What's new

Out of court settlement between Sefton and Pleasureland Ltd

Emmett

Giga Poster
A COSTLY legal battle has been averted after Sefton Council and Pleasureland Limited agreed an out of court settlement for damage at the former site.

Sefton Council had threatened the firm with legal action over a dispute about the state in which the promenade attraction was left after the company moved out of the resort.

The council bought the plot of land from Pleasureland Ltd in 2007 for £7.25m after Pleasureland Ltd decided that the business was commercially unfeasible.

Sefton Council took on the site and a dispute then arose over the state the attraction was left in, with Sefton councillor Peter Dowd claiming it was handed back in a “dangerous” condition costing the borough about £350,000 to secure.

Cllr Dowd added that a hole had even been left in the roof of one of the buildings after a crane had been used to remove machines from inside.

In December 2008 Sefton’s Cabinet Urgent Business Committee agreed to enter into negotiations to settle with the firm out of court prior to a potential hearing at the High Court.

Yesterday a spokesperson for Sefton Council said: “A settlement has been reached between Sefton Council and Pleasureland Limited.

“We are unable to discuss any detail of this settlement publicly.”

The Princes Park site is now set to undergo an £80m overhaul as part of the Urban Splash redevelopment.

Link - Click me!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Glad to hear they got something. I remember talking to the guy at the time and he was livid about it.

It's odd they say that the Urban Splash development is about to happen - last I heard it was on indefinite hold due to the current financial climate :roll:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Sefton Council took on the site and a dispute then arose over the state the attraction was left in, with Sefton councillor Peter Dowd claiming it was handed back in a “dangerous” condition costing the borough about £350,000 to secure.

“We are unable to discuss any detail of this settlement publicly.”

Now, I'm no legal expert, but somewhere in the region of £350,000 perhaps?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I doubt it, I'll bet with the bent council in Sefton, they paid PBB Ltd. instead :roll:

After all ,they leased the land to PBB Lt.d for £2,000,000 and had to pay £7,000,000 to get it back, despite PBB Ltd. saying it was useless to them :shock: