What's new

"Ooo, I was one of the first to ride it!"

Being the first to ride a a new ride...

• Yes, it is important to me. I like to be first.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it makes me a superiour enthusiast.

• Nah, I'll ride it on opening day but won't rush to it.

• Nope. It's just a ride and it'll be there tomorrow.

• Total voters

Martyn B

CF Legend
For example, I got the chance to ride Terminator before the public. It was a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, no matter what the ride is.

How would that experience differ from riding it when its open to the public though? :?

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I like the idea of being able to say, years down the line "I was one of the first people to ride that". Or, in Corkscrews case, being one of the last..

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
For example, I got the chance to ride Terminator before the public. It was a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, no matter what the ride is.

How would that experience differ from riding it when its open to the public though? :?

The GP wasn't there...

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Nah,being one of the first,doesn't really bother me all that much,it's not often I get to a parks opening day anyways.

I do like to make sure I get to ride in it's first year though,as long as it's in the U.K of course.

And going as far as paying for the first ride......absolutely never.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Being the first to ride something new means nothing to me. As long as I get to ride the damn thing that's all that matters - even if I'm the 1000th rider! :p

marc

CF Legend
I am not bothered anymore tbh.

The whole thing with Saw really put me off, that was the one and only time I had the chance to ride a coaster before the public. I ended up being one of the last person from CF to ride it lol.

I rode Air and Nemesis in their 1st year, but I was going to Alton anyway.

With Rita it was a few years old before I rode it.

With CF we tend to go on opening day so I will end up riding them when they open, but if it was not for CF it would be as and when.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I don't fell the need to be the first or even riding on opening day, but I do like to ride sometime during the year a new coaster opens. I'm really glad that I missed Fahrenheit's opening day & went the next day. Just ask CP6 why. :p

jayjay

Giga Poster
Being the first on a ride just means I ride it earlier. I'd rather leave it a few days for the "OMG opening day!!!11" hype to die so I queued less. The only reason I'm doing Thirteen on opening day is because CF put the Alton live on that day.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tricky one for me this :lol:

The basic answer is "no, I'm not 12".

The complicated answer?

Well, last year I was invited to the Saw "enthusiast preview day" with CF. I managed to wangle myself to it on business. Why? It's nice to get an invite and a preview to a new ride. We're coaster enthusiasts, and as such, we all get excited by new rides and certainly the opportunity to have a go on a new one.

However. I'd not have gone if I couldn't wangle it. I wouldn't have gone if it was going to cost (like the AP preview day following or the 13 weekend). I don't care that much. Again; like Jayjay, even being close to Alton, I'd not bother doing 13 on opening day. It's just because it's a good one for the Live I'm going. I'd wait until later in the season usually (maybe a weekday trip).

Being a complete bastard though, I'd happily rub it in the faces of those who DO care. I don't care if you licked John Wardley's nipples sitting next to him on the first ever run of Nemesis. "Boastfulness" is something I dislike generally and it winds me up. I like to wind up people who take these things seriously though and who love to be boastful. So yeah - if I was "first on a ride", I'd only mention it if somebody was going on about how great being first on whatever was - just to rub it in :)

It's unlikely to happen though, as I just don't care.

For the record I was the first person to take photos on CF with Rita in the Alton car park - not pigging tks ;) :p :lol:

(oh, and I didn't touch the track myself, it's just metal)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I'm only going to the preview weekend for Thirteen for the backstage stuff...

It entirely depends on the ride, if the chance came along, then yes I would, I think anyone would... I agree with most of furie's points, if someone was a serious ride fan and I got on the ride before them and they were seriously upset about it, of course I would laugh and mock them...

In fact I have a plan to do such a thing for Chessie's opening day with Vampire at 10... ;)

On a similar note, I was on the 50'000th launch of Rita... Which ended up as a kind of 'Oh really? Whatever'... Maybe cos it was Rita... :lol:

A

Anonymous

To tell the truth i'd rather be the last ever than the first ever to ride any rollercoaster, because i was on the last ever car of magnum force at Flamingoland, my biggest achievement and bragging right.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
The only reason I'm interested in that sort of thing is that it usually comes with making friends & connections in the industry (and also a lot of rides!). I enjoyed Goliath's media day because I was able to make some friends with SF people and meet Mr. Bolliger. I was in the 2nd train out, but that's never the thing that I remember that day for. The connections are more interesting than getting early rides on stuff. I like to meet people.

Of course, on the more shallow end, 36 rides in a day was pretty cool. It's nice to be able to have no-wait rerides just for sake of enjoying a good coaster.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
It's not just a ride but I like to go there a little later. The next year is usually ok.
By that time the bugs are worked out and maybe the line is a little shorter.