What's new

Northeast US: Knoebels

Edward M

Strata Poster
I’ve made two recent trips to Six Flags Great Adventure, so I thought I would make a trip report. My first trip was with a flash pass on a relatively busy day while my second trip was without a flash pass, but the park was nearly empty. I think I’m not going to do a chronological order since my days included a lot of going around the park.

Six Flags Great Adventure has a great main street area, which surprised me. Admittedly, my expectations were low; my previous visit was likely the worst theme park experience I’ve had (a family member was hurt while I we were there). Now, going solo, I found myself falling in love with the park. There’s a nice fountain that creates a tiny “hub” and connects the two sides of the park. First, I’ll go with the left side. The park continues to look nice as you approach the first attraction, Houdini’s Gr at Escape.

SOGDWjY.jpg

Houdini’s Gr at Escape: This is an enjoyable experience, admittedly. The preshow is horrible, but it’s Six Flags, what do you expect? The show itself is simple, and the illusion can be cool at times. I figured out how they did it pretty quickly, but it still doesn’t mean that there isn’t some disorientation involved. Overall, I would kind of recommend it, if it seems like something you would like. Annoyingly, the line was about 20 minutes long, both days.

Continuing on past Houdini’s Gr at Escape, you enter the midway area. This is probably the worst part of the park since it has no real cohesive theme (which the park surprisingly is quite good with), and it’s simply just a collection of carnival games with a few DC rides thrown in. Speaking of DC rides…

Superman: Ultimate Flight: This is so meh. I like the pretzel loop, a lot. It’s one of my favorite inversions out there. However, the rest of the ride is so utterly boring. I’m actually a big fan of the Georgia version of this, but it has the clear advantage of being both the original and of using the terrain properly. What makes Manta (and GA Superman to an extent) great is when you get really close to the ground. The ending of Manta is so fun since you are gliding past the water, and it compliments the relatively higher rest of the ride. I want to ride Tatsu very badly (curse you Six Flags for having 7 rides in refurbishment at MM) since it seems to exemplify the height perspective of a flying coaster. I love these models, but this one is a huge dud.

Green Lantern: This is my least favorite coaster in the park. I’ve done 4 stand ups now and hated 2, Mantis and this. I liked two as well, Shockwave KD and Georgia Scorcher. The only correlation I see here is that the other two rides kept the forces to a minimum. My legs simply hurt on this, hurt really badly. I just wanted it to be over. I’m really not a fan of stand up coasters, and this is one of the worst for me. I would recommend a floorless conversion (I know Bizarro is in the park but why not) since it has an amazing layout. In fact, I could see this specific layout being one of the better floorless coasters. For now, I would only recommend this for the credit.

Twister: This is a Top Spin flat, but it was actually my first of these. I loved this! I was surprised how much fun it was. I’m really not a fan of “hangtime” on flats, but this one kept the forces varied enough to where I quite liked it. Highly recommend this one.

hBb3HlV.jpg

One issue I have with the park is how damn hard it is to get to Kingda Ka and especially Zumanjaro, but it does actually allow for some of Six Flags best theming ever. The jungle setting here is shockingly good. It’s Animal Kingdom lite, but that’s certainly not a problem for me! I love the bamboo, the cool structures, the mysteriousness of Ka, and just the vibe of the whole thing. I do wish there were more than two rides here (an extra flat could make this area a bit more worth the trek), but it’s great for what it is. Now, onto the rides…

Kingda Ka: In the back seat, this is not very good. It’s rough and just unpleasant. In the front, this is one helluva ride. I never was able to do front row on Top Thrill Dragster (next summer?), but this makes me want to check it out as soon as possible. The forces you get from that launch, just wow. It’s such a rush! My favorite part though is the drop and subsequent airtime hill. I may even prefer this to Dragster! It’s painful in the best possible sense. Ahhh, love this one! Plus, I applaud Six Flags for trying with the theming here. Sure, it’s minimal, but that minimalistic approach worked great for me. This one is in my top 30 for sure. If it had lap bars instead of the bulky OTSRs, it may be in the top 15.

Zumanjaro: This is the second best drop tower I’ve done. However, I consider it too much. I have a fear of heights (ironic huh) that makes drop towers both thrilling and terrifying. With this though, you only had a lap bar, and it just kept going. I thought be were at the top, but we were halfway up. You were insanely high up. Then, the drop. Wow, what a great drop!! You just keep dropping building up crazy speed before you brake. Overall, I skipped this on my second visit since I just don’t know if the whole experience is enjoyable or terrifying. Still, it’s an absolute must do. I prefer Acrophobia by a lot however since the seats are inclined, and it’s not simply too much.

tubmJc2.jpg

After leaving the Ka and Karnival area, we move into the Spanish themed area and see El Toro. The Spanish area is quite nice though nothing special. It’s a good little subsection to give El Toro its own little themed area. Now, onto the amazingness…

El Toro: El Toro is the s**t. I don’t know how else to describe it. It has some of my favorite airtime on any coaster. The first drop rivals Millennium Force as best drop I’ve done. In fact, it’s all just amazing. On the second day, when the park was dead, I was able to get 22 rides on this, most done in 7 consecutive rides. The ride can be brutally rough if done in the wrong row however. ALWAYS choose a middle seat, this is the best recommendation for Toro I could give. The second to back is the seat to be in. It’s smooth and also insanely airtime-filled. The first two hills of course are iconically great airtime moments, each one redefining the eject in ejector airtime. The next section is good, getting you to the Rolling Thunder hill mainly. However, once you get to that Rolling Thunder hill, ohhhh boy. It’s my favorite hill on a coaster, by far (unless you consider the quad down one hill). It’s just airtime so strong it feels unnatural. I may have just gotten great rides, but I really do think it is this good. I love it. What makes the ride for me though is the mixture of positive Gs in the turns following. I think the best rides mix great negative Gs with strong positive Gs. This is one of the main reasons I found Superman SFNE so great, more on that later though. Overall, El Toro is one of the best coasters out there, I believe.

bWoTaVy.jpg

186K9bh.jpg

Leaving El Toro’s Spanish area, we enter an old west town, which is great. It's simple, sure, but it really is nice to be in with the lake and log flume. I love the theming here, and I especially love how great Medusa fits here. Oh sorry, I meant I hate how badly Bizarro fits here.

idMnbdI.jpg

Bizarro: Bizarro doesn’t ruin the old west area really. It just doesn’t add to it at all. I do really wish this was Medusa; I haven’t even ridden it as Medusa. This ride just feels so pointless and lacking personality. It’s like the most corporate mandated ride I’ve seen. The ride itself is generic B&M, but I found it lacked the forces of the usual old school B&M looper. I’m actually a sucker for an old B&M, Kumba remains in my top 10. I love that great B&M snap through the inversions. However, this had no snap. It just kind of, was. Oddly, I really loved Scream! at SFMM while thinking this was very unimpressive. Not sure why, but I just liked Scream! a lot more. I think the paint job and new love put into it helped. Overall, average.

UPoGssx.jpg

Leaving Bizarro, we get to the area around Runaway Mine Train which is shockingly nice. The lake by El Toro as well as Mine Train’s final turn by the fountain is a gorgeous sight, really impressed honestly! Now, onto the ride itself.

Runaway Mine Train: Ok, this is one of my new favorite mine trains. It is sooo awkward and jerky in the weirdest places I LOVE it. It’s short, sweet, and to the point. The helix is decent, so is the main drop. However, that hill and turn is just wonderful. That classic Arrow awkward airtime followed by a pretty turn by a lake near El Toro. I’m surprised this doesn’t get more love. Definitely going to ride this one again.

WPo0BnE.jpg

Near Runaway Mine Train is the log flume, which, while I skipped it, looked very nice. Then, there was the safari, which I didn’t skip! This had the longest wait in the park as far as I could tell, 2 hours!

Safari Off Road Adventure- Ehhhhhhh. I’m so mixed on this. On the one hand, it is just an enormous safari, with tons of animals, and I mean TONS. The amount of animals here was insane! However, unlike say Kilimanjaro Safaris, the animals looked depressed. They were all just grouped together in slightly small spaces and just roamed sadly. The worst was the tigers, which infuriated me. They are in insanely small cages that they should not be in. All the other animals at least have wandering room, but the tigers don’t have any!!! It was nice to see all these animals, but I just get the impression Six Flags is not taking good care of them.

N66nWdR.jpg

After the Safari Off Road Adventure, there’s the skyway nearby. That skyway, which is nice but always has a line, ends up right beside an odd little coaster named Skull Mountain. Skull Mountain’s area near Nitro and Batman is pretty nice overall. I definitely prefer the other side of the park in terms of… everything, but this side is still nice. It just has a lot of dead areas, especially near Dark Knight and the new Justice League area.

Skull Mountain: This is good; it really is. It’s actually quite impressive visually outside, but, not as much inside. However, the lack of theming adds to the ride in some ways. While the Dark Knight has a predictable layout, this certainly doesn’t. It allows for a lot more unexpected turns and drops that are really fun. It’s the music that makes this one though. It is playing this metal music that’s a little too quiet, but it also has a tiny skull that’s the only real theming. It is so cheesy that I kind of love it. I can’t see anyone not enjoying this. Oh ya, the back is significantly better here, fyi.

IdzHSzF.jpg

Speaking of Skull Mountain, lets talk about its newer but lesser cousin nearby.

Dark Knight Coaster: I don’t hate this really. It’s better than the average wild mouse, by a lot. However, it’s still a wild mouse. I just don’t like the idea of taking such a great property like the Dark Knight then just saying “Why So Serious?” over and over. It’s just a bit dull overall. The preshow would be good if they didn’t have this insanely loud obnoxious noise that plays multiple times toward the end. I may would have reridden, but I just don’t want to hear that sound again.

Near the Dark Knight is another roller coaster themed after the Dark Knight, Batman: The Ride.

Batman: The Ride: This was actually my favorite Batman clone. I loved it. I usually dislike the Batman clones since they seem to be intense just for the sake of being intense. However, here, it had some good snap to it. It wasn’t uncomfortable; It was just a good, fast, and fun ride. It was still intense, but the intensity was fun unlike most of the other clones. This and Goliath SFFT are the definite standouts of this model for me so far.

Speaking of Batman, there’s another ride themed after Batman and his friends, in the new Justice League mini area. I found that Justice League really didn’t have a long wait until the afternoon. I think that’s because it is tucked away in this tiny corner at a dead end of the park. Without a map, It would have been hard to find. Nonetheless, it’s a nice enough little area with an homage to the now departed Batman and Robin: the Chiller (RIP) that was nice.

Justice League: Battle for Metropolis: I liked this a lot! It’s likely my favorite shooting ride, which is quite a feat especially since it is Six Flags. The screens are far from perfect; it’s no Spiderman. However, it just has a fun atmosphere as you shoot down bad guys while riding through Metropolis. I especially liked the in-between sequences, namely with the Joker. The animatronic was quite good! It looks like they’re done building these, but I’m glad there’s a good amount now. They’re really fun rides.

Moving past the boring areas between Justice League and Skull Mountain, we have the boring area near Nitro! The more I think about this specific side of the park, the more I realize it’s really not very good haha. However, Nitro is good, maybe not great though.

Nitro: B&M Hypers have been letting me down lately. They used to be my favorite models, but, as I ride more and more coasters, I find RMCs and Intamins much more interesting. The airtime here was simply weak. The bunny hills had some great moments, but the main hills just didn’t have any umph. I still think Shambhala and Goliath SFOG are amazing rides, but the rest I’ve done are falling down from my top 25. They just don’t quite do it for me. Still, as a coaster, Nitro is great! It’s fast, has good airtime, and is quite an experience in the front seat. It’s mainly just a pleasant ride for me. It has some great positive Gs in the helix as well as good negative Gs in the hills. It isn’t really that noteworthy, but it’s still a great addition to the park. It’s odd though, I rode the ride in 2012, and it seemed much, much better, smoother, and was generally in better shape. The seats are torn and dirty as is the track and the trains. The ride has also picked up quite the rattle (on every train, I rode them all). The same can be said for all the rides here except the newer ones. It’s incredibly disappointing since, I think with some TLC, these coasters could be amazing! Especially Toro and Nitro, since they’re both getting much rougher than before. I hope Six Flags shows this park some TLC love because it certainly deserves it.

zvMxRP8.jpg

Well, leaving the Nitro area there’s the Ferris Wheel area which is actually one of my favorite areas in the park. It has some great shade, nice flats, and is just pleasant to be in. There is the Joker area nearby, which houses the Joker and Harley Quinn Crazy Train. The new Joker area is simply but nice. The location by the lake helps.

The Joker: Yes! This may be only about 30 seconds but what a 30 seconds! This truly is X2 lite with amazing flips and turns. It really is just a blast from beginning to end. I’m glad these are getting reproduced because they will be a must for every trip for me. Oddly I greatly prefer the this one to New England’s. The location is better for one, but it’s mainly that it starts spins in certain places with means more spinning and a more consistently thrilling ride.

Harley Quinn Crazy Train: Oh my gosh I loved this. In the back, you get amazing forces and are whipped around this tiny track. Best kiddie coaster ever.

unDTGDC.jpg

Lastly, what put this over Fiesta Texas as my favorite Six Flags, was the picnic area. This was such a nice refuge from the business and commotion of the park. The beautiful lake by it was great to watch. It felt like a park in my home town, but I could walk 2 minutes and ride El Toro! It’s just nice and tranquil. I love theme parks, but I always need a second to get away from the crowds and relax. This is why the hidden areas like Cape Cod at Disneysea, New Orleans Square courtyard at Disneyland, and Discovery Island Trails at Animal Kingdom are some of my favorite areas of each of those parks. I just need a break sometimes, and this area is one of the best places to relax at a park.

aRxm5gh.jpg

6iAlCVf.jpg

Well, that concludes my simple report. I didn’t feel that too much detail was necessary since most members are familiar with or have been to the park. Therefore, I thought a more straightforward review of the rides and areas would be more effective.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

I do love your enthusiasm in your writing for some of the rides - it's a little infectious and brought back happy memories of visiting the park when I had few coasters to my name and being blown away by the size and scale of the park and the coasters. Thanks for making me feel nostalgic. :)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Great report. Haven't been for a number of years and it's nice to relive some of it again and see how it's changed. As Hixee says, loving the enthusiasm you have.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Thanks for the compliments guys! Glad I could bring back some good memories.

Well, my number one roller coaster spot to get to was Hartford/Springfield. Superman and Boulder Dash were my top to do coasters for years, so, when I realized I was going to college in NYC, I thought this would be an ideal time to go up there.

I decided to get a season pass to SFNE since I was planning to go to SFGAdv at some point later (turns out I also have a SFGAdv + Hurricane Harbor Flash Pass now for next year). As a result, I went to SFNE at about 4 pm for an evening, and I was planning to go for a full day two days later. Turn out I really didn’t need that extra day, a few hours was more than enough time!

I got there by uber, and I set my destination for Superman. Superman had been my number one most wanted coaster for most of my childhood, behind Millennium Force (Golden Tickets was my closest connection to the coaster community at the time). Even as I’ve heard it’s not as amazing as it may have been built up to be, I was still very excited to ride. Something interesting about me and all my favorite rides, my first ride is almost always not great. I come in not knowing what to expect, but, once I know what kind of ride it is, I find it easier to enjoy and then to judge. This is what happened with Superman. I left having enjoyed it but ultimately disappointed. I’ll return to it since my night rides were infinitely better than this afternoon ride.

Next up, I just went next door to Gotham City Gauntlet Escape from Arkham Asylum By Way Of Wild Mouse Roller Coaster Within The Confines Of Six Flags New England But It Was Supposed To Be A Dark Knight Coaster Oh Well It Wouldn’t Have Been Good Anyway.

GCGEFAABWOWMRCWTCOSFNEBIWSTBADKCOWIWHBGA for short- It’s your average Wild Mouse expect worse than most. Not exciting enough to be memorable and not bad enough to be memorable. Just forceless.

Boom! Next up is Catwoman’s Whip which surprisingly was fantastic. It had a great whip to it, and it was just a ton of fun. I would ride this again.

The DC Area here is tiny. In fact, the whole park is unbelievably tiny. You could easily walk the whole park in 10 or 15 minutes. It’s generally nice if not a little bit too overcrowded with rides. There’s no breathing room anywhere since every space is crammed with something, whether it be a coaster, shop, or flat ride. It made the park generally unpleasant for me. Parks can have a really fun business or commotion to them, but the rides here don’t even interact. They just kind of sit by each other. Still, no one comes here for the theming or breathing room, they come for the rides. Still, this is certainly the worst Six Flags I’ve been to. Generally, Six Flags are really fine; their operations can be awful. However, they put money into their parks and can produce some amazing rides. I mean, they produced the insanity of X2 (even if it put them in debt), so I can’t complain about the company.

I decided to go to Joker now. I thought it would take a while, but it took aproximately 2 minutes to get there, if that. I mean this park is so damn tiny. Joker continues the trend of very lazy and irritating DC rides at Six Flags (this is one of my biggest irritation with the company), but the coaster itself is so fun. It isn’t as good as its Great Adventure counterpart since they didn’t put in the forced spin (it makes the rides very inconsistent, some are amazing and others are duds). As a result, I found myself not wanting to reride despite the empty queue.

Next up is, you guessed it, Batman: The Dark Knight which, despite being one of the laziest DC attempts ever, is a great B&M looper. It just has some classic B&M snap with an overall smooth ride and just great forces. Love this.

I have to say, this corner of the park is unbelievably awful. It’s crowded beyond belief with rides and games smashed around this confusing amalgamation of pavements. I couldn’t even find Joker’s entrance for a while. It’s a bit baffling. I didn’t come back to this area after I left, had no desire to.

Mind Eraser is another in a continuing trend of shocking SLCs. Ummm, I like SLCs, genuinely. They’re fun, a bit rough, but overall harmless. Maybe I haven’t encountered a horrid one (I’ve done three, Gauntlet, T3, and this), but I prefer the average SLC to the average Batman clone *hides*. What can I say, I like the first inversion, turn into the sidewinder. Hell, I even enjoy the inline twist. I thought about riding again honestly. It’s even my favorite ride at Magic Springs (which is likely the least impressive feat of any ride ever).

I decided to go on to Wicked Cyclone. I, stupidly, expected a bit of a trek to the coaster, but it took about 3 minutes to get to the ride. It had the longest wait so far, as in a 5 minute wait (really dead this day).

Wicked Cyclone is one of those RMCs people go crazy for. I understand, it’s a brilliant layout for such a small coaster with amazing airtime and inversions. However, I have found a trend on this trip. I need a mixture of forces, negative and positive. The negative Gs here are unreal, amazing airtime and even some of my favorite inversions on any ride. However, it lacks a sense of speed and any real positive Gs. It’s just a constant onslaught of airtime which many people may love, but I just need more. This is one reason I find Superman across the park a better coaster, the finale has some great helixes that highlight the airtime even more. A break between airtime makes me appreciate it more. This is another reason Lightning Rod is brilliant. Even with the quad down, the airtime insanity is following a first half that included a launch, amazing speed, high positive Gs at the bottom of hills. I just love speed as well, it’s one of my favorite features of a coaster, the wind in your face. I find that fast coasters just thrill me more. It’s all personal preference, but a sense of speed just feels so right on a coaster. Wicked Cyclone lacked this for me. I get why it’s so loved, but I prefer Storm Chaser and the RMC wooden coasters.
Two of the best RMCs in one photo booth.

Next up, I went with Pandemonium and went to their single rider line. I really love these spinning coasters, and they may have been the best product Gerstlauer was offering in the 2000s. They have great spinning (which is lacking on those s**t Maurer models) and even include bits of airtime! Obviously, Mack has the best spinning coaster model out there, but these are still enjoyable little family coasters.
4860AB6B-543F-4E14-B5C0-8CCAC5060EF0.JPG.JPG
Flashback is literally right next door and is one of the rougher boomerangs I’ve done. I actually have a soft spot for boomerangs, and I think they’re generally a lot of fun. This was crap though, boooo.

2DE83407-2405-42B2-9FB0-45C2035EE03A.JPG.JPG
Speaking of crap, Goliath had just opened up when I ran in to get into the single rider line. I got a back row seat and was sent off. I have always wanted to do the GIB models since I actually like boomerangs. I still want to do one with regular Vekoma trains, but this was the worst coaster experience I’ve ever had. This didn’t have traditional head banging, I can handle that, no this had insanely intense rocking back and forth, throwing your body in all kinds of direction and hitting every single area of your restraints. There was no joy, simply pain, utter pain. Midway through, I just thought, please God, can’t it just be over. It was even worse on the way back with insane shuffling as the trains don’t fit with the track and create such intense jolting movements that my neck, back, head, and even legs were hurting. I had to take two advils after because my head hurt so much I had to just stop walking and take a second to rest. It was that bad. It was SO bad that someone asked me how it was in line, and I said it was the worst roller coaster I’ve ever ridden. Everyone on the train was in pain and very angry. They actually shut down the ride again, after one ride. It ended up opening back up at the end of the night, so maybe it was an outlier experience. I don’t care though, this was the worst experience I’ve ever had at a theme park. It was so bad that I considered for a moment why this was my hobby if it meant riding s**t like this. Obviously, a ride on Superman got me back in line, but I was just so angry and in such pain.

2E6AF58B-1FE6-4084-A09A-784A8B426B25.JPG.JPG
E7F57A60-8CE9-49AB-922C-561577FBA4AD.JPG.JPG

I went for the kiddie cred quickly which was done by E&F. I actually really, really enjoy these rough little kiddie coasters that yank you into turns since you are obviously too large to be on this. It’s genuinely pleasant. Next up was my only real wait of the day, Thunderbolt. This was a very pleasant coaster! Very, very smooth, with some pops of airtime and a beautiful paint job. I rode front row and just had a good time.

Anddd, ya I was done with the creds, hurray. I’ll end this with my night rides of Superman. This was just fantastic. I know many people find it meh, which I get, but I just found it so fun. The restraints are bulky and awful, but it doesn’t ruin the ride by any means. The airtime is great, not the best, but it certainly sends you out of your seat. The third hill is one of my favorite hills on any ride actually. I love the overbank and S-Bend going through the buildings as well. It gives a great representation of your speed and is just pleasant. Lastly, there’s the best part of the ride, the helixes, tunnel, and bunny hills. It’s just great going in those fantastic helixes followed by great pops of airtime. I just can’t even really say why I love it so much. It just has great airtime, speed, helixes, and length which I all look for in a coaster.

CA61C801-D2BC-477A-AC17-25196476203C.JPG.JPG
EEB4677C-62D2-4AE9-80DF-33E2E38EA5D4.JPG.JPG

Overall, Six Flags New England is not a good park. It’s tiny and pointless in many ways. It has nice areas, ironically around Goliath and also in the main entrance area. It’s just too small to impress overall. Any space that could be interesting or have some theming is replaced with a ride since they need a justification for people to buy a $100 season pass. I would buy a season pass if I lived near it to ride Superman and Wicked Cyclone. However, I have no rush to go back if there’s no new additions soon. Next up, we will go with a quick trip to Lake Compounce.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don’t care though, this was the worst experience I’ve ever had at a theme park. It was so bad that I considered for a moment why this was my hobby if it meant riding s**t like this. Obviously, a ride on Superman got me back in line, but I was just so angry and in such pain.
Haha, I felt this way after riding Nighthawk at Carowinds. Lying there on my back thinking why the hell am I doing this. Luckily Fury wasn't far away and I'll never ride Nighthawk again so it's all Unicorns and Coconuts again now :)

I never got a night ride on S:ROS, the late afternoon rides were good, not great, but the day rides were god awful. Night rides may change my mind but as of now, still one of the most disappointing coasters I've ridden. Wicked Cyclone is fab, but it the worst of the RMCs I've ridden and I expect it to stay there when I ride more. That's not a bad thing though as they are all excellent. The speed is a problem I agree.

Edward M

Strata Poster
After a successful day at Six Flags New England, I was pumped, very very pumped. Boulder Dash had been number one on my to do list for a long time. It was, until Lightning Rod, the nearly unanimous number one of the site for a while. Obviously, people have been changing their minds as more coasters come out, but it didn’t mean I was any less excited. It seemed like Beast but prettier and with airtime.

So, I took an uber to Lake Compounce and, after a little bit of confusion, I finally arrived. I wondered whether or not to go straight to Boulder Dash or do Phobia since it likely has the worse capacity. I went with Phobia. I must admit, I dislike most of Lake Compounce. The area by the lake and water park are very nice, I love that area. However, the main park area seems very crowded and a bit too small. It’s nice to an extent, but it feels ultimately soulless. Nonetheless, it’s aesthetically pleasing and extremely inoffensive. I can see why many people enjoy the park; it’s just too small without enough to do for me. Plus, it’s not really worth the money.

First up was Phobia which was fine. I got a front seat which helped, but it’s rather dull. It’s just so short and unmemorable. There’s just nothing to really talk about with it, I liked the launch and inline twist but then it’s over.

So, forget everything else in the park, you know what we’re here for. Boulder Dash is amazing. It needs some time to warm up, but, by about 2 pm, it’s really flying through that course. I do wish I had stayed later to see how it rode by about 6, but there was nothing left to do at the park. Anyway, Boulder Dash is amazing. I was surprised by the roughness of it, but I didn’t really mind. I thought it added some character and thrill (I like rougher rides idk). The lift hill has the most beautiful environment of a lift hill I’ve seen. It’s close to being the best one, but X2 exists so, sorry. The first half going through the trees on the mountain is just gorgeous and has such a sense of speed, which surprised me. It’s one of the few rides that seems to build speed throughout, which I love. The airtime is solid, but it’s really the environment that makes it for me. I just love it simply. The environment, the roughness, the sudden drops and lifts, it’s just so great. Then, there’s the famous finale. Yes, it’s amazing. It’s just a perfect finale for the coaster. Such an onslaught of airtime after airtime after airtime. My rides seemed to get better and better as the day went on which was great. I think I got 7 or 8 rides and tried the back seat and front seat. The front seat was much, much better. It’s not perfect though. It’s rough and not paced the best. Without the environment, it would be much less memorable for me. In the end, I think rides like Lightning Rod and Skyrush have more memorable and insane airtime while X2 is just pure insanity. Still, it’s just fantastic, not many complaints.

fodnhRq.jpg

46Iwv8Z.jpg

sjklge4.jpg

After that, I decided to try out Ghost Hunt which had a pretty small queue. I actually really loved this. It’s one of my favorite shooting rides since it is fun, long, and has a ton of targets that have a fun effect. It felt old school but not outdated. It’s a really great family dark ride for a small seasonal park.

After that, we have Zoomerang which is a usual boomerang. It’s likely my favorite boomerang since it was actually quite pleasant. A boomerang, when smooth, is decently enjoyable. For a coaster that takes up such a tiny amount of space, it really does do a lot. They’re a good purchase for any park owner, especially in the 80s and 90s. This one looked great with a good paint job on the track and trains. Better than the average Boomerang.

After this, I went back for about 4 more rides on Boulder Dash, most in the front. The line was very, very slow since they were only running one train which resulted in what should be a short wait, being constantly about 15 minutes. It was very irritating, but it always felt worth it when I rode it. At about noon, I walked around a bit, to take in the park. I got some lunch and had a very pretty view of the lake. Afterwards, I walked towards the chairlift, hoping to ride. While it ended up closed, it was worth the trip since it provides an amazing view of Boulder Dash, photographs of that area here:

Zv2f1Qe.jpg
XoXjliw.jpg

B394LXc.jpg

Here's the newly wooded section for those interested
fxqQKrN.jpg

Well, Wildcat had been testing on and off all day which led to some cred anxiety. Sadly, it never did open. They had opened it for a bit the previous day, but, by the time I left, the workers weren’t even hanging around the station anymore. The millennium flyers looked very good though maybe a bit pointless for a relatively awful looking coaster. Still, better trains = better ride, so, good for that. I do wonder if Boulder Dash could or perhaps would get millennium flyers? Not sure if it’s been done yet, but, if this goes well, I could maybe see Lake Compounce going for it. Eh, I really don’t know. This really concludes my short report. I’ll end it with some pics of Wildcat and its trains. Should be back soon with Hersheypark!

dCmkibW.jpg

beKhflw.jpg

ETrLy9P.jpg

O8qnFY9.jpg

Denny's is America's Diner
zSD70mn.jpg

FINChIT.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I do wish I had stayed later to see how it rode by about 6, but there was nothing left to do at the park.
...except re-ride Boulder Dash?... ;)

Nice report. I think your sentiments about Boulder Dash ring true with how I felt all those years ago. I'd love to go back and see how it holds up now.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
More people having good rides on Boulder Dash *grumble, grumble*. Glad you liked the park. It always gets a lot of criticism but I liked it for what it was, a cute small park with limited budget.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Thanks for all the comments guys! Glad you're enjoying these. Have Knoebels left then that looks to be it for me and my reports in 2017! Been quite a year for me though, thanks for listening to all my opinions.

Hersheypark is one of the nicest seasonal parks I’ve been to. It first left an impression with the opening area. It felt very reminiscent of Silver Dollar City with a lot of foliage and nice little buildings. However, that Silver Dollar City disappeared pretty quickly as soon as you get into the park. It’s a very carnival feeling opening collection of rides. The foliage remains dense until you get the option to turn either toward Skyrush or Fahrenheit. Since I had heard about the operational nightmares of Fahrenheit and Laff Trakk, I was planning on heading immediately to Laff Track. However, when I passed Fahrenheit with an empty line, I couldn’t resist hopping on. That was a mistake I would find out later.

Fahrenheit- This is a decent looper. It had some unique inversions that helped it stand out however it was really quite average overall. I really liked the second half with the corkscrews, helix, and airtime hill, but the the first half was mostly meh. It’s a good looper, but, if I went back to Hershey and this was an hour wait, I would be happy to skip it.

After Fahrenheit, I rushed over to Laff Trakk to see a scary sight. The outdoor queue was quite full. After I left, I realized it was only half full, but it still had me worried since the ride has a notably horrible capacity. The line moved at an achingly slow pace, and it ended up being a 45 minute wait (note this was 10 minutes after opening and this part of the park was dead). The app later said the line was a 75 minute wait which I would believe.

Laff Trakk- I’m going to be honest, I **** hated this. After that long wait, I was hoping that these Maurer spinners would be decent; they always looked pretty good. However, the car barely spun, and any fun that could be had was killed by these rough brakes that made the car crawl into the next section. It was irritating since a good ride may be in here, but the brakes just killed it. I was also very unimpressed by the theming. I don’t need Space Mountain, but the theming was minimal. Plus, thanks to the way it is done, you can see the whole track. I imagine this would actually be quite fun if I couldn’t see the track. Overall, I hated it. Longest wait of the day that was 10 minutes after opening. To think this cost me so many rides on Skyrush and Storm Runner is aggravating.

Well, I really wasted no time getting to the next ride I rode, which was likely the biggest disappointment of the day.

Lightning Racer- Meh, I mean it’s fine really. It had no airtime at all or really any forces. However, the dueling element was fantastically done and reminded me of (RIP) Dueling Dragons. I just wish that it had some ejector here and there. It felt so insanely tame. I only got a morning ride, so I never had the opportunity to ride it after it warmed up a bit. Perhaps if I visit the park again, I’ll be sure to ride it in the evening. For now though, my second least favorite GCI effort in front of the atrocious Gwazi.

After Lightning Racer, I rushed over to Wild Mouse. I decided to take a moment to really take in the Midway area. It’s nothing amazing, but it’s quite nice overall. The incorporation of the water park in the middle worked well I thought, and it had a good amount of foliage which is something that parks greatly underestimate the need for. It’s just a nice little area.

Wild Mouse- This is certainly the best Wild Mouse I’ve done mainly because the turns were not braked. As a result, they were quite fun! The dips and everything provided no airtime but were enjoyable. There’s not much to say, but this is much, much better than the average Wild Mouse which I appreciated.

66D142D7-811B-4D0F-81C5-36F46101AB2F.JPG.JPG
Here's a selfie of me desperately needing coffee.

Across the walkway was another “wild” roller coaster.

Wildcat- Wildcat may be one of the prettiest wooden roller coasters I’ve ever seen. It’s just gorgeous. I just like how it used what little terrain it had, and it was so nice to watch it go through its layout. This seems to be a very hated GCI, but it is actually my favorite GCI in the park. It had more airtime, was rougher (which I preffered), had amazingly comfy seats, and was just more of an experience. I especially like the part at the end where it drops down into one last turn. It picks up some nice speed before the ride hits the brakes, and it stuck out to me. Ultimately, I’m a big fan of this, and I would certainly ride it again.

PkD7TPU.jpg

With the Midway section officially done, it was time to go for my second most anticipated cred of the trip, Storm Runner. The Storm Runner section is cooler than it should be. It’s a tiny little area with just the station and Sidewinder, but there’s some cool buildings. More than anything, Storm Runner’s launch just adds a lot of atmosphere, a lot like what Dragster does for Cedar Point’s Midway.

Storm Runner- I looovvveed this. It is right up there with Dragster and Kingda Ka for me. It has the usual amazing launch, but the rest of the layout is what makes it so great. What shocked me was the amazing ejector over that top hat. The Snake Dive or whatever it’s called has some great whip to it. I especially like the ending sort of banked turns. It was just a really fun ride with a ton of great forces. I do wish I had gotten a second ride, but Skyrush took up so much of my time. Plus, this had a consistent 75 minute wait at the end of the day.

After Storm Runner, I walked down to Trailblazer. This little Trailblazer area is, also, very nice. The large helix and trees give the tiny area a good amount of breathing room.

Trailblazer- This is the tamest of all the mine trains I’ve done, but that’s not a particularly bad thing. It’s quite smooth and keeps things short and simple. It is not memorable in the slightest, but it’s not the one at SFOG so I’ll give it that.

After Trailblazer, I continued on to the area near the new Hershey triple tower. This is one of the worse areas of the park simply because there isn’t anything really here. The triple tower helps our the area for sure and added some traffic to a sort of dead end. However, I was not wanting to go for the towers, but I was wanting to check out Skyrush. Only issue was that the park was now PACKED. This was like Magic Kingdom in July packed. It was so sudden and kind of shocking since the other side of the park was so calm with so few people. The wait was about 45 minutes, but I didn’t mind too much. To be honest, I just watched an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Skyrush- Everything that I’ve heard about this ride is true, good and bad. The airtime here is undoubtedly the most intense I’ve felt. The only things that come close are Storm Chaser and Lightning Rod, but I don’t even think those are close to the intensity of that final hill on Skyrush. However, while I loved the airtime, I was surprised by how great the positive Gs were here. The laterals are just fantastic. I think my favorite part of the whole ride may be that part where it twists from one turn into another. Every time, I just got absolutely thrown from one side to another. It’s the most violent sensation I’ve felt on a coaster, and I loved it. Overall, it is likely the second best layout on a coaster I’ve ridden, only behind Lightning Rod. This is where the bad comes in though. Those restraints are both the rides greatest attribute and its greatest detriment. The freedom allowed is just insane. I mean, other than perhaps X2, I’ve never felt a seat could allow me to feel so off the ride in a sense. This, along with X2, felt like an experience that was somehow beyond a roller coaster. It felt like the ride wasn’t safe almost. Other than this one tiny bar on your thighs, your body is moving in any direction. It’s just wild. However, that tiny bar on your thighs is painful, very painful. I didn’t mind it until the marathon I did. After about 4 rides, my legs were just killing me. Lastly, the airtime here was sometimes too much. This is an issue I felt with Storm Chaser’s final bunny hills. It was such intense airtime that it bordered on feeling unsafe or unpleasant. Overall, it was amazing, but there was almost a sense of danger that I don’t often feel on a coaster, other than (again) X2. It’s an out of control feeling like the ride wanted to get you off of it. It was like riding a bull. It’s trying to buck you off, but that tiny restraint is keeping you from just launching out of these seats. This is also the coaster that made me feel that X2 was my favorite coaster. After my rides, I found that this was closer to Lightning Rod in ranking than X2. I’m sorry Live guys, but X2 has stolen my heart. I just keep remembering the thoughts I had on that drop. It also remains the only coaster I’ve ever compulsively screamed on, out of sheer fright. Still, Lightning Rod could take number one again. They’re practically tied.

JqHS2m7.jpg

After the insanity of Skyrush, I took another ride. After that ride, I decided to look at the waits. I went with Great Bear since it was only 30 minutes. I’m unsure if anyone here watches Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I’m turning into Larry David. I was in line for the back row, and I was fourth in line. I mean, that means you get the fourth seat, the edge seat. However, as we’re getting on, this guy just sits in the edge seat. It was irritating, but I guess it’s fine. Then, though, he gets out of the seat and puts his stuff away. It almost ruined my ride cause I was thinking of the unspoken park rules. If you are going for a certain seat that isn’t in the order of people, you gotta ask. You can’t just take the seat if it’s not your seat. I mean there’s an order here. If I was third in line, I would’ve had no problem. Another issue, the park had these 75-90 minute waits, and they were releasing trains with an average of like 5 seats still open. Why can’t parks invest in single rider lines? Wouldn’t it help everyone overall? I guess there’s always those people who don’t understand how a single rider line works and simply insist that their family gets to go together cause little Tommy is scared of roller coasters. Why did you get in the line then?!?! Plus, people at parks are such slow walkers. That’s usually fine, but there’s always this huge family that has made a line that is unpassable. They’re going approximately 1 mph. If you’re going that slow, you gotta let people pass.

Great Bear- This was a solid B&M Invert, but it wasn’t anything too memorable. Its first half had some fantastic forces, but it dies out at the end mostly. It just felt a bit too short. I just don’t have much to say about this though. If you’ve ridden a custom B&M Invert, you’ve pretty much ridden the ride.

prEUxIK.jpg

7DvJXwO.jpg

One great attribute for Great Bear though is its amazing location and setting. Its action along with SooperDooperLooper and Skyrush’s lift hill make the Skyrush area my favorite of the park. There’s so much energy to it, and it’s just gorgeous at night. After Great Bear, I went on the three Hershey towers. The rest of the park had hour plus waits while these had only 15-20 minute waits.

Hershey Triple Towers- These are pretty average drop towers. The triple drop tower is a good gimmick, especially with the different chocolates as their variation. However, there’s really not much to say here. They’re pretty small towers and aren’t particularly memorable. I remember the Reese’s one had a bit of airtime, but none of them are anything special.

After the Triple Towers, I knocked out the Cocoa Cruiser. It was a fine little kiddie coaster. Then, I headed out and went back to my hotel to get some lunch. I spent a few hours unwinding until I headed back for more rides on Skyrush. I really just rode Skyrush until the sun set. After that, I thought it was time to knock out the rest of the creds. I went with Sidewinder first, which had been closed earlier. It was only about a 15 minute wait.

Sidewinder- This is one of the nicer boomerangs, and I actually enjoyed it. There’s not much to say here though other than boomerangs are better at night.

After that, I had to pass over Storm Runner since it had an hour wait posted. I walked around a bit and fell in love with Hersheypark a little bit. The area near Comet is just perfect at night. I came from the tree filled area from Trailblazer over a bridge underneath Great Bear to the popcorn light filled Comet. Comet looks so amazing with its entire layout filled with popcorn lights. Great Bear also looks amazing with nearly no light on it but that distinctive roar and the lake sitting still.

OmhVVF4.jpg

UnXKMjx.jpg

Comet- This was the biggest surprise of the trip. Wow! What a great little wooden coaster. I was unaware that I had gotten the “ejector seat” (car 1, row 3), but it certainly lived up to the name. The buzz bar provided for some amazing airtime whenever the hills got any. The environment right by Skyrush, its lake, and the popcorn lights flickering all around was just simply wonderful. I just loved this. It was so unexpected as well!

P7nEEyA.jpg

One person here sees me taking this picture.

After Comet, I took some night rides on Skyrush, which is an entirely different beast at night. I mean, wow. I’ve said enough about it already though. Next up is,

SooperDooperLooper- This was really nice. It just felt so nice to have the wind in my face among this beautiful view, plus the loop was great. There’s not much to it, but it has some nice turns and a solid helix. I just enjoyed it.

I ended the night with a few more rides on Skyrush. On the way out, I decided to try out this dark ride, Hershey’s Chocolate World. It was a surprisingly solid dark ride. It had some informational sections, solid setpieces, clever effects, and amazingly terrifying animatronics. Watching a giant Hershey bar argue with a giant Reese’s cup over which is better in a sing song voice but terrifyingly robotic movements. Its mouth was so off. I also got this picture of a clever use of Internet Explorer pop ups to immerse the riders.

H0akcpd.jpg

That’s really it; hope you enjoyed it!

Edward M

Strata Poster
Thanks for all the kind comments about these reports! Really makes the effort feel worthwhile. Well, this report will have no pictures. It was an extremely rushed cred run although I do really wish I had had more time here. It seems like there’s so much more I would have liked to have done here.

Well, we got here about 30 minutes after the 12 pm opening. We had until about 3:30 pm, which seemed like more than enough time. However, the parking lot was insanely packed. Luckily, the lines themselves weren’t too bad. It took a while for me to really warm up to Knoebels, but its charm really won me over. To me, Knoebels is similar to a public park, in the best sense. While the park was packed, most people weren’t even riding roller coasters. They were just with their families, having a good time. There was a pure joy to the guests here that really cheered me up. If you’ve read these reports so far, you know I love foliage in a park, and Knoebels delivers! Everywhere there are trees above you. The rides are squeezed in but comfortably so. There’s constant movement thanks to the people and flat rides, but it’s also very easy to breathe and just relax. The park can either be fast paced and thrilling or laid back and relaxing. The buildings are very homey in a similar way to Silver Dollar City, but there’s something smaller and much more charming about the buildings here. Walking by this tiny little wooden house filled with the wonderful smell of sugary roasted peanuts was simply pleasant. If this was near my home, I would come here all the time. I would ride Phoenix a few times, but I would mostly just relax. It’s just a nice place to be which is my favorite kind of park. In the end, the park may not be better than Epcot, but I think I would rather be at Knoebels. Mainly, cause Epcot is at least $99 while Knoebels is $0. I’m unsure what else to say; I think I’d rather just get into the report.

I got my tickets and went quickly to Impulse. I got to the single rider line and was put on immediately. The ride itself is very, very mediocre. It’s smoother than the average Eurofighter, but it also lacks the forces they have, for better or worse. It just felt insanely meh. I barely remember it to be honest. At least it had lab bars!

After Impulse, I knocked out Kozmo’s Kurves. I quite like these E&F kiddie coasters, but there isn’t much to say. It is what it is.

I really wasted no time getting to the main event, Phoenix. The look and station of Phoenix shocked me, simply because I wasn’t expecting such a classic look. I love the sign it has, the station, the trains. It’s just a cool, classic Wooden Coaster look. I got on the ejector seat, (car 1, row 3) and got 2 rides there. I do really wish that I had gotten a ride in the front, but the line was insanely long. Plus, my time was very limited. The ride itself is great, of course. Although, it wasn’t quite was I was expecting. Phoenix shares a similar problem to the smaller RMCs I’ve ridden. The airtime is just insane, but it lacks a sense of speed. The airtime makes it top 10 worthy, but I just really like a sense of speed on a coaster as well as a mixture of positive Gs. Still, this just isn’t what the coaster is. For what it is and tries to do, it’s just fantastic. That airtime is insane with those amazing buzz bars. This is especially true with those last few airtime hills. The airtime here also is messy, but I like that. It’s just a strong force, just pushing you into those restraints. I especially love when you float so far above the seat. It’s wonderful. Overall, it’s just a great old airtime machine.

After 2 Phoenix rides, I decided to knock out Black Diamond. I was not expecting anything at all, but I kind of loved this. It’s very cheesy, but it’s a classic cheesy. The scares work effectively, but it’s the atmosphere that shocked me. The atmosphere continues to get more ominous as the ride goes on, and it just works. I’m not sure how to describe it unless you’ve ridden it. It’s just a great little coaster.

After this, I braved the 40 minute queue of Flying Turns. The coaster itself is very short but quite fun. The bobsled effect here is better than any steel coaster I’ve ridden. The turns got some great banking in my train, just great. I was much more thrilling as well, which I quite liked.

Twister was the last coaster of the short day. I really like this area, going over the bridge to this mess of wood. The coaster itself, well, I’m not a fan. I got no airtime and too many laterals. I’m fine with laterals, but I need some airtime to balance it out. This was just kind of rough and not notable. Meh.

Lastly, we got some lunch. I was really surprised how good the food was here and especially how reasonably priced! Six Flags’ burgers are $10 while the ones here are $5. It’s not perfect, but it certainly feels reasonable.

That pretty much concludes my day though. Like I said, it’s short and more a cred run than a park visit, but it was enough to time to explore the park and fall in love with it. Ahhh, Knoebels is amazing <3

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Always happy to see more love for Phoenix :)
Knoebels is a gorgeous park - it has that real traditional fair feel to it. Like you, we only had a short time there and I really, really wished we'd had the whole day. Can't wait to go back one day (especially since Flying Turns has since opened). I was secretly terrified that Phoenix won't be as good as I remember but your report has given my me encouragement that it's still just as fab.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It's a shame it's so small really, and being so close to the other 2 parks it's easily fit in as a stop over. If it was slightly larger it could become a full day park, and I'd love to stay there for a day. I have the same thoughts as you and Sue, lovely park, amazing woodie and a decent selection of other rides.
Flying Turns is pretty awful though, and definitely not worth a 40 min queue.