What's new

New Merlin "Annual pass"

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
It's a lot to fork out for a family but still represents great value.

The Martin Lewis type families armed with their lanyards and tin foil sandwiches have taken over in recent years. Hopefully this is the start of a new era for Merlin and they offer a more premium day out going forward.

Dar

Hyper Poster

The Martin Lewis type families armed with their lanyards and tin foil sandwiches have taken over in recent years. Hopefully this is the start of a new era for Merlin and they offer a more premium day out going forward.

Yeah, the people complaining are the same people that don't spend anything on park, milk the pass for all it's worth, and then seem shocked there's no money for a decent new ride.

I can possibly see pre-booking for pass holders becoming permanent, Merlin love their numbers and getting a bit more certainty on guest numbers might be too tempting to resist? Especially since they're using the different number of tickets each tier can book in the marketing.
Maybe they'll just shift everything to pre-book using an e-ticket like Blackpool so they don't need any ticket sales windows on the plaza at all?

I hope this also marks a shift away from devaluing the parks with constant BOGOFs and other vouchers.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Yeah, the people complaining are the same people that don't spend anything on park, milk the pass for all it's worth, and then seem shocked there's no money for a decent new ride.
No, some of the people complaining are the people who have seen prices constantly increase, the quality of the parks get steadily worse, and the park operators be incapable of building a decent ride, even when Merlin actually feel like making a halfway substantial investment.

If Merlin want to charge premium prices, they need to be actually providing a premium experience that's worth the asking prices, not cutting corners and compromising their new additions with gimmicks. I haven't been to the southern Merlin parks in years, probably since the last time we had a UK GhosterForce, and as for Alton, after visiting this year during Scarefest, I honestly have no desire to go back any time soon. I don't miss the parks, and the passes are nowhere near good enough value these days unless you live in really close proximity to the attractions, and intend to visit multiple attractions multiple times in the same year.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster

i mean yeah, why should poor people be allowed some escapism? shouldn't they be busy doing some form of manual labor.

tut tut

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
i mean yeah, why should poor people be allowed some escapism? shouldn't they be busy doing some form of manual labor.

tut tut
Believe me I understand that more than anyone, so don't give me that nonsense. It doesn't change the fact they've been underpriced and oversold for years now.

How much do you think a Merlin pass should cost then? They're not a charity*.

*Merlin's Magic Wand aside

AJ

Giga Poster
Not as much as they’re charging. I’d want FAR better customer service for their prices to be honest.

I wouldn't base getting an AP on an experience of boggy CS. Revisiting a park maybe. However I doubt people head to the AP office with cash in hand, ready to get a pass, then suddenly reflect on that time Becky from Slough stood up for herself because they told her to smile on a bad day and so put the cash back in their pocket and went home.
I used to renew with Merlin every year for like, £100 or whatever it was back 'int day. I'd take a meal deal from Tesco n wouldn't spend a CENT inside the parks. I abused that pass to filth and so did MANY others. So of COURSE they want to price me out, they weren't making **** from me.

It's a shock to those used to paying old tier prices, and sad for those young enthusiasts who may be priced out (however I'm sure there will be a monthly payment option again one day, would be silly not to and would help younger enthusiasts LOADS) . However, when compared to other european and american passes at other parks, Merlin should have been charging these prices for a while now.

Last edited: