What's new

On-ride POVs audio

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Streaming down the comment section on Youtube coaster POVs, I occasionally see people complaining about "obnoxious screaming or comments" or wishing that they could hear the "natural sound" of the ride. What do you think of it ?

I can really see both ways for that matter. I really appreciate hearing the natural sound of a coaster, like the noise a LIM launch makes or the infamous "fart" of the Intamin prefab's airtime hills. I also dislike screams and reactions in videos that seem too theatrical and exaggerated. However, I enjoy hearing people's genuine reactions to the different elements of the ride as well, especially with a standout element like a big airtime hill or swift direction change. Some screaming, as long as it isn't too loud, feel part of the roller coaster experience imo, while a video with no human sound can feel too... robotic.

One thing for sure I do not like 99% of the time is having a music convering the coaster/rider sound instead!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
@ECG will be best to speak to this: it's important to appreciate how difficult recording audio can be for rides. While the roller coaster operational noises are natural, so are the screams, anecdotal conversation on the lift hill by riders, etc. For some CF videos, ECG has recorded a separate audio track to drown out "rider noise"; so much of it can be left to chance.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The more screaming the better <3 I hate the running commentary you can get sometimes though, where the list of elements are just reeled off. I don't mind if it feels natural like if you go over a hill and cry out "whoa airtime!" out of surprise - that's good.

Some fun ones that I can remember:
@1:15
Also the "I love goliath" @0:08

The dolphin @0:04

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I prefer recording POVs with rider reactions, such as screaming and laughter or natural comments like some kid yelling: "That was awesome!" I don't like running commentary, which is why you'll never hear me saying anything in the POVs I film. However, I'm often only allowed to film before the parks open to the public and while some people like the audio of a riderless train, I don't. So after filming before the park opens I will occasionally go back and ride the coaster again after the park opens to record the audio. I then mix that recorded rider audio track with the riderless video to give the illusion that there were people on the coaster when it was filmed.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I don't really care whether you hear the ride well or not because it will never be as satisfying as standing next to the ride in person. The noise of the wind is too loud in most videos anyway. But I do dislike it when people talk on POVs or start calling out the elements (Thanks Robb Alvey, but I do recognize a Helix when I see one.) I also don't like childish or unnatural screaming. But I don't mind if people scream or make sounds of joy on drops, airtime moments or inversions etc. like the points where it's actually intense/fun.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I don't mind a bit of screaming on a ride POV, really at all. A few comments or yelps here and there can help me realize where the ride's good or bad spots are. However, not to call a certain channel out, but when someone narrates a ride and continues talking loudly into the camera, it irritates me a lot. I usually mute videos like that. I really hate any talking at all on Disney or Universal rides where narration or music is a large factor. People talking on those POVs make them truly unwatchable for me. I watch mainly Coasterforce videos when it comes to coasters. TPR is good when watching POVs for more obscure coasters (especially Asian coasters). For Disney ride videos, I love SoCalAttractions360. He has these low light cameras that are just unbelievable. The amount of detail you can see, wow.

Sythe

Mega Poster
Robb Alvey's screaming always annoys me. It reminds me that I'm watching a TPR video and I always feel bad about myself for it (I hate TPR)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk