What's new

Opinions on The Smiler from alton towers?

ACID REFLUX

Roller Poster
I've been getting into rollercoasters and so far the smiler's my favorite from all it's backstory and overall feel, how about you guys

Esther7

Roller Poster
I rode it for the first time about 2 months ago, and I liked it more than I expected. I thought it was going to be painful and it was actually pretty mild for me. 😅
But I especially liked it because of the whole concept, theming, music... everything was very crazy.

JackFish

Mega Poster
I rode it for the first time about 2 months ago, and I liked it more than I expected. I thought it was going to be painful and it was actually pretty mild for me. 😅
But I especially liked it because of the whole concept, theming, music... everything was very crazy.
I liked it, but I wish it was a little shorter and didn't have that Gerst rattle.

Peet

Giga Poster
It's pretty under-rated in my opinion. Sure it's rough in places, has bad restraints, terrible queue line, and of course that unforgivable safety record. But I think it a brilliant looking ride, very long, lots of fun parts, and I absolutely love the duelling aspect both on and off ride.

I'm really quite fond of The Smiler. My favourite moments were probably the back-to-back dive loops and the first inversion out of the station. However I didn't think much of the airtime hills and found the cobra roll and last couple corkscrews to be a little jarring. Still a very good ride though, and the theme is one of the most unique and captivating out there. Just wish it had lapbars, the newer Infinity trains would do wonders for this ride.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
It's my favourite roller coaster in England. Very good fun. Almost said "in the UK" but Megafobia clears!
WTF? It's not even the best coaster in the park. Not even third best!

The theme is absolutely brilliant. The ride is okay for the first few goes until you realise it's an uncomfortable, headbanging, rattly pile of crap. It also has an offensively long queue all the time due to the GP thinking it's so great. Definitely not worth the wait. I do like the airtime hills but in general it goes further and further down my rankings every time I ride it, so I just don't bother most of the time.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
I actually found Wicker Man more uncomfortable than The Smiler. That thing beat me up, whereas with The Smiler I'm always so dizzy and happy I can barely remember who or where I am. It's a really great coaster that has the most appropriate name and themeing ever. I also think it's the best coaster at Towers.

I didn't want to ever admit that. I used to be as guilty as any other UK enthusiast of putting Nemesis up on that eternal, golden pedestal. I'll never forget those early rides on Nemesis where it just blew my mind, or Oblivion where I'd lose my breath in the tunnel. Both coasters are still great fun, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy The Smiler more now.

The 90s B&Ms have that warm, nostalgic and fun charm to them... kind of like the wooden coasters in Blackpool. 30 years down the line, are they still that thrilling? Do they still have the same effect? For me, sadly, no. Whereas I'm very much still in that place with The Smiler where it just messes me up, every single time. It's pure chaos, and that's what I love in a coaster.

*runs for cover*

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
I like it. It's interesting how it's meant to symbolise two halves of this weird process to convert you, and how it's a UK coaster that isn't extremely short. However, a lot of the elements blend together. The best part is the two Dive Loops in a row, and the worst is the entire end section from the Cobra Roll (specifically, the horrible transition out of the second inversion) and the double corkscrew at the end.