What's new

"Now Showing"

Mark

Strata Poster
Corspe bride looks amazing.

I went to see Serenity on Sunday and totally forgot to tell all about it.

It is written and directed by Joss Whedon (man behind the cult Buffy and Angel series).

It shares the same scripted wit and humour that Joss has become accustomed to using and it is used effectively. The film is not a comedy but there are moments when the characters are sarcastic in a punning humoured way that makes you laugh anyways which helps the film along but overall it is actually quite lack lustre. It is a good film but at times felt like it needed a kick up the rear end to get on with the story as it dragged a little. Shame because I expected a lot more from this film!

Ben

CF Legend
Corpse Bride does indeed look amazing. I really can't wait.

Last night I re-watched Ten Things I Hate About You, as it's one of my favourtie flims ever, and I hadn't watched in a long time, and I'd forgotten how gut wrenchingly funny, tear jerkingly sad, and awesomely brilliant it is.

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm, Saw serenity on the 7th oct...and the 13th.

Maybe its becasue i love all of Joss whedons work, or that i love Firefly (the tv series prequal to Serenity)

But honestly, this film was simply fantastic, it may have dragged the smallest amount around the middle, but the ending sure makes up for it!.

Not going to write a long review atm, main reason because im setting off to see Lord of war Soon!
I'll tell you what thats like when i get back!

Ben

CF Legend
OMG, ALL must go see Corpse Bride. It is amazing. Almost as good as TNBC... in fact, it may just be better. It's amazing, Burton, Elfman and the animators all at their best for ages, shame Johnny Depp didn't shine as much in this as he did in CATCF, but he still rocked.

It was so funny, the dancing skeletons rocked and the end was so nice and romantic. It really is up there with Mars Attacks, Beetlejuice and Nightmare as Burton's, and film's, finest hours.

So, you all must go see it... what are you still doing? GO! GO! GO!

"It's a bit chavvy"

themeparkphreak

Roller Poster
Mmm..I've never been a fan of burtons work. Exept Mars Attacks!

(I take it he did that?)

I went to Blockbuster Earlier..Couldn't find anything that took my fancy..So i'll proberbly be sad and watch Austin Powers.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, Mars Attacks! was one of his, one of his finest too!

He really is a specific taste... like Marmite, but he just plain rocks :lol:*

*That statement was ignoring Planet of the Apes, *shudders*.

Ben

CF Legend
Meh, quess I'll double post...

Watched Sleepy Hollow for the first time ever last night, and like all other Burton's (still, excluding Planet of the Apes) I loved it. I hadn't heard that many good things about it, and so I wasn't expecting a lot from it, but it was great, the Headless Horseman rocks... especially when he's in that house, with the little kid under the floorboards... eekkk.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Scared the crap out of Minor_Furie that bit. He loved the rest, but that bit gave him nightmares...

Again, Jonny Depp is superb... Burton just seems to bring out the bets in him. I love the way he hides behiond Christina Richi (sp?) when something scary is happening... Great film...

Next watch Ed Wood. I mentioned it briefly to Az the other day, but he looked blankly at me... :lol:

Then go and watch Plan 9 from Outer Space!!! :)

Ben

CF Legend
Watched my new DVD of one of the best non-Burton films last night... Gremlins!

I seriously love this film, especially when that woman gets fired out a window by her stair lift.

It really surprised me when I looked at the box... it said Speilburg on it... so for once, one of his film's isn't a pile of turd.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just seen The Corpse Bride (oooh, how goth and halloweeny of me).

Very good indeed... I prefer TNBC, but I think it's a better made film...

tks

Strata Poster
^ TNBC is sooo much better than Corpse Bride.

In CB there were so many emos. Before the film my friend kept on repeating "Only Tim Burton understands me".. Had me in hysterics! It was very cute though. Lacking in funny moments really.

TNBC you can relate to alot because of Halloween and Xmas. How many young kids have been married?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
TNBC is a much more attractive movie. It's fast, fun and full of stong characters and songs. CB as a piece of film is much better. The story and animation are better and you really forget at times it's animated you get so dragged into it.

Overall though I agree, it's not as good, but they're actually very different films in the way they're told.

No emo's at our showing, but it was subtitled for SSIL_Furie, puts everyone off... :)

TNBC was full of goths when I went to see that at the cinema!!! ;)

AeRo

Hyper Poster
I have just had a bit of a Burtonathon today.....Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands and Corpse Bride and must say that they were excellent.

The first two were revisits from their video releases and the dvd transfers are excellent. Corpse bride is at the Top of my DVD list when it comes out.

Just waiting for delivery of Beetlejuice, TNBC and Charlie from the states now.

Ben

CF Legend
I must confess a sin... I watched and enjoyed Batman Forever last night... what can I say, I was looking through my old vids, and it said Tim Burton on the back...

Anyway, I have never seen a perrformance so camp as the one that Jim Carey gives as the Riddler, he's so funny, he's just so OTT...

And, good work Pete, but don't forget about Batman, the first one, that's a great piece of Burton.

AeRo

Hyper Poster
^ it's coming!

ANBC was last nights one - excellent!

Oh and I also watched Revenge of the Sith - Yawn and the bit where Anakin is transformed into Darth Vader was the most contrived piece of poo I have ever seen.

Close season is definately time to catch up with DVD. :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You also can't forget ED WOOD! Nobody has seen it yet it's easily Burton's best and Jonny Depp is superb in it!

Plus, you have to watch it now as Burton is working on a remake of "Plan 9 from Outer Space". That's the film Ed Wood is essentially all about... It's awful!!! :D

Big Fish is worht watching too...

I checked the other day, apart from Peewee Herman, I've seen every Burton film at the cinema! Woohoo! :)

Started watch Revenge of the Sith last night (did you know the title was taken from the original title for return of the jedi, it was supposed to be called revenge of the jedi, but Lucas changed it as it suggested the jedi were that way inclined). It's still pretty dull. The action is too fast and there's too much going on, but it's not well directed. So instead of being awed like you were at the start of Gladiator, you end up feeling dizzy and confused.

The Vader bit is awful and as fantastic and awesome as Haiden Christensen is at sword play, he's wooden and petulant and just not the worlds greatest sith lord...

AeRo

Hyper Poster
I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory DVD last night. Having read bits and pieces on this I wasn't too sure what to expect but it was amazing. Depp kept on drifting into a Dr Evil accent, the ooompa Loompa(s) were well directed and the kids were well matched.

Mr Burton and Mr Elfman have again put together a masterpiece and this shouls entrtain children for the next 30 years in the same way that the original has.

Great Stuff!

furie - I have Ed Wood now, but am waiting for the right mood to watch it! :wink:

joe

Mega Poster
I was watching 'About a Boy' last night. I really like the film. Hugh Grant acts really well and he is so funny.

I might be watching 'Corpse Bride' on Sunday. Is it any good?