Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overrated and Underrated Roller Coasters

Discussion in 'General Discussions & Opinions' started by Edward M, Mar 14, 2013.

1. SilverArrow

SilverArrow Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    BGT
    Coaster Count:
    Overrated
    Steel Vengeance. It's really good but not some out of body experience like some make it out to be. It's not leagues better then other coasters like some have proclaimed.

Ravine Flyer II- was too rough too enjoy this year which was disappointing.

Phoenix (Knoebels)- this was way better than RFII but it didn't blow me away

Boulderdash- same as above really, didn't do it in the dark though. Would probably rate it similarly to Phoenix, like top 20 or 30 but deffo not top 10.

Hollenblitz. Just remember being a bit disappointed in this because it had been hyped up but for a travelling cred it's pretty good.

Swarm. Seen some people say swarm is really intense. I am confused.

Smiler. It is a bit of a marmite ride but has some die hard fan people who rave about it. It's decent and long but doesn't really compare to some of the european gersts.

Underrated
    Grizzly at KD- just has a really fun layout but you never hear about it, only realised it existed when I went to KD and researched it beforehand.

Revolution at BPB, yes it's short but it's probably my favourite cred at BPB after Icon. Backwards airtime into a loop is fun.

Falken- Farup Sommerland. It's a bit rough in a few places (gerst woodie btw) but it has some serious airtime yet nobody ever mentions it.

Twister, Knoebels. Probably wouldn't rank it super highly but this cred gets completely overshadowed by the Phoenix hype.

The racers at KI and KD. I think one was smoother than the other (possibly KI) but I enjoy the racing sensation and looking at the other train to see if you're in front and all 4 of these are just really fun.

Banshee. I see a lot of hate for this cred because it doesn't do what people expect it to do but if you take it for what it is, more of a floaty style invert then it's still good fun. Ok not sure about the restraints, but yeah it's not awful.

All of the bobsleighs basically. Not that I've done them all but all of the ones I've done have been really fun and nobody ever really mentions them. I always make a conscious effort to make sure I do them because I really like them.

Verbolten- I think this got a fair bit of praise when it opened but it's kind of overshadowed by the bigger B&M's at the park. I came off it trying to decide whether it was my favourite at the park!

Great White, Morey's Pier. This has a really cool layout that even goes out over the beach, really fun ride.

Galeforce, Playland's Castaway Cove. Now that it's got it's new track (never did the previous one) it's really smooth and fun. It has a ridiculously small footprint but gives you a lot for that and even had some weird airtimey moments. A great seaside or small park addition!

Stunt Fall aka the GIB in Madrid. This was quite intense (not a fan over long hangtime over huge drops so was a bit nervous beforehand) for a boomerang and even made me want to reride it. Was disappointed when the one at SFNE was closed.

Dragon Fly, family gerst at Duinrell. This thing is crazy. Daviddoc and I both came off this amazed as it had loads of airtime in it! We were not expecting that!

Star Trek Op. Enterprise. I really enjoyed the airtime from the backwards launch and down from the spike and this was just fun. I would probably say Icon is better, just but not many people comment much on this or consider it a bit meh.

Temple of the nighthawk. I strangely really like this coaster, I am a fan of coasters in the dark and this one is just swoopy and relaxing. It is so chill and nice. Nobody gets this!

2. b&mfanboy123

b&mfanboy123 Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Fury 325
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Coaster Count:
    YES VERBOLTEN IS *DEMONITIZED FOR LIKE THE FIFTH TIME* AMAZING!
    2nd best ride at BGW

SilverArrow likes this.
  3. Youngster Joey

Youngster Joey Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Really? 2nd best at BGW?!?!

I really like verbolten but i think that's quite a stance. How do you rank them all?

4. b&mfanboy123

Best Coaster:
    Fury 325
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Coaster Count:
    1. Apollo's Chariot - Everything is simply perfect, the pacing, the airtime, the intensity, it makes a elite coaster, and the setting makes it that much better #8 - also my 150th cred
    2. Verbolten - The indoor section is sublime, the theming is amazing, and it's more forceful than Millenium Force - #17
    3. Alpengeist - Top 3 invert, each inversion is whippy to where it might even be to whippy. - #27
    4. Griffon - Best dive
    5. Invadr - Great family GCI
    6. Nessie - Classic
    7. Tempasta
    8. Grover's

5. Youngster Joey

Youngster Joey Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Interesting. definitely not the way I would rank them but to each their own.

6. EpochEmu

EpochEmu Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    BGW
    I think the layout is great, it should be an amazing ride but for me it's the roughest woodie in the park- even Rebel Yell had more airtime the last time I went!
    Verbolten really is an ingenious ride in my opinion. I can see how SilverArrow could put it #1 (although Apollo is amazing).. in it's opening year, the theming and effects were amazing. Sadly some of them have gone over the years, but it's still probably the most unique ride in the park.
    What does that mean?

7. SilverArrow

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    BGT
    Coaster Count:
    I would probably put Alpengeist top, then Verboten, then Apollo (did Nitro a few days before so that might not have helped), then the rest but the top 3 are a tough call. I know some criticise invadr but I even enjoyed that too. I enjoy dive coasters like Griffon, but they never greatly stand out to me. BGW has a really balanced, good line up.

EpochEmu likes this.
  8. daviddoc

daviddoc Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    reverse parallel
    Coaster Count:
    Overrated -

Phoenix - Don't get me wrong, it's a great coaster, but to me it lacks the "wow" factor to make it truly amazing. some rate this as the #1 wooden coaster, but to me that's just wrong. It's good, but it's not on the same scale as el Toro , voyage or the other wooden greats.

Coaster express - most people agree it's :emoji_poop:, but it's hard to fully express just how :emoji_poop: this coaster is. It's so much :emoji_poop:tier than you think it may be if you haven't ridden it.

Millennium Force - Again, it's a good coaster but the layout just isn't that mind blowing. It's a landmark coaster as a giga coaster, but with only 3 airtime hills on the layout and repeated overbanked turns, it could of been so much more and a better layout.

Underrated -

Alpina Blitz - I'd rate this above intamin mega lites, it's just pure bouncy fun fun with mix of floater and ejector and endless reriability

Storm (etnaland) - Very few people seem to have ridden this, but it's fun in the same way alpina blitz is (although not quite as good)

Gale Force - As Silverarrow said, this is just so much fun in such a small footprint. Way better than I expected

T-Express and Atlantis Adventure (south Korea) - These are both wonderful, but again their lack of western riders means they are often ignored and forgotten

Goudurix - not underrated because it's amazing, just underrated because it's not nearly as bad as some people seem to think it is. It looks amazing, and after the extensive work that's been done to it over the years, it's really not that bad, and no worse than any other vekoma multi looper.

Black Mamba - This is a phenomenal inverted coaster which does what inverted coasters should do - stay close to the ground and deliver all the foot choppers.

Any B&M floorless at american parks - It's sad, these are usually great coasters, but are often overshadowed by much better coasters in the same park (bizaro, scream, dominator - all good coasters)

Intimidator 305 - This is the best coaster in the world, and cannot be praised enough.

Coaster Hipster likes this.
  9. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Howie and Snoo like this.
  10. Snoo

Snoo Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    I don't think making a point to say I hate you every time you post this will ever get old. :p

Howie and Hixee like this.
  11. Hyde

Hyde I Lied About My Age! Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    I will chime in with Tempesto as an underrated roller coaster. Was very pleasantly surprised with the ride experience and elements. I have poo-pooed it for years as a low capacity, second-rate ride; but really enjoyed the shuttle launch and quite forceful elements!

EpochEmu likes this.
  12. b&mfanboy123

Best Coaster:
    Fury 325
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Coaster Count:
    Take the cobra roll where there is to much whip or like the transition where it is very whippy but to a point where it is almost painful

13. Hyde

Hyde I Lied About My Age! Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Likewise, I can agree with @SilverArrow's hot takes on Virginia roller coasters. Verbolten was a very solid roller coaster, thanks to which I believe more parks need more Zierers. Grizzly at KD was awesome... the first time I rode it, at night. Speed was great through the airtime hills, and a pretty fun layout. The second ride on it though in the day brought the ride experience crashing down to earth. It's rare to have a ride that can throw you around so much, you feel your actual life force leaving your body.

SilverArrow and EpochEmu like this.
  14. SilverArrow

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    BGT
    Coaster Count:
    I'll just keep posting on everywhere. All the time.

Snoo likes this.