What's new

"Now Showing"

Coaster Cinema

Mega Poster
Ford vs. Ferrari: Top notch racing movie. Christian Bale is great as per usual. The production value was really high as it completely immersed the audience into the world of racing. I had a great time watching this movie, the entertainment value was superb.
Final Grade: A

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Saw Charlie's Angels last week.

Oh dear. It wasn't good. I can't put my finger on why (probably a **** script), but it fell very flat for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
Saw a few films last week. First was Le Mans '66 (aka Ford vs Ferrari). Really loved this, the race sequences are incredible, from the way it was shot, edited and the vfx - just great stuff all round. I really enjoyed the drama throughout too, the cast were great and the story never gets dull.

Last Christmas - I like the cast, I like the writer (Emma Thompson), I like the odd cheesy xmas flick and Paul Feig can occasionally direct something that isn't terrible. However this film was just bad. The cast do their best but they're fighting an uphill battle with a really awkward script. The George Michael songs are wedged in (I personally only like a very small handful of his tracks and only 2 of those made it into this film) and I didn't enjoy them. Even the titular song feels ever so slightly forced and awkward. The main story is obvious and is pretty cringe. Avoid.

Frozen II - I like the first film and this is certainly not as strong as that. The story is pretty good and the actual effects and animation work is incredible (as expected with Disney tbh). Songs are a bit hit and miss, certainly some stand out moments though. Found it to be very funny, Olaf is a joy. So I liked this sequel even if it wasn't as strong as the first. Might see it for a second time as the more I've thought about it the more I warm to it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Knives Out

Loved this. I'd heard nothing about it, but just went to the cinema to kill a few hours yesterday and it was on. It's sort of a throwback to the old Agatha Christie style murder-mystery thing in terms of the style/aesthetic (huge country house with a rich, dysfunctional family), but it's brought up to date and is very, very well done. The story is really good, the script is great, it looks lovely and the cast are excellent. Best thing I've seen for a while.

I also watched Ready or Not at some point last week. It was decent enough, but I didn't feel it offered anything new to be honest. It looked great to be fair (another big, old house with a dysfunctional family).

Murder on the Orient Express

It had soo much potential with the fantastic cast it had but I just thought it fell a bit flat. As a whole I enjoyed it but didn't love it and I probably wouldn't watch it again any time soon.

6.5/10

Klaus

Felt like watching something Christmassy and I heard a bit of chatter about this one. I loveddd the animation style and although the movie was quite predictable I found it very cute and heartwarming. The end tugged on my heart strings (and pregnancy hormones) and I bawled and had to excuse myself from the room ?

7.5/10

Snoo

The Legend
Knives Out

Loved this. I'd heard nothing about it, but just went to the cinema to kill a few hours yesterday and it was on. It's sort of a throwback to the old Agatha Christie style murder-mystery thing in terms of the style/aesthetic (huge country house with a rich, dysfunctional family), but it's brought up to date and is very, very well done. The story is really good, the script is great, it looks lovely and the cast are excellent. Best thing I've seen for a while.

This. I was planning on seeing it as well before I saw Gavins review on FB and then I had to see it and wasn't disappointed. Absolutely loved it. Might be my favorite film I've seen of the year.

This. I was planning on seeing it as well before I saw Gavins review on FB and then I had to see it and wasn't disappointed. Absolutely loved it. Might be my favorite film I've seen of the year.

I'm surprised at all these positive reviews! The trailer looked just okay and really didn't spark my interest at all. Now I'm thinking I might go see it this week.

Snoo

The Legend
I'm surprised at all these positive reviews! The trailer looked just okay and really didn't spark my interest at all. Now I'm thinking I might go see it this week.

Its all about what ya like. I'm sorta picky? The WhoDunIt Murder Mysteries are feast or famine really IMO so it's either AMAZING or meh. This falls in the former for me. <3

peep

CF Legend
Also saw Knives Out this weekend. I've been really looking forward to this as I love a good murder mystery and this really lived up to my expectations! The cast were great. The pacing of the film was much slower than I was expecting but it works really well and allows you to really get to know the characters as it develops. Loved it.

Also watched Klaus on Netflix. Totally agree with @LiveForTheLaunch it's predictable but the animation/style is beautiful and it really tugs on the heartstrings at the end. Lovely little film.

Watched a few series since I've been off work.

Atypical- I loved it, this is exactly the sort of series I enjoy watching. It's funny, doesn't have a complicated storyline and it's just generally light-hearted. It does downplay autism a bit as the main character is clearly very mildly autistic, but it still does a good job showcasing some of the struggles that autistic people go through. I hope they come out with another season! 8.5/10

The End of the F*cking World- I kept saying I didn't like it yet I continued to watch it. The main girl character irked me, the storylines were very far fetched and I found myself rolling my eyes more than once. That being said, some of the dark humour is funny and it kept me watching both seasons so it did something right. 7/10

Finding Dory- Cute... Not as good as the first but I was never a massive Nemo fan to begin with. 7/10

Another one... The Imagineering Story. I loved it! It was so informative and I liked how it touched upon the triumphs and tribulations of every Disney park (except Shanghai). It was pretty much like 4 hours long but I watched it all consecutively and didn't feel like it was tedious to sit through. Definitely recommend!

9/10

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Another one... The Imagineering Story. I loved it! It was so informative and I liked how it touched upon the triumphs and tribulations of every Disney park (except Shanghai). It was pretty much like 4 hours long but I watched it all consecutively and didn't feel like it was tedious to sit through. Definitely recommend!

9/10
I've only managed to get hold of the first 2 episodes so far, but really enjoyed them.

Saw Last Christmas last night. What a steaming turd of a movie. The performances were mostly decent enough, but the script was dire. F**king abysmal.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
Honey Boy - I don't know too much about Shia LaBeouf but this film that he wrote about his childhood was fascinating and heartbreaking. The performances by the cast were brilliant (including LaBeouf as his Dad). I liked the way the film flicks between the two parts of his life (11 yo and 21 yo - I think?), it never felt jarring and it was a good way to tell this story, seeing the affect and then the cause. It's wild to think a child star would live a life like this, go see this film if you can.

Gremlins - So glad I got to see this film on the big screen, it's one of my favs and I've never seen it at the cinema before. It was a 4DX showing which just added a whole new layer of absurdity to the film. The way the chairs moved about during the Flashdance moment in the bar might be one of the funniest cinema experiences of the year. The use of air blasts also made me jump way too much, this film was terrifying with effects. One moment I'd be jumping out of my skin and the next I'd be laughing like an idiot. Excellent stuff.

peep

CF Legend
Seen quite a few films since I last posted...

Jumanji: The Next Level - Love the previous film and this sequel does a great job of continuing the humour and joys from that while injecting some fun new things into the mix. Cast do an excellent job of portraying the 'real World' people that are playing their avatars, even Kevin Hart does an excellent job of impersonating Danny Glover. I liked how the film felt more like a video game where the locations change with each level. Overall not as strong as the previous outing but I had a good time watching it and the tease for another one doesn't annoy me.

Jojo Rabbit - LOVE THIS. Taika Waititi is one of my favourite directors at the moment, everything he touches is just excellent. This film is very funny but also really emotional, one scene in particular was a real gut-puncher. Will certainly be seeing it again when it fully releases on Wednesday.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Torn about this film and really the whole sequel trilogy. There's things that I absolutely love like the cinematography, cfx and vfx but the story hasn't been fantastic and this one feels incredibly rushed in every way. I'm planning to see it again as there's just so much to take in and I did enjoy watching it, however I do fear the online takes that I've been reading/watching may influence my enjoyment second time round.

Little Women - Really enjoyed this, I've never read the book(s) or seen the previous adaptations so didn't know much going in aside from what the trailer showed. The cast are just incredible (even Emma Watson!) and despite the long runtime this film never drags. The way it jumps around the timeline is neat, helps things flow really well and somehow makes it really easy to follow considering how much it jumps about. Really recommend seeing this one if you like a good drama.

Spies in Disguise - Went in thinking this would be a bit of a dud, I ended up having a great time! A very fun film with excellent animation and cg teams (Venice <3 ). It's very funny, the kids in my screening were laughing a lot at the more slapstick stuff but there's some great clever little gags in there for adults too. I really enjoyed the Bond references and so much of the film looks stunning.

James F

Hyper Poster

I have made a top 10 films of 2019 list on my film blog if anyone wants to read it. I hope this is not too shameless! I just don't want to copy and paste it all onto here.

davidm

Strata Poster
Just saw that 1917.

Awesome. Most impressive movie I think I've ever seen. I saw the trailer first a couple of months ago and kinda thought "meh", how wrong I was. Brilliant.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Just saw that 1917.

Awesome. Most impressive movie I think I've ever seen. I saw the trailer first a couple of months ago and kinda thought "meh", how wrong I was. Brilliant.

High praise indeed. Will defo be watching this, possibly tomorrow. Question though: is it brilliant purely on a technical level ie the one-shot thing, or is it brilliant at telling an engaging story? Or both? Or does one detract from the other? Ya get me? I mean, if you're continually asking yourself 'wow, how did they do that?', are you really paying attention to what's actually happening? Just curious. Your thoughts please...