What's new

Orlando| I-Drive 360 | Merlin Entertainment Complex

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster
Martyn B said:
Only just seen this. How very imaginative of you Merlin.

They keep going about being second only to Disney, yet they can never come up anything even remotely interesting.

They might be second only to Disney but they are a truly shocking and disgraceful company who have added nothing to the industry except additional charges and feelings of being underwhelmed.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I'd like to see a Dungeon attraction open as part of the complex.
So far it just seems to be a Madame Tussauds, SeaLife, 4D movie, and the Wheel. There had been word of a Legoland Discovery Center but I doubt they'd wanna take away from Legoland park itself.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I too would love to see an American take on the Dungeons brand, I wonder what they'd include?

marc

CF Legend
I'm also interested to see how this does. If they bring out an all in one ticket with Lego land it might do ok.

The wheel will show **** all apart from the road and building for me it's a waste of time.

Sea world is just up the road I see no point in the sea life part.

The rest is the same **** we get in London.

It's hard enough to get round Orlando in 14 days I probably won't bother, it's just nothing new for us.

This is clearly for Europeans and people who have no merlin attractions near them.

It's a good move from them but for me no.

peep

CF Legend
^Personally I think this will be aimed at local Floridians rather than tourists from abroad. I don't see the point in any of it but I can imagine the Tussauds will bring in the same crowd that Ripleys attracts.

It's pointless but they will probably do ok, well enough to keep going anyway.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Merlin's logic is if you provide several attractions together with a combi-ticket, people will come to them over independent competition.

Makes sense, but in Orlando? Who's the competition? Is there a Wonderworks or Ripley's? Those are the kind of things a Merlin cluster can challenge.

Lofty

CF Legend
You also have that Titanic thing, CSI, Fun Spot (the **** one). This is definitely a worthy business move.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
And Magical Midway (home of the +300 Sling Shot and a Star Flyer) and "coming soon" that +500 foot Polar Coaster thing. I drive also has a few go-kart places, like 15 Mini-Golf/PuttPutts, Wet-N-Wild waterpark, and Coco Key waterpark hotel.

Lofty

CF Legend
The thing I-Drive is really missing is a nightlife area. Sure, you have a few bars and one nightclub, but it REALLY needs a good club or two.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I think there is gonna be a club within the SkyWheel complex. Right next door is a KINGS, while not a club-club it is a 'lounge' style bowling place (much like Lucky Strikes or Splitsville) http://kingsbowlamerica.com/orlando/

There are / were some clubs on the backside of I-Drive (Uni Blvd) but I've never been. Downtown Orlando has a few but that's obviously not designed for the tourists. And do most people on vacation wanna go to a club? The few I've visited within CityWalk at USF have always been empty and Disney shut up almost all of theirs but House of Blues (still open at Downtown Disney), Atlantic Dance, and Jellyrolls (both at Boardwalk)

Lofty

CF Legend
^ That's the thing though, the ones at Universal are somewhat out of the way, and aren't exactly clubs. They're more themed bars: latin, blues, etc. If one was accessible on I-Drive, right in the heart of the action, it would do pretty well.

I know one was planned with this area, it was in the original application but has since somewhat diminished from all mentions. Also, **** going to downtown Orlando. I've done it once, never again :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Yeah ago there were loads on I drive and down town Disney.

Most shut down as people don't really go out at night and there was a lot of problems.

So I have a feeling this is why none are really being opened there now.

I-Drive is very different to how it was 15 years ago.

Lofty

CF Legend
Star Flyers are the most terrifying things ever. I **** hate them.

Got to admit, I do love how Merlin have just spited that little Fun Spot place though. Ha.