What's new

Oakwood Updates

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Lofty said:
The only 'Oakwood Update' I'll be looking forward to seeing is the "The park is closing down".
I'd settle for "The park is finally getting its act together". I quite like the park itself, but it really needs to be run properly. That said, there's no sign of that happening any time soon. I'm quite glad I've already got the cred, so I don't have to drag myself all the way back down there for a +1.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nathanisbeast said:
Wasn't it going to be a indoor coaster
I thought that, too. But as soon as you start thinking about walls, holes or anything else like that, you have to think of the budget. Seeing as they bought a second hand Pinfari, I don't think they're rolling in cash.

I would love Oakwood to get its act together. The park is actually quite good, as is the ride selection, but it's let down by their operations. It was one of the first parks I visited when my enthusiasm was growing so, sentimentally, I quite like it. It's such a fall from grace once having a classy woodie and one of the UK's Eurofighters to installing a second hand Pinfari. It's like watching a grandparent developing dementia.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
So was this coaster the 'Major Investment' that was on the right side of the park map, or do we think there is something else coming? Depressing stuff if this was it!

Nathanisbeast

Roller Poster
I have found some info about the new area. The 'James and the Giant Peach' area is just the beginning of 'Dahland' with the logo on their new leaflet with a fox, chocolate, peach and a witch hat included on the logo which hints to more attractions in the future? The rides and attractions are 'Flight of the giant peach' which is the coaster, 'Ladybirdoline' which are trampolines so that's what the holes are for in the above pictures, 'Gobblefunk Wall' where people can write their Dahl inspired words on, 'The Magnifitorium' which is a seating and performance space which has already opened and 'Aunt Spiker & Sponge's house which I'm not sure what it is yet. The area will be opened in sections with the 'Ladybirdoline' and the 'Gobblefunk Wall' attractions hopefully opening next week and 'Flight of the Giant Peach' and 'Aunt Spiker & Sponge's house' opening before the end of the year. Also the theming company is the same who did the theming of neverland too.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
"Dahland"? I hope they'll get a track shooter themed to The BFG. It'd fit perfectly.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
It doesn't seem like Oakwood has the financial standing to do a whole themed area with multiple attractions properly, but we'll see.

Nathanisbeast

Roller Poster
Pokemaniac said:
"Dahland"? I hope they'll get a track shooter themed to The BFG. It'd fit perfectly.
I did have a the new leaflet with the information on the area I think I might of lost it. Strangely there was a yellow taxi by the coaster which was odd. I do see spooky 3D closing at the end of the season it doesn't look right in the area in my opinion

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
It seems to me that they are concentrating on kids attractions and re-doing each section of the park when they can. From what I've seen Neverland does actually look great (minus the logflume indoor section) and people are saying the new area is very nice too. It's been a struggle for Oakwood over the past few years, after being bought out by a company that doesn't seem to care and having incompetent management, it has been tough on the park and it showed in its general maintenance. But the new MD does seem to care a lot about the park.

I do believe they have turned a corner though and things are slowly but surely looking up for the park.
Unfortunately for us guys there wont be any new big rides for a few years, as I'm pretty sure they are strapped for cash, and since Brexit they wont be receiving any funding from the Welsh Tourist Board which was partially funded by the EU.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
"The rides and attractions are 'Flight of the giant peach' which is the coaster"

Excuse me while I jump out of the flippin' window..

----------
"It seems to me that they are concentrating on kids attractions "

Poor kids - even the naughtiest ones don't deserve such a terrible coaster!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Apparently, it's not going to be enclosed, but it is going to have a massive facade around it so you practically can't see it... :?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
caffeine_demon said:
"The rides and attractions are 'Flight of the giant peach' which is the coaster"

Luckily, there already exists an off-the-shelf coaster type themed to oversized fruit. Not exactly giant peaches, but more like... Great Pear? No... Huge Orange? Grand Banana? Something along those lines. It's apparently a very popular ride type (judging by the number of them built), which will probably fit perfectly into Oakwood's current philosophy. They're kind of standing at the edge of the cliff at the moment, but a Humongous Lemon(?) coaster will probably be a great leap forward.

supersion

Mega Poster
Apologies for the big post in advance :p

Well as we all know, Oakwood has had quite a bumpy ride when it comes to it's management and investment.
However, it seems like this year will be the opening of the new area called 'Dahl Land'.
Oakwood are in the process of updating their website, but already some details have been released regarding the new attractions.

This was the description for Dahl Land :
Inspired by the works of Roald Dahl, one of the world’s most loved and cherished authors, our newest themed area is Dahland. We’ve started the area with the story of James and the Giant Peach. Keep an eye on our website and Social Media channels for more updates as this area continues to grow!

So it seems James And The Giant Peach is Just the beginning of this area, and bearing in mind Roald Dahl has written many well known story books, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, BFG & Fantastic Mr Fox just to name a few, I think this could be something rather good for Oakwood. Having being born in Wales also, keeps the connection with it being Wales only real Theme Park.

Descriptions have gone up about the latest attractions in Dahl Land, Which as follows :

The Ladybirdoline - Hop on The Ladybirdoline, and bounce the day away on your very own trampoline. Our giant ladybird is just waiting for you to bounce on by!

Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker’s House - Enter through our giant peach into the dark world of Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. This walk through attraction also provides the entrance to Flight of the Giant Peach, however there is a separate exit for those not wanting to ride. Look out for some popular characters as you pass through the house!

Flight of the Giant Peach - Climb aboard our oversized Ladybird or Grasshopper trains, and take to the skies on a journey from Dover, England to New York, America. It’ll be fast, twisty and bumpy along the way, so hold on tight and watch the world pass by!

The Magnifitorium - Head on down to The Magnifitorium located downtown in New York for live shows, character appearances and performances! The schedule changes daily, so keep an eye out for information boards in the park or on our Social Media channels for more information!

They've also seem to have more upcoming events this year around with :

- EasterEggstravaganza
- Explore Neverland
- After Dark
- Spooktacular
- Spooktacular Bites Back
- Firework Spectacular

Could this hopefully be a clean start for Oakwood? I understand it has some new Management put in place, and they've also said on their Facebook page
that they are improving the way that they deal with their guests via social networks ect.

It'll certainly be interesting to see how this goes, and good to see some pictures hopefully soon from them regarding the new area!

I previously slated Aspro For the decision of doing James and The Giant Peach, but I've totally changed my stance on that, and think this could be a step in the right direction for Oakwood.

Lofty

CF Legend
Unless they severely invest in the park's infrastructure and get something worth staying there longer than a couple of hours, it won't change a thing.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Positive news that they're going with a well lived IP. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall when the park pitched the idea to the people who own the Dhal rights.​

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I love Aunt Sponge & Aunt Spiker in the live action film.
New pics of the area
PhDf54R.png
Looks almost finished!

Last edited: