What's new

Nostalgic Love for not very good rides?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I'd love to have had a go on 1001 Nights. It looked absolutely massive.

Must have been good fun even if not very intense.

The view was amazing, I do remember that much. Somewhere still has one I think... is it Kennywood, Knoebels? Somewhere like that anyway. @SilverArrow knows, I'm sure she rode it this year, where was it Emily?

*Edit - it's Knoebels. It's the one that that weirdo woman "fell in love" with.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/276986/till-death-do-us-car-part/

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The view was amazing, I do remember that much. Somewhere still has one I think... is it Kennywood, Knoebels? Somewhere like that anyway. @SilverArrow knows, I'm sure she rode it this year, where was it Emily?

Yep Knoebels. I enjoyed it, much less intense than Quantum. Shame there aren't more of them about.
Apparently Quantum came from Chessington, they had one for a few years in the mystic east area.

I knew I'd get tagged in this thread at some point but wasn't expecting it for a 1001 nights ride!:D

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster

Amazing! Should be visiting Knoebels next year if all goes to plan.

Also that woman was 13 when she first started dating the magic carpet. Not cool 1001 Nacht.
Yep Knoebels. I enjoyed it, much less intense than Quantum. Shame there aren't more of them about.
Apparently Quantum came from Chessington, they had one for a few years in the mystic east area.

I knew I'd get tagged in this thread at some point but wasn't expecting it for a 1001 nights ride!:D
I remember the magic carpet at Chessington but had no idea it was the same as Quantum.

Samurai took its spot in 1999, and then Quantum opened at Thorpe in 2003. So god knows where it was for 4 years.

Howie

Donkey in a hat

Nah, Samurai came from Chessington, and it was awesome back then - super intense it was, with a wicked black and red paint job.
Fairly sure Quantum was brand new at Thorpe, along with Eclipse - that ferris wheel type thing. The following year, Samurai and Eclipse swapped places with each other, presumably because they were more suitable for each park's target audience. Naturally, both parks publicised them as brand new rides. :)

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Nah, Samurai came from Chessington, and it was awesome back then - super intense it was, with a wicked black and red paint job.
Fairly sure Quantum was brand new at Thorpe, along with Eclipse - that ferris wheel type thing. The following year, Samurai and Eclipse swapped places with each other, presumably because they were more suitable for each park's target audience. Naturally, both parks publicised them as brand new rides. :)
Yeah I knew about Samurai with is confirmed but also heard about the Quantum rumour as a separate thing.
Here's a photo anyway
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m..._AUIEigB&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=q1VfLYZjEQdiHM

Snoo

The Legend
I have a lot of nostalgia for Boulder Dash even though the current state of both the ride and the park is not very good.

See I rode it 2 years ago.. I think.. and it didn't drop off for me when I did. It stayed as sexy as it was before. But I do agree, it has seemingly fallen off in the general enthusiast community, especially after it skyrocketed to stardom in 2007-2008.

Pear

Strata Poster
See I rode it 2 years ago.. I think.. and it didn't drop off for me when I did. It stayed as sexy as it was before. But I do agree, it has seemingly fallen off in the general enthusiast community, especially after it skyrocketed to stardom in 2007-2008.
Maybe it's just the homepark boredom but I really feel that after 2014/2015 BD was not as good as it used to be. Combined with the removal of the triple up and switch to one train operations it just doesn't have the same effect on me.

LC as a whole has just not been having a good few years. Phobia was a great and much needed addition but the drop in operation quality, removal of chairlift, and even the whole Wildcat fiasco just make it hard for me to like the park.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Maybe it's just the homepark boredom but I really feel that after 2014/2015 BD was not as good as it used to be. Combined with the removal of the triple up and switch to one train operations it just doesn't have the same effect on me.

LC as a whole has just not been having a good few years. Phobia was a great and much needed addition but the drop in operation quality, removal of chairlift, and even the whole Wildcat fiasco just make it hard for me to like the park.

It’s not my home park, but I’ve been to LC three times now and I have really grown to despise the place; which I don’t say about many parks. The operations are terrible, the ride selection isn’t great, and the park is always jam-packed with obscene amounts of school groups and literally hardly any other kind of guest. Boulder Dash was definitely showing signs of deteorating quality on my last visit, though I have never been a huge fan of its tbf.

Hmmm... log flumes, just in general, probably take up most of my nostalgia capacity. They are often my favourite or one of my favourite rides at parks, and every time I see one is being removed (which is quite often these days) I shed a tear.

For coasters, I’d probably say Atlantica SuperSplash and Euro Mir. Also, of course, Runaway Mine Train at Alton Towers, which was my second coaster (but first one that I can still ride now).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The one that springs to mind is the old Log Ride (or whatever name it had when I used to ride it as a kid) at Rhyl Ocean Beach. For those who don't know it was an is-it-a-cred-or-not side-friction water splash thing.

As a small kid, it looked massive and intimidating and was great to watch from off-ride since there was a window in the structure right next to the splashdown, which would get hit quite forcefully with the water. It took a few visits before I finally went on it, but I thought it was great.

Cue riding the identical Vikingar at Blackpool in my early 20s and feeling very let down.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
The one that springs to mind is the old Log Ride (or whatever name it had when I used to ride it as a kid) at Rhyl Ocean Beach. For those who don't know it was an is-it-a-cred-or-not side-friction water splash thing.

As a small kid, it looked massive and intimidating and was great to watch from off-ride since there was a window in the structure right next to the splashdown, which would get hit quite forcefully with the water. It took a few visits before I finally went on it, but I thought it was great.

Cue riding the identical Vikingar at Blackpool in my early 20s and feeling very let down.

YES! I totally loved that thing too. I seem to remember it simply being called the 'Water Chute'? But yeah, I rode it over and over. My earliest, bona fide amusement parky type memory. Everything else from that era is very hazy - but I remember the Water Chute like it was yesterday.
I also remember seeing the Blackpool one a few years later, but I never saw it operating so didn't get to ride it in the end. Bummer.

sirloin

Roller Poster
Based on other reviews in the thread about favorite B&M hypercoasters, I suppose Intimidator would fall into this category for me, haha. I know it isn't a particularly old ride, but I've just had so many happy memories at that park riding that ride especially that it will always stick with me.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Here are Mine
❤️Apollo's Chariot, had 23 amazing rides with my cousin, sister, mom, and the fact that it is my 150th, and I rode it on my birthday will always stick with me as a ride that is better that LR.
Montu - Marathoning that with my family, friends, and cousin was great!
Kumba - Read above
Fury 325 - nothing will ever come close to that night ride in the front I got with my cousin!

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
^ So you are saying that Apollo, Montu, Kumba and Fury are "not very good rides" or have you not read the thread?
(because I think that Apollo, Montu, Kumba and Fury are very good rides - might just be me tho')
Sorry, I meant to say I adore much more than the average person by putting them above rides like WC, Skyrush, LROD, Outlaw Run, I Rat.
I underatand that I didn't clarify enough, and this probably should have been in the controversial opinions thread. My Bad.

Pear

Strata Poster
What was the fiasco? It was closed for retracking (I think) when I was at the park.
They started retracking it after the 2016 season and hired M&V to do it. However it opened right at the end of the 2017 season because from what I heard the park decided to cheap out on a few things and the lift could not run with the GCI trains since the setup was wrong. Therefore, they had to essentially rebuild the lift. After 2017 they kept retracking it and when it finally reopened for good in 2018 not only did it run one train (despite being specifically altered to run two), but it was also no smoother.

All in all it was a waste of money. They should have just gone with GCI to retrack it.