Votes: 7 63.6%
  • The new layout is better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
I've always wondered this ever since they've modified the ~270° turn due to both overly intense blackouts and wheel melting, but never found too many opinions about it so I thought I'd ask here...

How does the original I305 track compare to the currently modified track? Has it improved or weakened the experience of that part of the ride? How does it "ride" compared to its original state? Or has the modification not really affected the enjoyability of the experience at all?

Regardless of how it rides or even if the change was necessary, personally I think the raised turn has made the layout less visually appealing.

:(

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Its not really a change in layout, more just a change in intensity and whether or not it has trims. Of course, no trims is better than trims, but either way, i305 is still a freakin amazin roller coaster.

Hutch

Strata Poster
There actually was a slight modification in the layout during the 2010-11 offseason. The first turn started ascending upward into the hill much earlier, to make greying/blacking out less likely.

Original layout:
4555572809_fdd4fa7bb7.jpg

After the modification:
Intimidator_305_ride_as_seen_from_Eiffel_Tower.jpg

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
CPSFMMCW said:
...trims is better than no trims...
I have to disagree. The lift hill drop was terrible when they moved the trims off of the second to last hill onto it and the second to last hill gave an amazing pop of airtime without those trims.
Sanchezmran said:
There actually was a slight modification in the layout during the 2010-11 offseason. The first turn started ascending upward into the hill much earlier, to make greying/blacking out less likely.
The track modification wasn't to "make greying/blacking out less likely". It was to reduce the amount of friction on the wheels, which was causing them to melt. The "greying/blacking out" still occurs and if they wanted to do something about that they would have.
Back on topic - the first half of the circuit was better without the modification and the second half was better with the trims moved to the lift hill drop. I spoke with the park manager about this at the time and asked if there was anyway they would consider moving the trims to the last hill* after the track modification, as that would make it a perfect "enthusiast" coaster. He told me that they were already considering doing that, but they put them back on the second to last hill again and killed the airtime. What could have been the best layout didn't happen, but I preferred the old to the new. So I'm glad I got to ride the coaster so many times that first month and a half, but the cost of replacing the wheels every couple of weeks was not an option and the track modification was necessary.
*The trims are needed toward the end of the circuit because of the speed the train would otherwise carry into the final twisty section.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Already trying to retain your Spammer of the Year crown? :p

Hutch

Strata Poster
ECG said:
Sanchezmran said:
The track modification wasn't to "make greying/blacking out less likely". It was to reduce the amount of friction on the wheels, which was causing them to melt. The "greying/blacking out" still occurs and if they wanted to do something about that they would have.
Forgot about the detail of the wheels melting. Though I thought part of the reason of the modification was because of reports of riders blacking out on the first turn, along with the melting of the wheels. I know some people still grey out, I just thought now it's less likely.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Sanchezmran said:
ECG said:
Sanchezmran said:
Forgot about the detail of the wheels melting. Though I thought part of the reason of the modification was because of reports of riders blacking out on the first turn, along with the melting of the wheels. I know some people still grey out, I just thought now it's less likely.
Everyone greys out. At least most. KD is my home park and I've ridden it dozens of times and I still grey out every time. Its just that crazy of a ride.