What's new

Oscar nominations

Ben

CF Legend
I think the only one that'll deserve its win is Christopher Waltz for Basterds (which I'd bet on him winning) and Up for best animated.

Other than that, Tarantino won't win script or film, Up won't win score, Take It All won't win song and Penelope Cruz won't win supporting actress.

It'll be Avatar, The Hurt Locker and Precious and the unnecessarily long name that win.

Boo to the Oscars.

Dave

CF Legend
Well I hope The Hurt Locker does win some awards it is nominated for nine of them, it was a brilliant movie to watch. Stunning visuals and great acting by the lead actor.

But I'm sure Avatar will just grab all of them, due to its enourmous success.

wash

Mega Poster
I dunno about Avatar. It's bound to sweep up the technical awards, but for picture/director, I can't really say. The Oscars do love artsy films that nobody's ever heard of, but when a film reaches phenomenon status they tend to get a lot more attention (ie Forrest Gump and Titanic). That being said, I don't think it deserves to win best picture, but wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
What happened to "Best non-American film?"

That was the only one a Norwegian film would have had a chance in... I think it was up for nomination in an other category, but it didn't make it through...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven't seen most of them, but will try and see a few before the winners are announced. However:

Tarantino might be due one. If I'm remembering correctly, he got one for screenwriting years ago, but hasn't got one for directing yet.

Sandra Bullock has been around for ages so it might be her "time". My money's on her or that fat girl from "Precious: a movie based on a book nobody had ever heard of, but which obviously had an egomaniac author, again who nobody knows."

Avatar will get all the technical awards, but that's about it. It might get score, but I'd put money on Sherlock Holmes for that one.

Homer

Hyper Poster
Ctrl + F.

No Twilight/New Moon. :D
District 9
No nod for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs :(

Will watch if the Emmy's pull off another Pineapple Express skit like last year and will probably be two hours of sucking James Cameron's billion dollar sacks.

peep

CF Legend
The three main films nominated that I haven't seen yet are Hurt Locker, Blind side (or whatever it's called) and Invictus. I really want to see all three of them but feel like I can't really comment on their nominations.

However there does seem to be a lot of talk that Avatar won't win many of it's awards, which is good, it deserves to be nominated, just doesn't deserve to win them. C'mon, it's not like the Oscars give the awards to successful films (otherwise the Dark knight would have had loads of nominations, let alone actual awards).

One thing I was really happy with about the noms is Up being up for best film :D Only the second animated film to be given the nomination (the other being Beauty and the Beast). How the hell Up gets this privilege and Wall.e didn't I will never know. It won't win best film, but it best win animated film at least (to win an award for best score would be good too, was an excellent soundtrack).

Pokemaniac, what do you mean by 'what happened to "Best non-American film"?' It's called 'Best film in a foreign language' and my money is on the German film 'The white ribbon' (well, that's it's English title).

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I honestly couldn't care less. It won't affect my life or make me want to watch certain films.

And thus ends my contribution to this topic.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I was expecting something much more sarcastic than that Ian. Bummer :(

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Has anybody ever seen Kathryn Bungalow (or Big Hello!) and Liz Hurley in the same place, at the same time...?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
This needs a link:
"Honest Movie Titles: Oscars 2010"
http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1802286

collegehumor.f8c8e00339e0cdfce8afdf8744591a5f.jpg

etc, etc, etc :)

peep

CF Legend
^Those were full of win. I loved the one for Up, so, so true.

Anywho...I actually stayed up and watched it Monday morning (and considering I had to leave for work an hour and 30 mins after it finished I kinda wonder why I did). I thought the ceremony was full of very cringe moments. Why did they get rid of all the nominated songs performances (to be replaced by a lacklustre montage) to only have the most ridiculous dance performance while music from all the nominated soundtracks played? It has to be the most stupid thing I've ever seen and funnily enough you can't seem to find a clip of it anywhere online (only the auditions).

Lots of people kept getting cut off by the orchestra as well, I know this usually happens but it was so harsh this year. However, the entrance song by Neil Patrick Harris was amazing, Baldwin and Martin were hilarious (although I didn't understand the thing with Clooney) and Up won awards :D

I actually predicted all the best actor awards correctly. Anyone who says Bridges didn't deserve the best actor award obviously hasn't watched Crazy Heart. I'm glad that Precious got some attention, really deserves it.

I'm depressed that the hurt locker won so many awards, I felt it didn't deserve them.

I think the biggest shock of the ceremony though has to be when Avatar won best special effects :p

Also, Michael Giacchino's speech for winning best score (for Up) was nice and short and really awesome. Yay.

Overall it was predictable (apart from that Kanye-esque moment, seriously wtf?) but it had some cool moments (apart from the bloody dancing).