What's new

"Now Showing"

Watched "It: Chapter 2"

I actually preferred it to the first a lot of people who I know disagree with. Enjoyable film overall but it does feel repetitive and it is too long at almost 3 hours.

7/10

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ad Astra

Pretentious and boring. That just about sums it up. But it's more fun to talk about it in detail. I'll try to avoid spoilers, but I can tell you right away that pretty much nothing happens in the end anyway, so I'm not sure how much there even is to spoil.

Anyway, we meet Brad Pitt either giving a completely emotionless performance or starring in a completely emotionless role. A bad exposition dump (complete with the hallmark line "as you know", which is always a telltale sign that the script writer just gave up at some point) tells us that he is a really super, great guy. So does every other character in this movie, by the way. Brad Pitt is the one that doesn't need to take drugs to stay focused on a long-haul spaceflight, he's the one who survives when others die in action scenes, he's the one who can land a spaceship better than the captain of said ship. And if something goes wrong, not only is Brad Pitt the only one who knows what to do, we're told whatever actions he takes are completely justified.

So yeah, spaceships. A lot of time is spent on them, and the visuals are great, but the writers really miss the mark when it comes to the physics of this sci-fi movie. Notable examples include a scene in zero G inside a spaceship during a launch, an echo-free chamber whose acoustics are compromised by a large glass window, lunar gravity only being a thing outdoors, antimatter being conjured out of nowhere, a large pool of water full of leaves on Mars, and a message being broadcast to Neptune with 30 seconds being considered a long wait for a reply (Neptune is almost three light-hours from Earth even when the planets are perfectly aligned). Oh, and Neptune's rings are apparently only a couple hundred meters thick. You can park a ship on one side of the rings, see another ship on the other side, and jump between them. Don't worry of you bump into a few rocks on the way, you're likely to land on the other ship at a greater speed than you jumped off with.

All right, bad science can still happen in a good movie (even Gravity is full of bull and I love that one), but in this case the movie would have been just as bad if it got all of it right. It's just the little details that add up to show they didn't really pay attention. In case that wasn't obvious from the actors' performances.

Yeah, this movie tries to be deep. Each line is delivered slowly in a low voice. As if everything said is profound and important. As if the words have a weight to them. As if the actors were given each line on a separate slip of paper and told to read them without emotion for a few takes before they went on to the next line, without ever being told in what context the lines were delivered. There is hardly a single scene with believable human interactions, no emotion ever shown. As a result, everybody seem bored out of their minds all the time, a perfect reflection of the viewers.

And the narration. God, the narration. Spoon-feeding viewers what they already saw on the screen two minutes ago. Brad Pitt's voiceover saying "I'm alone on a spaceship" right after a scene where we saw how he came to be alone on a spaceship. Saying "It ended in tragedy" right after showing said tragedy. Saying "I am calm" when he is calm. I presume this is done for the sake of viewers who are about to fall asleep in their chairs.

It all reminded me of another movie. Does anyone remember that Mr. Bean's Holiday movie from a few years ago? That one where he goes to the Cannes film festival, where they are showing that ludicrously pretentious and slow art film? Ad Astra is like that movie-within-a-movie. Slow, boring, self-indulgent and shallow. I rate films on a three-point scale, and I can safely say it's among the worst third of movies I've ever seen. 1/3.

peep

Staff member
Social Media Team
Hustlers - I enjoyed it, Constance Wu is great in the lead role. There's the occasional use of some interesting audio design which was neat.

The farewell - Really great, the entire cast is brilliant and I loved a lot of the dialogue exchanges. It felt like peering into a slice of this families' life and it was fascinating. It was funny, sad and heartwarming and I highly recommend everyone checks it out.

The Kitchen - It was fine, well made and the lead actors did a great job (always like seeing Melissa McCarthy in more serious roles). It got a bit tedious in the middle and it got really silly towards the end, to the point where I no longer cared about any of the characters. If you enjoy gangster films you'd probably get at least some enjoyment out of it but it's not perfect.

On Netflix I watched Between two ferns: The movie. I enjoyed this, some good chuckles throughout. The end credit gag reel was hilarious.

peep

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ready or not - I really liked this, a great idea played out perfectly. It was funny, gory and intense. I feel like they marketed this as a horror film but I feel like that's not quite right? Feels more like a thriller/comedy with a survival element to it. The cast were awesome and just help make it work.

Ad Astra - It looks nice, Brad Pitt is fantastic but the film really plods along it's quite long runtime. There's some interesting ideas in there that make you think but there's just too many moments where it just stagnates and just becomes boring.

Don't let go - This film has a really cool premise. Detective who is close to his neiece one day finds her and her parents murdered. A few days later she phones him from a few days before the murder. He uses this to work out who killed them and to stop it from happening. I thought it was done quite well and the mystery was quite good.

gavin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ad Astra last week. It's a technically "good" film, but I was really f**king bored by 20 minutes in and it didn't get any better

Joker

Absolutely brilliant. Just so, so f**king good.

Coaster Cinema

Joker: Another contender for best movie of the year. It seamlessly blends style with story. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing as Joker and really captured his random psychotic mindset!
Final Grade: A+

tomahawk

Staff member
Social Media Team
Joker

Really ****ing good, but not best of year. Booksmart has that locked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ready or Not:
Solid Horror/Comedy although the horror works better than the comedy. The film has a really fun not to serious but still bloody spooky vibe. While it might not be very orginal it is still entertaining throughout.

Light 8/10

Joker:
Wow. Loved this film. Not a huge fan of the directors work in the past (hangover, War Dogs) but this film he really steps up his craft. While people may say its too close to scorese, I belive its references were far away enough that the film never ligered on its references. The lead performance from Phoenix is outstanding. The writing, the cinematography, the cynical tone and taunting pace all make this one of the best films I have seen this year. I only have one very minor thing which bothered me a little, but that would be getting into spolier talk, which I won't do.

Strong 9/10

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

peep

Staff member
Social Media Team
Joker - Phoenix is incredible and it is shot quite nicely but I feel a bit torn by it? Like it's really good but maybe a bit overhyped? Can't quite put my finger on it yet, gonna mull it over a bit more.

As for best film of the year? No way.

gavin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Watched some crap over the weekend:

Child's Play

Yeah, the remake. I LOVED the original when I was a kid (the constant sequels were very hit and miss), so thought I'd try it. I started off hating it, but changed my mind as it went on. I liked that they changed the reason for the doll going apes**t to something more "realistic" (technology over demonic possession), but that meant that there was also a bit of a forced message to it. I also liked how this change leads you to feel sorry for the doll. It's not a great film (nor was the original really), but it's very watchable and not the train wreck I was expecting. For a remake, it was actually pretty decent and changed enough from the original to make it interesting.

Midsommer

Still can't make up my mind about this one. It's very clearly a "good" film, but it's not exactly enjoyable. It's one of those films that requires a bit of endurance to get through, both in terms of time (it's quite long with lots of stuff not happening for long stretches) and content, and I'm not usually a fan of that. It is very well-made and is equal parts beautiful, creepy and horrific. I think I'd recommend it, but it's not for everyone.

Crawl

Had it on in the background mostly, so didn't give it a great deal of attention. Seemed ok for what it was. Probably better than most of the "killer animal" genre.

The Lion King

Yeah, the remake. Ugh, what a f**king chore. What was the point of it? Yeah, it looked great technically, but it also looked wrong. Talking animals only work when they're redesigned to not look quite like actual animals. They need to be given bigger eyes and more expressive faces to make them more human. Because these animals are so ridiculously realistic, they're incapable of displaying any emotion. Also, there was the music, or lack thereof. Hello? Where was it? It was all cut down into snippets of songs (very, very badly performed as well) apart from The Lion Sleeps Tonight, which was performed in almost its entirety when it isn't even an original song.

HATED IT.

gavin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Meh. Angelina and Michelle Pfeiffer were fab, but it's bit of a mess otherwise.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk