Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Now Showing"

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Mark, May 15, 2005.

1. furie

furie SBOPD Staff Member Administrator Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens WB
    Coaster Count:
    As Howie and Dave are a saying, Alien Covenant was very much suffering from split personality.

It couldn't seem to decide if it was a dark and brooding tale of a decent into madness - telling the tale of what happened before Alien, or if it was a suspense/horror/action film.

Even there it seemed to be unsure of itself. Telling the tale didn't work because it never explained some stuff
    If David launched the pathogen, why did the ship crash into the forest after it was docked and what happened to the thousands of new creatures born (David experimented on some, yes, but there must have been thousands)? Why didn't the lander see the entire city as it landed? It was walking distance from where they landed!!! None of the crew ask about the corpses or the aliens whose city they're in?

Then the Alien stuff it couldn't decide if it was remaking Alien or Aliens and just kind of tried to cherry pick the best bits from both, offering none of the excellence of them.

I never found the film to be particularly tense. It moved too fast to build suspense. The plot was telegraphed, so you already knew what was going to happen anyway, again ruining any tension.

Then the CGI was just really silly a lot of the time. In fact, the film was generally silly quite often. The "Alien Mexican wave" being a particular low point. Both Alien and Aliens worked so well because of the physical effects. If you can't give us better than Alien 3 CGI, keep to physical. Lesson not learned there Mr Scott.

As Howie says though, some of the film is utterly gorgeous. It never quite reaches the heights Scott should be reaching though. It just seemed to be badly cobbled together, ruining what should have been great moments.

I dunno, I just found it a complete mixed bag. The highlights were too few and far between and the lowlights too huge to ignore. Let's face it, can any of you remember any character? When people are being killed, were you ever going "oh, I quite liked them", rather than "Who was that one?"

Very poor effort.

2. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    I'm feeling glad I didn't bother with Alien this weekend, I didn't enjoy Prometheus and it sounds like this one is a bit of a mess.

I did bother with Mindhorn and Miss Sloane.
    Mindhorn is the sort of low-budget British comedy that can either be a hit or miss. Unfortunately this is a bit of a miss. I think this is down to the main character just being too awful with barely any redeeming features and is surrounded by ludicrous caricatures that don't really help this situation. I did love the scene with Simon Callow, that was amusing and Russell Tovey was great. It has it's moments but I wouldn't say it's worth going to the cinema for.

However Miss Sloane I thought was thrilling, I didn't know too much going in so was delighted that it was the sort of gripping drama/thriller that I enjoy. It's quite similar in tone to The Good Wife and House of Cards but with a movie budget. The cast were awesome and there's a couple of interesting twists in there. I really enjoyed it and if you like House of cards you'll love this.

3. peep

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge

I love the Pirates films, none of the sequels have come anywhere near the excellence of the first one but they're still enjoyable. This fifth film however has soooo many issues. I'll start with the good, Salazar is actually creepy and intense, just a great villain. I thought the two younger characters worked really well. However I thought it was long, the story was overstuffed with lots of unnecessary things and it wasn't really that funny, almost trying too hard. Depp's performance as Sparrow felt off, I swear at times he merged into his Mad Hatter from the Alice films. I thought the direction was really bad, I've seen the film described as being dull and I have to agree. I really wanted to like it but overall it's just not very good, bit concerned they're keeping the same writers/directors for the sixth film (apparently, according to imdb).

Also watched the new Netflix original film War Machine.

This has a fantastic cast, I couldn't get over Brad Pitt's accent though, felt so put-on. It was kinda enjoyable, the scenes with Ben Kingsley were fun. The tone of the film was a bit all over the place, some parts are almost comedy and then it tries to be serious and it doesn't really work? Overall though it's ok.

4. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Wonder Woman

I really enjoyed this, and I haven't particularly enjoyed any superhero film for a long time. As with most of them these days, it's overly long, but that's probably because they're basically pushing two stories into the same film - an "origin" story and a "save the world" one. The final scene is disappointing in that after a mostly interesting film, it just turns into yet another CGI borefest. Gal Gadot is perfection.

5. peep

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Wonder Woman

I was a little hesitant about this film because the two previous DC films have been dreadful. However I really enjoyed it, Gal Gadot and Chris Pine are fantastic. I felt like a lot of the side characters had barely any screen time and I'm not sure if that was a good or bad thing. I thought the score sounded a bit Pirates of the Caribbean at times which was weird. The action was ok, a bit too much slo-mo for my liking but generally ok.

6. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Despicable Me 3

It was alright. It all a felt a bit short and a bit rushed. Trey Parker voicing the '80s throwback villain is excellent though.