What's new

No Six Flags Dubai...for now.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Tatweer, the company set up by the Dubai government to oversee entertainment and tourism investment in Dubailand, has confirmed that other projects planned are to be put on hold.

Tatweer are currently developing LegoLand and Universal parks.

Current market conditions are being blamed for the (hopefully) temporary hold.

Source: http://www.emirates247.com/property/dub ... 9-1.394403

Tatweer Parks, a subsidiary of Dubai Holding, is currently in talks with Universal Studios and Merlin Entertainments Group for theme parks in Dubailand and not actively pursuing any other venture, Emirates 24/7 can reveal.

“Tatweer Parks continue to work with Universal to develop a world class theme park in Dubai on line with market demand. Specific dates will be announced nearer to the time of opening and when agreed with Universal,” the company said in an emailed statement.

“Similarly Legoland forms an important part of this strategy and we continue to work with them.”

The company mentioned it was not actively pursuing other parks at the moment given the market conditions, asserting, “theme parks remained an integral vision for the future development of Dubailand and Dubai’s continued growth as a tourism hub.”

This means major theme park projects announced by Dreamworks, Six Flags, Marvel and Tatweer’s Freej Dubailand would not go forward.

According to Dubailand website, the venture is estimated at Dh235 billion and covers an area of three billion square feet. It has seven themes: theme parks, culture & art, science & planetariums, sports & sports academies, wellbeing & health, shopping & retail and resorts & hotels.

In 2007, Tatweer, a member of Dubai Holding, and Universal Studios announced plans for Dh8-billion theme park project in Dubailand. The first phase of which was expected to be completed by 2010.

In 2008, Merlin Entertainments Group, the world's second largest visitor attraction operator, announced plans to create Dh912 million Legoland Dubailand. The three million square-foot project was due for completion at the end of 2011.

Earlier this month, Dubai Properties Group Chief Executive Officer Khalid Al Malik told this website that it was committed to the Dubailand
project and was providing infrastructure in accordance to the contract with the developers. He had called upon the developers to fulfill their part of the commitment and build the entertainment components of their projects.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well I didn't see that one coming. ;)

Also, anyone else read "Tatweer" as "Twat-er"?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Well at least what seem to be the major projects are still going ahead.
Not that I give a rat's arse, Dubai is the biggest dump I've ever been to . A gold-lined, jewel encrusted dump maybe....

nadroJ

CF Legend
So many parks were announced for Dubai it seemed like it was going to overtake Orlando for the theme park family holiday destination, yet slowly but surely all of them have been 'put on hold', for however long THAT means. Hrrmph. I'm not interested in going for the weather or beaches, phone me back once you've got a decent line-up of parks, then we'll see if I'm interested.

walker1104

Mega Poster
Hixee said:
Well I didn't see that one coming. ;)

Also, anyone else read "Tatweer" as "Twat-er"?

Yup, glad that wasn't just me :lol:

Having never been to Dubai, I may have been tempted to go if they had a decent park line up. But like Jordan said, without that, there isn't much of an appeal to me.

spicy

Giga Poster
I can't see theme parks working particulary well in Dubai anyway, with its strict and rediculous rules.

I know even if Dubailand was fully built, I would still rather head over to Orlando for the theme parks.

Pablo237

Roller Poster
I really want to see Dubailand happen though. It is one of those epic things in a lifetime you wish to see.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The economic downturn has not treated Dubai's tourist attempts with kindness. Frankly, I was surprised to see Ferrari World come to reality, as all of these construction projects are very much under threat.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hyde244 said:
The economic downturn has not treated Dubai's tourist attempts with kindness. Frankly, I was surprised to see Ferrari World come to reality, as all of these construction projects are very much under threat.
From what I could see on a recent Fifth Gear episode (VBH <3), Ferrari World is more of a museum/gallery with a coaster and a few attractions instead of a theme park with some cars. If that makes sense. They made it seem like the majority of the place is about Ferrari cars and their history, style, class and elegance. The coaster is just something extra. It looked like it's aimed more at the average Dubai visitor (rich, successful, business man types) instead of the thrill seekers. It definitely was not being marketed as a theme park. That might be some way to explaining why the project still went ahead and why it doesn't appear to be doing that badly.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Well Dubai in general began to fall apart a couple years ago. This is what happens when you have a monarchy where nearly all of the capital is cultivated from a single non-renewable resource. The dreams of Dubai, although some have been accomplished, were too grand to be realistic. It was at one point the place I really wanted to visit (regardless of the proposed Dubailand) but now I see that its flaws have lead to an inevitable demise. I want all of these projects to follow through, but I don't see it happening. I agree with Hixee as to why Ferrari World probably worked out. I fear Dubai may become the land of lost dreams.

Pablo237

Roller Poster
^Some how, sometime in the future, I wish those dreams will become reality. But for now it will probably remain flat desert for years.

But wait, yesterday something else was posted on another forum site.

Dubailand, the multibillion-dollar real estate project backed by Dubai Properties Group, is in talks with developers to review their contracts under a wider restructuring plan that aims to get the project back on track by the year-end.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubailan ... 01628.html

reddude333

Giga Poster
Interesting news, and seemingly progress, but I will believe it when it opens. Even if they start to build it that does not prove it will go through. I hope they figure something out.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I can't see theme parks working particulary well in Dubai anyway, with its strict and rediculous rules.
If they manage to run water parks like Wild Wadi and Atlantis, where people are half naked, then a dry park should be no issue.

A digression anyway, its too bloody hot for most of the year to spend the day outside. Sega Republic and the other indoor parks should survive ok though.

davidm

Strata Poster
[major BUMP]

...its back; (-ish)

Six Flags Will Set Up Shop In Dubai As Middle East Tourism Recovers From Financial Crisis
Link : http://www.ibtimes.com/six-flags-will-s ... is-1570719

Mega theme park in Dubai: Six Flags signs off on plans
Link : http://gulfnews.com/business/property/u ... -1.1318317

Official press release from SF site;

Six Flags-Branded Theme Park to Open in Dubai

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE: SIX), the world's largest regional theme park company, and Meraas Leisure and Entertainment LLC, announced today a new strategic partnership to bring a Six Flags-branded theme park to Dubai. The project is planned to open in late 2017 and will be located within the multi-themed park project in Jebel Ali launched by Meraas.

"The cornerstone of our international expansion strategy has always been finding the right partner in the right location and, with Meraas in Dubai, we have done exactly that," said Jim Reid-Anderson, Chairman, President and CEO of Six Flags Entertainment. "We are honored to be working with this world-class organization as the first significant strategic step taking the Six Flags brand to growing and successful markets outside North America."

Raed Al Nuaimi, Chief Leisure and Entertainment Officer, Meraas L&E, said: "We are delighted to have a world-leading theme park company and a brand like Six Flags on board. We are confident their presence will perfectly complement our project and further enhance our overall offerings in the leisure and entertainment space."

"As part of our commitment towards creating one-of-a-kind experiences and contributing towards the Dubai Tourism Vision 2020, our association with Six Flags will help us develop a world-class destination that redefines the industry and positively impacts the regional tourism sector."
http://investors.sixflags.com/phoenix.z ... ID=1917796

(but don't hold your breath! :) )

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
Just heard this. It is quite exciting. Especially as I am supposed to be working in a job next month that will see us interviewing the people from meraas and their planned parks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Maybe the title of the thread should change now :p

Sounds like the plan is similar to before with SF just sticking their branding on a park operated by someone else.

I'm assuming as this is being built my Meraas and not Tatweer (the builder of the old plan) it will be a whole new design and the art released by Goddard group is irrelevant.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Meraas is a fantastic company what always finishes its projects, I'm really looking forward to how an out door park will handle in the Dubai summer heat.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I would assume all the queues will be air conditioned. The bus stops in Dubai certainly are. People don't like standing around outside for long periods of time