What's new

Oakwood, 4th Nov - last day of 2012 season

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've not been to Oakwood for years. It's too far and a pain in the arse to get to. When Darren B posted about a trip in the Trip Planning forum offering a journey with no fuel costs, I jumped at the chance. Besides, I wanted to get 3D videos of the coasters and some HD footage of Waterfall and Bobsleigh for the CF YT channel.

We arrived at the park 15min before opening and were the only car in the car park. 5mins before opening, another car turned up with three people in it. I didn't get a photo of them but I recognise them; I swear I've seen them at a park before.

Not wanting to be at the back of the enormous queue for tickets, we went to the entrance.
oakwoodtr01.JPG

As soon as we entered the park and walked under the welcome sign, it started to rain. And I mean it pissed it down. Wales in November, what did I expect?!
oakwoodtr02.JPG

First stop was Megafobia.
oakwoodtr03.JPG

We had the park to ourselves so we sat in the front row.
oakwoodtr04.JPG

A few kids sat in the back seats and we were off! Despite the rain making it feel like somebody was shooting a stapler in my face at close range, my fond memories of Megafobia came flooding back. Megafobia may not be as fierce as some modern day woodies (such as Troy <3 at Toverland) but it's immense fun. Lovely amount of airtime, superbly paced and not rough at all. It's a cheerful ride that leaves me feeling warm inside afterwards. Love it!

We rode it several times in a row, changing seats when we could until we decided to move on to Speed.
oakwoodtr05.JPG

oakwoodtr06.JPG

oakwoodtr07.JPG

The lift hill was certainly an experience in the rain. The rest of the of the ride was painful thanks to the usual Gertalauer roughness coupled with rain. The rides saving grace is the heart line roll. I love the way it perfectly positioned so riders can see it it on approach. I even like the trim before it because it takes out some of the pain and gives feeling to the inversion.

Bounce, the shot and drop tower, was next.
oakwoodtr08.JPG

The seat was wet. The "shot" part of the ride was good fun but the drop was quite tame and controlled imo. The day before Darren and I rode Sky Diver at Brean which was several times better. The polite ride op offered us a second go without getting off, we accepted and went through the motions again.

On the way out, I noticed a phallic "totem" carving of Bounce. I thought it was pretty cool!
oakwoodtr09.JPG

Out of Bounce's exit and straight into Treetop Coaster's entrance!
oakwoodtr09a.JPG

Darren took front seat, I took the back. At this point, the people from the other car (who I think I recognised) jumped on near the front. It's been years since I rode Treetops. The trees have grown a little more so it feels enclosed, which adds to the excitement of it. The first drop is quite intense (I shifted across the seat) but the rest of the ride is quite average. Unusually for a Tivoli coaster there was a lack of vibrating bottomness. After THREE circuits, we finally got off.

It was still chucking down with rain so we stopped for a longish coffee break.
oakwoodtr20.JPG

Feeling a bit disheartened by the continuous rain, we decided to head to the car for a spare change of clothes, do the water rides and then go home early.

On the way back to the car, Darren did the Bobsleigh. After the Boblseigh...
oakwoodtr16.JPG

...and we took a quick detour through Oakwood's only properly themed area, Wild West.
oakwoodtr10.JPG

The only dry area in the park!
oakwoodtr15.JPG

The Brer Rabbit Ride is in this area and it's inside. I needed photos for the guide so we went on it.
oakwoodtr11.JPG

The ride op was brilliant. He was chatty without being burdenous and incredibly polite - it's not often I get called "Sir"! He even slowed down the train so I could take photos of the different scenes. It's a kids ride with enough humour to keep adults entertained. It was also dry!!
oakwoodtr12.JPG

oakwoodtr13.JPG

oakwoodtr14.JPG

When we exited the ride, THE RAIN HAD STOPPED!

Like a man on a mission, this was my opportunity to film the coasters and take photos for the guide. We made a beeline for Megafobia.

We had to wait two trains for the front seat (there were plenty of free seats we could have gone on). In front of us waiting for the front seat were the people from the other car. It was at this point that I started to talk to them. I am totally convinced that they are enthusiasts. I've seen them at theme parks before, particularly on opening days of new rollercoasters. They were very distinctive in appearance (if I describe them, I might come across as being rude) but if I see them again, I will approach them. Nice people and definitely enthusiasts. Eventually we got on front seat :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbgd6Ggk7hw[/youtube]

The ride op asked us if we were "the guys from CoasterForce". Yes. Yes we were. The ride op complimented the site and I felt embarrassed to be recognised and humbled at the same time.

We marched over to Speed, where there were several people sitting on the back row. Darren and I took front row centre and captured a 3D POV of the ride. Our second ride of the day and it's still too jolty to really love as the wobbly POV demonstrates.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBrGGy27W-I[/youtube]

Having to the main two POVs in the bag, as it was still dry albeit overcast, we headed to the Bobleigh, Oakwood's oldest ride, where I captured a bonus POV with a near fail at 0:33. This ride was running very fast with a wet track!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1d4imwYgp0[/youtube]

We headed to the kids area called Play Town. Thankfully we didn't feel too Savilish because the only person in this area was a ride op who was operating all rides on a "what do you want to ride" basis. Darren rode the scary Clown Coaster for the cred, I abstained.
oakwoodtr16a.JPG

We opted to skip the RCCGB endorsed and suggested ride, Plane Crazy, although the X-Ray board was a nice touch.
oakwoodtr17.JPG

oakwoodtr18.JPG

Ignoring the pirate ship, Snake River Falls and boating lake, we headed to Waterfall, the most terrifying world in the ride.
oakwoodtr19.JPG

We rode Waterfall on our own so the other could look after our wallets and phone. As it was a cold, damp day in November, the water at the bottom was nearly freezing. Although we had spare clothes, we didn't want to fall in. The feeling of anxiety at the top of the slide is beautifully (perversely?) intense. My teeth were gritted as I slid down the ramp and bounced over the water. Thankfully I didn't do a Bazpa and got off dry.

Darren rode it twice. The first time he rode it successfully. On the second ride he deliberately fell in so the video would have two POV/offride shots - one successful one and one falling in. Yes, I know it's cheating but you can't deny that the footage is great! It's also the first ever POV footage of waterfall I've seen!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfg_V519pLU[/youtube]

It was now 1:30pm and there was only one ride left to do - Hydro...or "Drenched" if you'd prefer.
oakwoodtr22.JPG

I sat out but Darren wanted to do it. With the camera strapped on, he headed to the entrance for the 2pm opening. The ride only opens in the afternoon.

Whilst I was waiting for Darren, I took a few photos for the guide and noticed a white bench amongst the brown ones.
oakwoodtr23.JPG

On closer inspection, the plaque made me feel quite sombre.
oakwoodtr24.JPG

Rain started to lash down once gain. Really lash down. The drops physically hurt.
oakwoodtr21.JPG

Darren returned after 20mins - due to lack of people, the ride wouldn't run until 3pm. They need half of the 24 seats filled before they'll set it off. We used this time to enjoy another cuppa in the cafe, as did the rest of the park's clientèle. The group from the other car (the "recognised enthusiasts") were in the gift shop ;)

At 3pm, we headed back to the ride and I waited by the exit. Darren sulked back after 10mins - the restraint wouldn't close down on him so he couldn't ride. In the meantime, the one and only - the very last Drenched boat of the 2012 season - went ahead.
1drenchedf.JPG

oakwoodtr25.JPG

I wanted a POV of Drenched, so I bit the bullet and decided to ride it myself. I waited and waited. Despite the best efforts from the ride staff to encourage the 20 or so guests left in the park, they could not half fill another boat, therefore Drench did not run again.

Whilst I was waiting in Drenched's station, the rain became heavier; it was deafening in on the roof. I eventually left the station and met up with Darren - who had changed into dry, warm clothes - and we headed back to the car for the long, arduous drive home.

Oakwood is a fascinating park. You won't find this ride line up anywhere else in the world. I'm glad it's not close enough to me to justify repetitive visits, but I wish it was so I could ride Megafobia, Bobsleigh, Speed's heartline roll and Waterfall more often than I do. Then again, with Oakwood being out on a limb, every trip is special and rewarding. Thanks for reading.

peep

CF Legend
Why did I not know Oakwood had a clown cred. Why did no one shove me on it at the live back in whatever year I went? Gah!

Sounds like you had a rather nice but soggy day. Yay for more 3D POVs.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Yep! I don't waste time on Pirate Ships. I've done before so i don't need to do another one ever again. My stomach can't handle them either.

Plane Crazy is crap.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Great report. I do like Oakwood but, as with this trip, the rain has put a dampener on it both times (pun intended).

The near fail on Bobsleigh was awesome - props to Darren for the falling in on Waterfall too haha!

I know its a nice touch from Oakwood with the bench but why do peoples deaths always get marked with a bench?

marc

CF Legend
We have one at work as someone died. Your meant to sit on the bench and take time out to remember their life.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Jesus.... falling into that frezzing cold water on a cold Novembers day on PURPOSE! You're insane Darren!

I love Oakwood. It rained when we visited too, but that only made the experience better IMO. Firstly, like you say, Bobsleigh in the rain is pretty hairy, and secondly, the night rides on Megafobia in the rain were incredible.

I really, really want to go back, but I just can't be arsed. It's less effort to get to Parc Asterix than Oakwood!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That's the problem with Oakwood - it's a PITA to get to. It's too far out of the way. Although that's a blessing in disguise. People make the effort to visit so the atmosphere at the park is usually buzzing. If certain members of society (chavs) could visit on a regular basis, it would be destroyed and unpleasant.

Thanks for the comments so far!

sparky2u

Mega Poster
I really like "Oakwood" as well, it's a 4 hour drive from where I live in Hampshire so don't get to visit it that much.

Great to hear "Fobia" running so well as it is 1 of my fav "woodies", did it feel faster in the rain.. I visited the park back in 2008 with the "ECC", we got a very personal tour of "Fobia" & took the below pic's:

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

1st Drop does not look very high from this view:

DSC00095.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Great report Ian. I think I've been once when Oakwood was sunny and it doesn't make the park worse ;)

Loved the POVs and the Waterfall POV almost gives you an idea of how scary it actually is. I also love that they're so accommodating and friendly towards enthusiast groups, they know that they have a park people love and want to encourage getting the word spread.

I think that one of the main issues isn't just how far it is (head to Cardiff (which isn't too far) and then follow the third star on the right and sail on until dawn or something I think the directions are), but also that there isn't a massive amount to do in the area on top of the park as well. Okay, there's Ploddish, but beyond that, nothing. Actually, there's a Shire Horse centre in Newquay about 45 minutes even farther on that has a secret kiddie cred, but it really is for kids. It was a little better when Groveland was there (with the shopping trolly coaster of epicness) and it's a nice area for a family holiday, but yeah, there's just nothing else...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I loved Oakwood when I went. Such a great little park.

Even if they don't use it that often, they NEED another boat for Drenched. Or at least speed up the loading. When I was there in the height of summer, they where still taking about 5-10mins between boats!

Megafobia at night was amazing though! Managed to get front row as well. :)

Kebab

Giga Poster
Love that Waterfall video! Really had a sense of riding it on those POVs, especially the second 'fail' POV, brilliant. Megafobia looked like great fun too!

Can't beat a good old British rainy day at a Theme Park!

Colossus

Giga Poster
Fab report Ian, I love Oakwood, the only thing that worry`s me is how park opens on ridiculously quiet days, your day sounds almost exactly the same as mine back in May, really quiet, everything was walk-on. I don`t know how profitable it is to operate the park on days like ours? I understand they could be busy in the summer time and even weekends, but on a Monday in May and the 4th of November, I question whether the park should even be open.
I spoke to a full time park employee when I went about this and he said he was worried about the way the park is run?

Anyway great report, that Waterfall video was amaze, did you go on the disco waterslide?

Bobsleigh is literally my fave non cred ride :)