuff like that. But as long as the metal is fine, only the plastic ring on the outside gets replaced after a few years. The intervall on which this happen may vary from coaster to coaster, I wouldn't be surprised if it's necessary to replace it more often on a 120 km/h hypercoaster than on a 60 km/h enclosed roller coaster.

Last edited:

Dipper_Dave

Roller Poster
@Ireeb nice wheel. I have a few Blackpool Pleasure Beach ride parts. I'll get a photo up sometime soon. Particularly pleased to have some Wild Mouse parts. Who knows if the whole ride was sent to the scrapheap or if they kept aside a few parts to sell in the shop, but I'm glad I picked these up while I did. Great to have a piece of your favourite ride. They're mostly shoved in a cupboard, but when we move house I hope to display them somewhere

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I've literally just bought a chain dog from BPB, that was used on one of the woodies. I also have a big one guide wheel, 3 chain links, a bearing off a PB ride and more.

Dipper_Dave

Roller Poster
I've literally just bought a chain dog from BPB, that was used on one of the woodies. I also have a big one guide wheel, 3 chain links, a bearing off a PB ride and more.

Which coaster was it from? I've only ever seen Wild Mouse & Steeplechase chain dogs. Many other ride parts on sale?

Ireeb

Mega Poster
@Ireeb nice wheel. I have a few Blackpool Pleasure Beach ride parts. I'll get a photo up sometime soon. Particularly pleased to have some Wild Mouse parts. Who knows if the whole ride was sent to the scrapheap or if they kept aside a few parts to sell in the shop, but I'm glad I picked these up while I did. Great to have a piece of your favourite ride. They're mostly shoved in a cupboard, but when we move house I hope to display them somewhere
Since I have access to a laser cutter, I'm planning to build a display stand for it from acrylic glass. As a special feature I'm gonna build it so that the wheel itself stands on 2 smaller bearings, so you can spin the wheel even if it's standing :p (A construction which only holds the axle would probably be too hard/expensive to build since it's so heavy.)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Which coaster was it from? I've only ever seen Wild Mouse & Steeplechase chain dogs. Many other ride parts on sale?
The ticket attached to the part says it's either from the Grand National, Big Dipper, or Nickelodeon Streak, but it doesn't specify which one mine came from, as it's the same.

Dipper_Dave

Roller Poster
The ticket attached to the part says it's either from the Grand National, Big Dipper, or Nickelodeon Streak, but it doesn't specify which one mine came from, as it's the same.

That's a bit annoying, not knowing which its from. I have an upstop / roller wheel too, that says from Nash / Streak. Even if they all use the part, its a a bit vague of them to say "This is a used part from what could be one of three different rides."

How much was it, out of interest? I think I paid £20 for a Mouse chain dog and £25 for a Steeple one. I seem to remember the ride part prices rising near the end of last season. A bit cheeky considering at the end of the day its a lump of rusting old metal that they would otherwise have binned. They have had that Airbender cylindrical shaft tube thing for ages at £90. Not sure anyone would pay half that, unless there are major 'giant spinning plate' ride nerds out there.