What's new

New RollerCoaster Tycoon game coming to the 3DS!

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
bulby1994 on my coaster forum said:
Even though this is not strictly coaster news, but a new RollerCoaster Tycoon game is coming to the 3DS, one of my favourite video game systems. It is schedulaed coming out in America at some time in March 2012, but no news has come about a European release yet, but a release date will most likely come soon. With the price-drop of a minimum of £125 and $169 new, I hope this gives a few people on this site a reason to get one! (I'm looking at you Simba!)

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-is-coming-to-the-3ds
Personally the idea of RCT on 3DS is horrible.
I love the playing this game on a big computer screen, The 3DS has a small screen so it won't give me the same WOW!!! factor.
but anyway what is your opinion of RCT on the 3DS

P.S; I could not find a topic already for RCT on 3DS on this forum if their is one I am sorry for duplicating a topic.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
For me, there's one positive here... Maybe...

If it's a release of a "proper" RCT, then it's great as it means there's still industry interest in the franchise.

If it's another "Thrillville-esque" thing, then bugger :(

The former says "potential new RCT game", the latter "load of dross with vague coaster input".

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
Teaser Trailer!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRzYXgfLcOw&feature=feedu[/youtube]

LOL its just b-roll of really Roller Coasters!

fishman100

Mega Poster
I personally am excited; I love the series and if they released a new game I would probably be the 1st one in line :p

However I am concerned about viewing the rides on a small screen, like Coasterfreck said.

Also I hope that they will incorporate new parts, such as diving loops/immelmans, etc. since they weren't featured in RCT3. (You could make an immelman with a half loop and them a barrel roll, but that just isn't authentic. Diving loop: small slope, then a barrel roll and a half loop. Like the immelman it doesn't really look right and it's not really authentic.)

I don't really see why they would release a game for the 3DS rather than on a PC, though...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Cos I think the 3DS is the only 3D platform at the moment...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's simply economics really.

There are hundreds of millions of DSs out there, it's the biggest gaming platform in the world.

The 3DS was meant to really take on the mantle and also have huge numbers of users.

The DS has the advantage of the touch screen and stylus that can be used to mimic a mouse on a PC.

RCT3 didn't sell massively well as it was plagued with technical issues - the biggest being that you needed a good gaming PC to play it. Most people with decent gaming PCs aren't really that interested in play RCT. So a new release from Atari of the franchise will hit a small userbase who have massively technical issues - it's a market worth avoiding.

So the DS is really an ideal platform for a version in terms of numbers, but I'll bet that the 3DS is required technically to actually be able to process the graphical images.

I'm also willing to bet it's a very cut down version, with a lot of the PC features taken out as they just wouldn't work. It's also been farmed out to a third party who don't have a great record of stunning games.

It's just not really got much hope.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Disappointed that they aren't bringing out a new RCT for all gamers, not just those with a DS.

RCT2 is out dated and for me RCT3 isn't that good, so I do think we are lacking a decent modern RCT game, but I guess the target audience just isn't big enough.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I don't think RCT for the 3DS was a good idea.
Sure, the gimmick for the illusion of 3D would be great for riding rides, but that advantage doesn't make up for the major flaws.

The 3DS for a portable gaming console which means you can play it anywhere in the world in any environments except fire and water.
RCT is a management simulation game that can easily consumes hours. It is more satisfyingly played in a block of a couple of hours. It also has a smaller display screen than a typical monitor.
I don't think these aspects meet well. A portable management creation game that requires a dedicated time sink.

I would have thought it'd be easier to build a game for the PC than a handheld console, particular since RCT3 and Thrillville (shudder) were PC usable. Just update the graphics engine and modify the programming code. You have the foundations available already. DS I'd imagine uses completely different software.

I also doubt that you can see much visual information with the ds.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^^ Go look at Pokèmon and the come back. While the gist of the gameplay is vastly different, you still have to grind for an ungodly amount of hours before having the best team out there.

Managing a park is going to be no different than grinding.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
What I meant was that if this is successful, it will generate public intrest for the series, therefore enough customers to make a profit from rct4, if Atari and Frontier's management consider it a wise move to produce! :--D

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
What I meant was that if this is successful, it will generate public intrest for the series, therefore enough customers to make a profit from rct4, if Atari and Frontier's management consider it a wise move to produce! :--D

I don't think Atari really believes in the series. Multiple delays and not telling the developer it's delayed so they find out the same time as GP

Idlewild

Mega Poster
And please give the series to someone other than Frontier.

Elite 2:Frontier(the game) was one of the best games of my childhood(up with civiliaztion), but the stuff they have made since then has been crap.

Its hard to believe Frontier were once so amazing. (like Peter Molyneux)