What's new

Next big UK Coaster

LoopingSean91

Roller Poster
Hi guys!
New to this forum, so thought I'd start a little discussion for us UK enthusiasts.
So with the UK miles behind in terms of top 10 coasters, what do you think will be the next big coaster to come to a park in the UK?
I know we had Wickerman and Icon last year and they are both solid rides, but I wouldn't put them in a world class category and I think the UK is crying out for something like an RMC or B&M hyper. With only Thorpe Park really the only uk park with the land, cash and no height restrictions, it leaves us very limited. The rumours that Merlin have a deal with GCI for 2 coasters, would we be happy with a GCI at thorpe after just building Wickerman? Personally I would be very disappointed and feel they should look for bigger and better.
So yeah would love to hear your thoughts?
Will we ever see a truly world class coaster in the UK? Or will it be something like a Mack big dipper or one of the new Vekoma models, at a smaller park like Drayton Manor or Blackpool?
Maybe one day we might get a good 500 foot RMC
I can dream right?

Hi guys!
New to this forum, so thought I'd start a little discussion for us UK enthusiasts.
So with the UK miles behind in terms of top 10 coasters, what do you think will be the next big coaster to come to a park in the UK?
I know we had Wickerman and Icon last year and they are both solid rides, but I wouldn't put them in a world class category and I think the UK is crying out for something like an RMC or B&M hyper. With only Thorpe Park really the only uk park with the land, cash and no height restrictions, it leaves us very limited. The rumours that Merlin have a deal with GCI for 2 coasters, would we be happy with a GCI at thorpe after just building Wickerman? Personally I would be very disappointed and feel they should look for bigger and better.
So yeah would love to hear your thoughts?
Will we ever see a truly world class coaster in the UK? Or will it be something like a Mack big dipper or one of the new Vekoma models, at a smaller park like Drayton Manor or Blackpool?
Maybe one day we might get a good 500 foot RMC
I can dream right?
I really wanna see RMC Grand National but I know that won't happen if it's still a landmark attraction. I'm not sure if the rule still applied for Wild Mouse though. But a Vekoma Suspended Thrill Coaster (concept) for Drayton Manor and a GCI at Thorpe Park/Chessington World Of Adventures would be great. Oakwood would do well with a Mack Powersplash/Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster. Paultons Park would be amazing with a Mack Launch Coaster, near Cobra and Edge on that massive field area replacing the seal and digger rides

LoopingSean91

Roller Poster
Yeah I totally agree with you about Nash! I think some enthusiasts are far too sentimental over it. It's a classic ride but it's far too rough now. I'm no expert but I don't think the structure is capable of being converted in to an RMC, but I would have no problem with them knocking it down and starting from scratch. I think there would be massive uproar at first, but that won't last long as soon as people see a juicy RMC in its place. Unfortunately though I think it will be a very long time before we see Pleasure Beach with a new coaster. I don't think Icon has been as successful as they thought, I've been 3 times this year and it's ghostly quiet at the moment. Fingers crossed they have a good summer.
Same for Drayton Manor. I don't think they can afford a massive investment right now either unfortunately.
I think it's realistically only Towers, Thorpe or Paultons who can afford a multi million pound investment right now.
Another one I'd like to see is Rita knocked down and a proper Intamin Blitz coaster in its place.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Sadly due to the lack of competition in the UK parks aren't having to up their game in the same way European parks are. All the UK parks are pretty average and as a result it only requires something like Wickerman (excellent addition to Alton, but let's face it, nothing compared to recent European coasters) to be the better park amongst a bad bunch. I think it'll be a long long time before we see anything like a hyper/RMC.

Shame.. and sorry to bring a downer on a potentially optimistic thread!!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Sadly due to the lack of competition in the UK parks aren't having to up their game in the same way European parks are. All the UK parks are pretty average and as a result it only requires something like Wickerman (excellent addition to Alton, but let's face it, nothing compared to recent European coasters) to be the better park amongst a bad bunch. I think it'll be a long long time before we see anything like a hyper/RMC.

Shame.. and sorry to bring a downer on a potentially optimistic thread!!
To be fair, it's not all glitter and sunshine in Europe outside the UK either. There are the two booming parks in Poland, a handful of ones in Germany and BeNeLux (not so much Lux, even), and ...Liseberg and Parc Asterix, I guess. The Spanish and Italian coaster scenes are even more decimated than the British one, there's hardly a coaster at all to be found east of the Alps, and additions to parks in the Nordic countries tend to be on the same small scale as the UK parks get, if even that.

Sure, if you compare the UK against the entire rest of Europe it might seem like a bit of a downer, but on a country-by-country basis it comes out pretty favourably, only below Germany and maybe Sweden in recent years. But there are plenty of countries elsewhere in Europe with a much worse coaster scene than the UK, even on a per capita basis.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^I've been saying that for a while actually. We like to whinge a lot here in lil' ol' England, but it's really not as bad as people make out. I think the main cause for complaint is how it's kinda stagnated over the past couple of decades. One could argue that back in the 90's and early 00's the UK was way out in front compared to other European parks. Big One - world's tallest, fastest coaster (when it opened), Nemesis - first B&M in Europe (and still one of the best), Shockwave - first stand-up coaster in Europe, Oblivion - world's first dive machine, Colossus - world's first 10 looper. Even T'Ultimate was the world's longest coaster at one point, wasn't it?
Trouble is, things haven't really advanced that much since those days and countries like Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands and even Poland are now taking the reigns and running with it. Given where we were 20 years ago, it just feels like we should be further forward than where we are now.
Sure, Icon and Wicker Dude were welcome additions, as the new 'Mingo and Paulton's coasters are certain to be, but where's our Taron, our Taiga or our Untamed? Where's our Helix and our Shambhala? Elsewhere in Europe, that's where.
But like I said at the beginning, things could be a lot worse. On a creds per square mile basis we still do alright, we're still the only European country with 5 B&M's, we still got some record holders and seeing as we're a small island with lots of coastline we got shed-loads of seaside amusement parks and piers for those who enjoy whoring their worms and mice.

As for the next big UK coaster, well... it's almost certainly gonna be at Thorpe Park innit? Realistically, where else is it gonna be? I personally reckon they'll go with GCI and nab the height, speed and length records for a UK wooden coaster (surprisingly achievable - something the size of Troy would do the trick!).
I think a B&M hyper would be too expensive and an RMC would be too 'radical' for Merlin, but would be very happy to be proven wrong on either of those counts.

Last edited:

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
We've got a lot of coasters in the average/good category but only a couple of world class coasters.

All I want is a solid airtime machine tbh. Don't care if its RMC, B&M hyper, intamin blitz or whatever.

However Merlin have recently suggested that budgets will be cut further for their theme parks whilst they focus on midway, so I'm not hopeful.

Niles

Giga Poster
Competition drives innovation and outdoing each outer, in the UK at the mo this is happening from the family parks, Paultons is leading the way and with the new Gullivers and many outer additions across family parks there is a rival to Merlins family parks. Hopefully Chessington and Legoland will counter this by building new coasters (i think Chessington was looking at a water coaster or Moto coaster), this is how is see are future untill something changes.

As for the next big thing hopefully the Flamingo land coaster will make Alton have to add something to counter but i don't see anything happening soon. Thorpe is the only park with the money, land and less restrictions to add something world class in the UK to me, While id love a big GCI/GG in a done up old town, RMC next to swarm and a B&M hyper along the skyline i am losing faith that this will ever happen as they have the best lineup in the south for thrills all ready why would they do anything.

LoopingSean91

Roller Poster
Thanks for all the replies!
I think the general consensus is that it's going to be a long time before we see something world class come to the UK.
This is the first year in 5 years I haven't got Merlin and Blackpool season passes. Instead I've got 2 summer trips to Walibi Holland and Energylandia planned. It's a shame but I'm bored of the UK parks now.

So? What's everyone's thoughts on SW9 at Towers?

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Alton Towers are very capable of adding a world class coaster.

The original SW8 was going to be substantially larger than Wicker Man however the amount of rock needing to be removed for it blew the budget completely.

Hopefully they can revisit the same site in Forbidden Valley as was originally considered for SW8 for SW9 now, and if it is a steel coaster the extent of rock removal for supports will not be as great. There is the scope to create a fantastic multi-launch terrain coaster around there.