What's new

Overrated and Underrated Roller Coasters

Edward M

Strata Poster
Anyone have that one roller coaster everyone loves but you hate? Maybe there is one that everyone hates but you love. Any rides you find overrated or underrated?

Edward M

Strata Poster
Overrated- Cyclone @ Coney Island, Kingda Ka, and I305
Underrated- Rampage @ Alabama Adventure and Vortex @ KI
I hate everyone else likes- Wild Eagle @ Dollywood
I like everyone else hates- Shockwave @ KD, Volares, Disaster Transport (RIP :( ), and Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Smithy

Strata Poster
Because my count is relatively small, I'll do it by park (ignoring the smaller parks and Drayton because, well, they're ****)

Flamingo Land's Velocity is hugely under rated imo, it's a great family and teen coaster, the seating position is unique, the launch exciting without being too much or too rough, although instead of the three almost helixes with near misses it could probably add another bunny hop or two or 'chicane' bends. It's by no means a top ride, but it definitely deserves more praise than it recieves. Jesus, to the extent that I actually forgot about Flamino Land entirely when filling out Mitch Hawker Poll. D'oh.

Air is under rated in the sense that for what it currently is. Family coaster, step up coaster that provides a thrill to those not willing to jump into the queue for the roaring mass of steel and bloody water next to it. It's market has changed from when it first opened but I feel it currently hits it's target perfectly. I daresay Nemesis is over rated by the UK, although that's not an all to uncommon view as it's one of the best rides in the country, but on the continent it's merely a very good ride.

I'd say Revolution is under rated at Blackpool. Fun ride, fun at the front and the back and a rare experience both in the park (something relatively modern!) and in the country. Not sure which of the woodies I'd say was over rated as my views are skewed by viewing specific boards so I'd be basing it off of their biased views rather than the view of a ride generally so I'll stay away from listing one.

Tomahawk at Port Aventura is hugely under rated, Jesus what a fun little woody that one is.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
The obvious ones are TTD/KK. I guess especially KK since it has so much more hype.
Neither worth more than a 15 minute wait for me once you've done it.

Another is Fahrenheit. I found it quite forceless, slow and bland.

Underrated? Hm...probably Grizzly at KD.
Talon is another. Oh Hydra! People seem to hate that one because either the jojo roll is the anti christ, or the ride is lame. It's not great but I rather like it and has a unique layout. Probably the biggest one people hate that I don't.

I did think Alpengeist a tad overrated. It's too big I think, if that can make any sense.

Edward M said:
Disaster Transport (RIP :( )
I loved that one! Simple fun.

Snowman

Roller Poster
Overrated-
Skyrush I didn't even really enjoy that much. It had a cool moment or two, but not enough for it to really be as highly rated or standout as it is in my opinion. I only got it twice on a really hot day after waiting 60 minutes in line, though, so that may have something to do with it.
Raptor is way too popular in my opinion. It frustrates me to see it have the longest line bar MForce when Maverick and TTD also exist (and now Gatekeeper). There's just nothing about it that makes it stand out or be all that quality, yet it's still super ultra popular.

Underrated-
Hydra for same reasons as above. I really like the jojo roll, and feel as if it's a really cool ride.
Lightning Racer is awesome and I think it needs a bit more love. The line for it is always empty, but it's a fantastic coaster and I think it could use a little more attention.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Snowman said:
Overrated-
Raptor is way too popular in my opinion. It frustrates me to see it have the longest line bar MForce when Maverick and TTD also exist (and now Gatekeeper).
I agree! Raptor barely made it off my overrated list.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I'd say Cheetah Hunt is over rated, but I cant remember ever seeing people bang on about it.... It opened, then fell off the radar.

Lofty

CF Legend
Overrated: Knightmare.

It has the typical 'it's a Scwarz to we have to like it' ideology attached to it, when in reality it is/was an extremely mediocre ride.

Underrated: ROTM.

It's such a good little coaster with some amazing forces attached to it. I could just ride it all day. It's great fu.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Overrated - i305
Underrated - Shock at Rainbow MagicLand. Such a great, re-rideable coaster and nobody ever talks about it.

marc

CF Legend
Ispeed, katurn, Baco, zues and Oziris are the main ones that I've done that have been over hyped. None apart from Baco are bad coasters I just don't get why people love them.

Underrated for me is California Screaming, loved that coaster was so much fun.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Silver Star is underrated.

I rode it first time this summer, so I can't say if it were worse before (trim brakes were not on that hard IMO) but it was an extremely fun and enjoyable coaster.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Totally agree, though my experience seems to match yours: rode it last year which seems to go against the experiences of people who rode it earlier.

I loved it. It's one of my favourite B&M hypers, and I've been on most of them now.

Snoo

The Legend
nadroJ said:
Overrated - i305
Underrated - Shock at Rainbow MagicLand. Such a great, re-rideable coaster and nobody ever talks about it.

I wouldn't say 305 is overrated. Very few people loved it, and most of those were riding it in the original version.

Since then? Tons and tons of meh tbh.

kimahri

CF Legend
I305, Boulderdash, Stealth, Uh, Theres probably some others I can't remember off the top of my head for overrated stuff.

Can't Think of anything underrated.