• B&M Invert

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
No, its that if I handbuild something I end up nitpicking every little wiggle in the ride half to death and take ages and ages just to get through the track and if it's a comp then I end up with half of a ride, no supports and a few hours left, so I just would rather use the tool, which allows me to make the ride smoother and with a bit more finesse than if I'm handbuilding, not to mention in about a tenth the time.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Allow tools... it's the only way I make coasters because when used right, track is silky smooooth!

Bear

Roller Poster
Xpress said:
3 words:

Lack.

Of.

Control.

I suggest you see a therapist!

(Joking)

I'm not bothered if tools are allowed, you can make the smoothest and most perfect track ever conceived but if the layout and supports (or other important details) are rubbish, a Newton'd or AHG'd track won't really make a difference.

Snoo

The Legend
Xpress said:
3 words:

Lack.

Of.

Control.

So you have more control when you have a tool to do all the smoothing for you instead of doing it yourself? Ahh I see.

My problem with tools are mostly because they aren't necessary to create a great ride. I find people tend to be more lazy and unimaginative with their tracks when they tool. On top of the fact that not everyone knows how to use them, and giving someone an advantage that isn't even necessary in the first place is just lame to be honest. Plus, if you REALLY think having a silky smooth track is going to win MY comps, you got another thing coming.

If you wanna nitpick, do work! You will have a better coaster because of it. Of course, that's my opinion, I'm definitely not wrong. ;)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yes, not everyone can use it. So they can use their abilties to hand build, whereas others can use their abilities with tools. If it's about who can build the best coaster, surely we should all have to opportunity to make the best coaster we can.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Snoo said:
So you're saying people don't know how to hand build.. at all?
What? No, i'm saying people who are better and handbuilding should hand build, whereas people who prefer to use tools should have the option to. Because, like I said, I think everyone should be able to create the best coaster they can, and if that means tools then so be it. Thats all I meant...

Xpress

Strata Poster
Snoo said:
Xpress said:
3 words:

Lack.

Of.

Control.

So you have more control when you have a tool to do all the smoothing for you instead of doing it yourself? Ahh I see.

My problem with tools are mostly because they aren't necessary to create a great ride. I find people tend to be more lazy and unimaginative with their tracks when they tool. On top of the fact that not everyone knows how to use them, and giving someone an advantage that isn't even necessary in the first place is just lame to be honest. Plus, if you REALLY think having a silky smooth track is going to win MY comps, you got another thing coming.

If you wanna nitpick, do work! You will have a better coaster because of it. Of course, that's my opinion, I'm definitely not wrong. ;)

Get your head out of CF, and get over to a community that advocates in the use of something other than handbuilding. Unimaginative? Lazy? You can be the same with a handbuilt track.

There is NO advantage to using a tool over handbuilding, aside from the simple fact of matter that a tool creates a lot more precise control over the element, and it's not just banking and forces, it's every single aspect of using it that creates more control. Handbuilding has its limitations, so you see people not implementing specific elements because either A. It takes wayy too long to play out the element and smooth it, shape it properly, bank it, repeat, etc etc, or B. It's just simply not possible to do by hand.

One more thing, tools ABSOLUTELY DO NOT do all the work for you, you have to put in just as much brain power and effort into them to get them to function properly. Even a program as simple as Newton2 needs a lot of work and effort to churn out an element that is shaped properly, or banked correctly. Look at the Banana Roll Gerstlauer has implemented into their newest Eurofighter. You think you can just whip that up in 5 minutes in Newton? Sure you can, but it's not going to be anything representative of the actual ebb and flow of the real one. Would look good from a distance, but unless you actually spent a lot of time and effort working on it in Newton then it just won't ride anywhere near the same.

Will "silky smooth" tracks win competitions? Nope, absolutely not. But why tell the builder what he can build his tracks with? Should not it be up to the builder? You are contradicting yourself here. Telling us that smooth tracks won't win competitions, but that using tools is an unfair advantage to those that don't know.

Another thing, look at how many people ran their tracks through AHG or use Newton in the woodie comp. It's evident that people like using them, and KNOW how to use them, so why not let us use them?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Xpress said:
But why tell the builder what he can build his tracks with? Should not it be up to the builder? You are contradicting yourself here.

I would agree if this were not a competition. Snoo runs it, so he sets the rules. If you, the builder do not like those rules, then don't comepete, it's simple.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Uncle Arly said:
Xpress said:
But why tell the builder what he can build his tracks with? Should not it be up to the builder? You are contradicting yourself here.

I would agree if this were not a competition. Snoo runs it, so he sets the rules. If you, the builder do not like those rules, then don't comepete, it's simple.

It should be up to the builder to choose how he wants to build his track, plain and simple. Otherwise you're distracting from the real point of the competition.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Part of the competition's challenge is no tools. If you build a ride using tools and submit it, then you're not accepting the challenge. To make it more simple, you're taking the easy way out.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Antinos said:
Part of the competition's challenge is no tools. If you build a ride using tools and submit it, then you're not accepting the challenge. To make it more simple, you're taking the easy way out.

It's not a fair challenge. Some people are actually better at creating tracks when they can use newton or elementary or WHATEVER they see fit. Some people just plain suck at hand building, and can't (for whatever their reasoning be) make anything worth **** by hand. I have seen it plenty-a times before. I was once that way.

It's not the easy way out. Whatever your arguments may be, it's absolutely not the easy way out and I'm tired of arguing that well known fact.

I miss the old days at CC or CS, where competition creativity was at its best. Nobody discriminated against you for building how you wanted to.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Antinos said:
...you're taking the easy way out.

Actually I can't handbuild at all, and I only use newton. Newton can still be pretty difficult to use. If Snoo doesn't allow tools, then I won't enter, but it would be unfair.

Snoo

The Legend
Xpress said:
What fun would that be? :p

You being an uppity **** about me 'discriminating' in a comp that I run isn't really helping you're side. I'm fully behind what Ethan was saying and I'll allow tools next comp.. besides you Xpress. You can hand build because you are a whiny bitch about not getting your way in something you have absolutely no control over. ;)

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Xpress said:
Uncle Arly said:
Xpress said:

It should be up to the builder to choose how he wants to build his track, plain and simple. Otherwise you're distracting from the real point of the competition.

Yes, but if those choices mean you do not follow the rules, then you get deducted points, or whatever. You CAN build with tools if you really want to, but just means you will be disqualified. Pretty simple really.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Snoo said:
besides you Xpress. You can hand build because you are a whiny bitch about not getting your way in something you have absolutely no control over. ;)

Here we go with the discrimination bull **** all over again.

Bring it on. I personally don't give a rats ass about what I build with. I'm simply putting it out there that it's wrong that we should have to be forced to build one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.