What's new

Nickelodeon Universe | Chongqing China |Indoor Theme Park

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Another park that was announced a while ago but is starting to come along now.
The park will be very similar to the one at American Dream in New Jersey but hopefully without all the issues :)
chongs.png

Part of the China Motors mall project in North Chongqing the indoor park will be themed to Nickelodeon and feature several new coasters.
At first glance the concept art looks almost identical to the NJ project but there are key difference.

Chongs2.jpg

The park will feature 28 rides themed to various Nick IP's, The park will also have its own stop on the Chongqing monorail.

The Ninja Turtles coaster will be a modified Takabisha layout taking 4 indoor coaster records, 8 Inversions, 43.5 meters (143ft) tall, 63mph and 3451.4ft long. Most importantly its not a Gerst design.
A Spinning coaster will intertwine with the TMNT ride and also it won't be a Gerst design this time.
A smaller launched coaster will also be installed. (judging by the concept art a Half Pipe)
The fourth coaster will be a junior coaster.
An indoor drop tower will be installed with 4 different choices of seat, Sitdown, Sitdown Tilt, Floorless Tilt and Standup Tilt.

The US Group Triple Five behind the NJ project are involved here but I'm unsure in what capacity.
Opening date is expected to be end of 2020 but as this is China lets say 2021 :p

Location is here - https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7961184,106.6643241,449m/data=!3m1!1e3

Satellite image from last month shows it coming along nicely.
Chongs3.JPG

News stories
https://cq.ihouse.ifeng.com/news/20...U6aAy_PU7VFPMy1tYqVV9DzygJvGZepg1Y-VkrGtl4xUA (Newer but in Chinese)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-inks-deal-nickelodeon-indoor-theme-park-china-1129708 (Older but in English)

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
If the Takabisha clone isn't a Gerstlauer design then who's manufacturing it? GH?
Although for now it hasnt been officially released whos building the rides. The coasters will be from western manafacturers so don't worry about it being a terrible Golden Horse version at least :)

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Small update on this new Nick Park. Not really any new news just confirmation of what we knew.
Confirmation their main coaster will be taking several of the indoor records from the New Jersey version as mentioned in the first post.

This roller coaster has 4 world records-the highest drop (43.5 meters), the highest number of inversions (8 times), the longest track length (1052 meters), the fastest speed (100km / h), allowing visitors to experience the roller coaster belt At the same time as the ultimate challenge, you can also start a strange journey with the "childhood partner" ninja turtles.

For reference thats about 52m longer and 0.5m taller along with an additional inversion and the same speed.

NickChong.jpg
The park is due to open towards the end of 2020 and will feature the usual selection of Nick IP's such as TMNT, Dora the Explorer and Spongebob. In addition the metro extension to the park is now complete with a station on the monorail line now right at the entrance.

Source - https://www.cqcb.com/wealth/2019-12-16/2041625_pc.html

Dar

Hyper Poster
Aren't they currently being sued over the prototype that was costing, allegedly, 5 figures in monthly maintenance? And the Ducatti one that just plain doesn't work right?
1ZVPeMGNICJx2MuoJpa52WeA4eJgnI98tVBVsKyaH2KTeUx3xwF8rskpgejbkgeqvX_Bs5a5JfVxV3wxmnKMv0GWQZ9ATVH7JqSQRlrAMOqTxoW-kvxHLXuqT1G4ZCBy4sg0iXE4omiMTGoijO2lBLAjBNgIX8cwMe0

Matt N

CF Legend
I must admit that I too am rather surprised that Maurer has sold another Spike Coaster; they must be doing something right for them to be selling, so fair play to them! Out of interest, is this the only range that Maurer sells now, as it seems to be the only coaster model they’ve sold as of late?

As for the spinner and looper, I’m very intrigued to see Intamin being picked. Because it’s Intamin building them, I’m currently guessing that the spinner will be something like Objectif Mars at Futuroscope, but I’m not really too sure for the looper. If they want a similar style of coaster to Shellraiser, then maybe they’re doing a revival of the Vertical Lift Coaster, like Fahrenheit at Hersheypark? I could have sworn they were building a new Vertical Lift Coaster at another park in China that I can’t remember the name of, so I’d say it seems plausible that this park could receive one too.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I must admit that I too am rather surprised that Maurer has sold another Spike Coaster; they must be doing something right for them to be selling, so fair play to them! Out of interest, is this the only range that Maurer sells now, as it seems to be the only coaster model they’ve sold as of late?
No, they opened Phoenix at Adventureland Iowa, a spinning coaster. They also sold a new-gen X-car a few years back.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
No, they opened Phoenix at Adventureland Iowa, a spinning coaster. They also sold a new-gen X-car a few years back.
Ah right; I forgot about Phoenix for some reason! But I think the X-Car you’re referring to may have been sold quite a few years back now (I think it was 2015, from memory), unless you’re referring to a different ride to me?

Regardless, these other installations do certainly seem to be exceptions for Maurer these days; the Spike definitely seems to be their main product now. Although that being said, I think Maurer’s sales in general over the last few years have been quite low; does anyone know why their sales suddenly declined?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Do you have any proof of the lawsuit? I haven't seen anything about it yet.
Whether there's an actual lawsuit I don't know. Haven't seen anything either. But the park did confirm they are in "having disputes" with the manufacturer and the ride couldn't be removed until these were finished. So its probably just speculation.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Ah right; I forgot about Phoenix for some reason! But I think the X-Car you’re referring to may have been sold quite a few years back now (I think it was 2015, from memory), unless you’re referring to a different ride to me?

Regardless, these other installations do certainly seem to be exceptions for Maurer these days; the Spike definitely seems to be their main product now. Although that being said, I think Maurer’s sales in general over the last few years have been quite low; does anyone know why their sales suddenly declined?
Cuz they're ? rides other than the spinners.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
To be fair to Maurer they have had a real but if misfortune with their spinners in recent years. Respublika, Six Flags Dubai and Mirror Lake (China) have all bought spinners and have all folded before they were erected. So there's currently 3 custom maurer spinners just sat around not installed.

Matt N

CF Legend
I was led to believe that some of their more recent X-Cars (e.g. Shock) were quite good (I must admit that I do quite like Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, even if it’s not my favourite coaster by any means), and the Spike Coaster certainly looks interesting and unique!
To be fair to Maurer they have had a real but if misfortune with their spinners in recent years. Respublika, Six Flags Dubai and Mirror Lake (China) have all bought spinners and have all folded before they were erected. So there's currently 3 custom maurer spinners just sat around not installed.
Really? That certainly makes things a little more interesting for them; I wonder why all the parks that folded bought Maurer spinners? I know it’s just a coincidence, but it does seem slightly odd...

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I've always thought Abismo, Shock, Freischutz and Dragon Legend looked like solid rides.

I didn't particularly love G Force or HWRRR when I rode them, but I think the coasters listed above have stronger and more interesting layouts. The restraints are ? though.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Isn't Maurer in general really on the low burner at the moment? I mean, aside from those mentioned three, only three other Maurer coasters have been built since 2015. Six coasters in five years isn't much of a cadence for a coaster manufacturers. They built seven coasters in 2011 alone (including fairly large ones such as Shock and Freischütz), then three in 2012, three in 2014, and then back up to six in 2015. Since then, there has been one in 2017 and two in 2019. How are they making business with that sort of sales numbers?