What's new

Overrated and Underrated Roller Coasters

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Overrated:
-The Smiler. I see way to many people say how amazing it is. But, it just isn't? The inversions are all repetitive. It's rough and rattly. Sure, it looks imposing and good, but that's about it.

-Raik. It's the weakest layout of any junior Vekoma Boomerang I've done imo. Station and landscaping is fab obviously, but the ride is poor.

Underrated
-Anubis, Plopsaland. I'm not sure if it's necessarily "underrated" per se, but it's a damn fun ride and I don't think it gets enough love.
-Lost Gravity. Same as above really.

-Vekoma SLCs. The ride layout is actually decent, as I realised when riding Energylandia's one. It's a shame most should carry a risk of death warning. So I s'pose I'm saying the last SLCs are underrated because people have low expectations of them.

TPC

Roller Poster
I know the old rock work existed but it is still so much better than most other family coasters.

Snoo

The Legend
Overrated:

Steel Vengeance: It was a stellar ride by any measure, but I felt like it spent so much time trying to always be doing something that it failed to capitalize on its size. I only got one lap on it, so perhaps my opinion will change down the road, but for now, I'm not even sure if it's the best ride in the park, let alone the world.

The Voyage: Somewhat similar to Steel Vengeance in that it felt like it tried to do so much that it wound up just coming off as overkill. It probably didn't help that it was rough when I rode it.

The Raven: Poor Holiday World. Two rides on this list is a bit rough for a park with as limited a coaster collection as they have. I just thought it was a fun little ride, but pretty middle-of-the-road.

SheiKra and Griffon: I've ridden the three US Dive Machines. These two were quite bland. Those vertical drops are great, but the thrill of lingering over the edge on the first drop hardly makes up for the fact that these rides are generally B&M hyper coasters without just about everything that makes B&M hyper coasters great.

Raptor: Sure, it's a solid coaster, but it just doesn't have the punch I wish it did.

Diamondback: It's one of the most bland B&M hyper coasters in existence. Solid, but unremarkable. I feel like it lacks any specific aspect that gives it character.

The Beast: It's fun, sure, but there really isn't enough going on for me to understand why this ride gets the love it does, even at night.

Mind Bender and Shock Wave: I'm doubling these up as well due to similarity. They're fun, but I can't for the life of me understand why these get the love they do. I especially like that Mind Bender has a layout amidst its inversions, but they're just pretty meh.

Underrated:

Batman - The Ride: I'm sure everyone wishes I'd probably just shut up about these clones, but they truly are absolutely spectacular and probably the best looping coasters on the planet. That brutal intensity is exceptional.

Flight Deck (CGA): Batman - The Ride with a little less is still more than most inverts could ever hope to be.

Silver Bullet: I really expected this ride to be bland. I found it to be quite the opposite. It's got plenty of kick, and the finale is really, really good.

The Legend: Holiday World's best. This ride did absolutely everything right. My #3 wooden coaster.

Intimidator: I don't know if it's the dive-bomber second drop, the high-speed turnaround where most of its peers just did standard hammerheads, or just the great memories I have of Carowinds, but if one is curious what B&M's best ride is in the 200-299-foot range, this one deserves a nomination.

Nitro and Silver Star: Listed together for similarity, I feel like both, despite having respectable fan bases, get a lot of undeserved flak. They have all the airtime of later installations, but with some non-air maneuvers (Nitro's helix, Silver Star's turnaround, etc.) to keep things interesting. Two of the best hypercoasters in existence if you ask me.

Goliath (SFMM) and Titan: Great speed and ridiculous intensity. No, they aren't particular strong in the airtime front, but they didn't try to be. Speed and positive g-forces were the orders of the day, and these rides delivered well on both counts. Two of my favorite hypers out there, with Titan especially so.

Valravn: I expected this ride to just be a slightly less bland version of the same bland coaster style. I was sorely mistaken. B&M finally delivered a Dive Machine worthy of high praise with this one.

Racer '75: Weird choice, I know, but with the retracking this baby got, it is one heck of a fun ride.

Cheetah Hunt: No, it isn't Maverick, but it is still one heck of an incredible ride. It might even be my favorite at Busch Gardens Tampa. Fight me.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Space Mountain - Mission 2: Okay, I think the Paris version of the former somehow lacks the mojo of its Orlando counterpart, but these rides are friggin' outstanding, and yes, I rode Space Mountain - Mission 2 with the old restraints.

Hydra - The Revenge: No, it isn't the most intense, but the vast differences between it and the formulaic floorlesses that make up most of B&M's catalogue for that coaster type made for a refreshing change of pace, even if I still prefer most of those to this one.

Bizarro: On the one hand, it might be THE most generic floorless B&M ever built. On the other, it's one of the most aggressive.

Any Boomerang with the new trains: Flying Cobras? Speed of Sound? Hey, these are actually pretty fun!

I've always felt Steel Vengeance is a multi-ride type deal. You get SO much thrown at you so fast, it's tough to take in after just a ride or even two. Once I had 3+ rides on it, I got the full scope and the enormity sunk in for me personally. Of course, I actively attempt to avoid any hype and POV's to get the full raw emotion for myself without outside influences. That is typically why some coasters of mine tend to be higher then others in some cases as I avoid that type of deal until after.

As far as Voyage, having ridden it this year, I can safely say it is much smoother then years past. However, unlike SteVe, I do think this ride can be hit or miss depending on what you like. As I'm an airtime/strong forces/woodie type guy, Voyage has a soft spot for me. Also, as the night ride is complete sex, it helps any other doubts I may have in some cases.

sirloin

Roller Poster
I've always felt Steel Vengeance is a multi-ride type deal. You get SO much thrown at you so fast, it's tough to take in after just a ride or even two. Once I had 3+ rides on it, I got the full scope and the enormity sunk in for me personally. Of course, I actively attempt to avoid any hype and POV's to get the full raw emotion for myself without outside influences. That is typically why some coasters of mine tend to be higher then others in some cases as I avoid that type of deal until after.
I do think that any rating I have of Steel Vengeance is tentative at best in light of only having one lap, especially as it was on a cold evening shortly after opening. I still felt like I got my money's worth out of the experience, but I think I would have enjoyed a few speed elements in between the barrage of airtime and barrel rolls to mix it all up a bit. It's a massive ride, and yet I felt like the design didn't ever really show off that aspect of the ride. I mean, sure, you get more elements because of it, but I would've liked a sustained high-speed turn or something like that to remind me of just how huge that ride really is.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Overrated:

SheiKra and Griffon: I've ridden the three US Dive Machines. These two were quite bland. Those vertical drops are great, but the thrill of lingering over the edge on the first drop hardly makes up for the fact that these rides are generally B&M hyper coasters without just about everything that makes B&M hyper coasters great.

Raptor: Sure, it's a solid coaster, but it just doesn't have the punch I wish it did.

Diamondback: It's one of the most bland B&M hyper coasters in existence. Solid, but unremarkable. I feel like it lacks any specific aspect that gives it character.

Underrated:

Batman - The Ride: I'm sure everyone wishes I'd probably just shut up about these clones, but they truly are absolutely spectacular and probably the best looping coasters on the planet. That brutal intensity is exceptional.

Flight Deck (CGA): Batman - The Ride with a little less is still more than most inverts could ever hope to be.

Silver Bullet: I really expected this ride to be bland. I found it to be quite the opposite. It's got plenty of kick, and the finale is really, really good.

Intimidator: I don't know if it's the dive-bomber second drop, the high-speed turnaround where most of its peers just did standard hammerheads, or just the great memories I have of Carowinds, but if one is curious what B&M's best ride is in the 200-299-foot range, this one deserves a nomination.

Nitro and Silver Star: Listed together for similarity, I feel like both, despite having respectable fan bases, get a lot of undeserved flak. They have all the airtime of later installations, but with some non-air maneuvers (Nitro's helix, Silver Star's turnaround, etc.) to keep things interesting. Two of the best hypercoasters in existence if you ask me.

Goliath (SFMM) and Titan: Great speed and ridiculous intensity. No, they aren't particular strong in the airtime front, but they didn't try to be. Speed and positive g-forces were the orders of the day, and these rides delivered well on both counts. Two of my favorite hypers out there, with Titan especially so.

Valravn: I expected this ride to just be a slightly less bland version of the same bland coaster style. I was sorely mistaken. B&M finally delivered a Dive Machine worthy of high praise with this one.

Cheetah Hunt: No, it isn't Maverick, but it is still one heck of an incredible ride. It might even be my favorite at Busch Gardens Tampa. Fight me.

Any Boomerang with the new trains: Flying Cobras? Speed of Sound? Hey, these are actually pretty fun!
Meet in the alley behind Publix...

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Some of the main ones that come to mind from my personal experience.
Overrated- Outlaw Run, El Toro, Millennium Force, Balder, Bizarro, Great Bear
Underrated - Thundercoaster, Time Traveler, Boardwalk Bullet, Boulder Dash, Rougarou, Twister (Grona Lund)

Snoo

The Legend
Some of the main ones that come to mind from my personal experience.
Overrated- Outlaw Run, El Toro, Millennium Force, Balder, Bizarro, Great Bear
Underrated - Thundercoaster, Time Traveler, Boardwalk Bullet, Boulder Dash, Rougarou, Twister (Grona Lund)

Great Bear overrated? In what universe?

Boulder Dash underrated? IN WHAT UNIVERSE?

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Great Bear overrated? In what universe?

Boulder Dash underrated? IN WHAT UNIVERSE?
Great Bear was an absolutely snooze fest. I thought it was extremely boring, so even if it's not rated super highly, I don't think it's even top 7 at Hersheypark.

Boulder Dash has a huge variety of opinions. You clearly don't underrate it, but on other platforms besides Coasterforce, Boulder Dash has become very underrated in recent years. I personally believe it is still one of THE very best coasters on Earth.

Snoo

The Legend
Great Bear was an absolutely snooze fest. I thought it was extremely boring, so even if it's not rated super highly, I don't think it's even top 7 at Hersheypark.

Boulder Dash has a huge variety of opinions. You clearly don't underrate it, but on other platforms besides Coasterforce, Boulder Dash has become very underrated in recent years. I personally believe it is still one of THE very best coasters on Earth.

I don't think you understand the meaning behind the terms though.

Overrated typically means a lot of people think highly of a ride and it was a let down. Very few think highly of Great Bear and that was only confirmed by your feelings you just described.

As far as Boulder Dash, I don't think so. I've seen people sour on it a little but have the coaster remain in their Top 10 even with that. The ride isn't it's former self, jumped on it a few years back, but it is definitely not underrated. Even on CF. I will say many people have it overrated and not underrated for that exact reason.. it's not what it once was.. not the world beater it was once considered.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Smiler is so overrated it seems, but I think that's usually because those people have yet to ride many good rides outside of the UK, sorry guys, it's absolute garbage.
Balder is also overrated, did nothing for me, and I love Toro and Colossos.
Nitro is underrated, I freaking loved all my rides on that bad boy.
Oblivion gets it in the neck for the one trick pony award but hot damn that drop is still the best drop of the Dive's imo (with mist obvs)

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
I don't think you understand the meaning behind the terms though.

Overrated typically means a lot of people think highly of a ride and it was a let down. Very few think highly of Great Bear and that was only confirmed by your feelings you just described.

As far as Boulder Dash, I don't think so. I've seen people sour on it a little but have the coaster remain in their Top 10 even with that. The ride isn't it's former self, jumped on it a few years back, but it is definitely not underrated. Even on CF. I will say many people have it overrated and not underrated for that exact reason.. it's not what it once was.. not the world beater it was once considered.
Here's the definition of overrate:
overrate - have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.
There's no mention that something has to be highly rated, just means that my opinion of Great Bear is less than average. The opposite applies for BDash :)

Snoo

The Legend
Here's the definition of overrate:
overrate - have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.
There's no mention that something has to be highly rated, just means that my opinion of Great Bear is less than average. The opposite applies for BDash :)

But.. the average for Great Bear is already low.. like as low as you said. Your description is the average. The fact that the ride is rarely mentioned and is thrown under the bus when mentioned is enough to confirm that feeling in general, especially on CF.

You have a strong point with Boulder Dash but I stand by my thoughts. BD isn't underrated in any sense as the average feeling on it is good to great. You thinking it is great is.. average.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Overrated
Lightning Rod
Millenium Force
Magnum XL 200
Banshee
Wicked Cyclone

Underrated
Apollo's Chariot
Goliath
Storm Runner
Verbolten
Alpengeist

Snoo

The Legend
Overrated
Lightning Rod
Millenium Force
Magnum XL 200
Banshee
Wicked Cyclone

Underrated
Apollo's Chariot
Goliath
Storm Runner
Verbolten
Alpengeist

I will say about Magnum, it depends on who you are. That ride does not have the world-wide acclaim it used to but I've been a fan of a decent to good ride. That being said, I'm an airtime slut so.. lol

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
I will say about Magnum, it depends on who you are. That ride does not have the world-wide acclaim it used to but I've been a fan of a decent to good ride. That being said, I'm an airtime slut so.. lol
I found the airtime to be a bit weak, and the ride itself was rough, but I respect your opinion and you shouldn't be ashamed of it.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Agree based on my visit last June. (wish I made it in time to see all of you though :s)

Magnum doesn't have the consistent and sophisticated excitement of current elite rides, but its bunny hop finale has some of the more powerful and fun airtime I've experienced. The ejector is so sudden, it is very different from your usual clinically banked track.

Not sure if I liked it after the first time, but I eventually chain-rides Magnum a bit so yeah :D

KommissarLT

Roller Poster
I'd say one of the most underrated coasters is Monster at Adventureland in Iowa, which makes sense since it's in a small park. Great drop, hangtime moments, and the lighting package (I went for an afternoon and got to go on it 3 times, so I never saw the lighting package) looks great. As for overrated, I would say Maverick at Cedar Point (don't kill me, it's in my top 20 still), maybe its because I didn't know what I was getting into with all the super-quick transitions and powerful ejector hills. As for Intimidator 305, since I went on Maverick first and knew about its intensity, I enjoyed i305 way more than Maverick.

Hutch

Strata Poster
which makes sense since it's in a small park.
You can still have highly rated rides at small parks though, ex. Phoenix/Knoebels and Boulder Dash/Lake Compounce. Actually, the size of the park shouldn't matter when it comes to rating rides. You could relocate Monster to a Cedar Point or a Six Flags and opinions of the ride itself wouldn't change.

I haven't ridden Monster so I can't speak for how good it is. It's rarely talked about, probably because Adventureland doesn't exactly attract many goons, but when it is talked about it seems to receive solid reviews (much like yours).