What's new

New(ish) Pleasureland Southport PTR

Emmett

Giga Poster
On my way back to Dublin from London after visiting Thorpe Park I had planned on visiting relations up in Liverpool for a couple of days. And seeing that The New Pleasureland in Southport was only up the road and the fact that the park had been advertised a lot more this year, I decided to take a quick visit on the Saturday afternoon. They had also been giving away lots of vouchers for 2 for 1 ride’s so I thought most of their attractions may be operating.

Whilst walking towards the park along the seafront I could hear load music coming from the park area so at least the park would be open. Arriving at the front entrance the place still looked the same as all those years ago when it was Pleasureland. The place seemed dead even though the pier in Southport and towards the beach was quite busy. It looked like most people using the car park were using the shopping centre and water park across the road.

From what I had heard the park sounded like they were really trying this year to encourage more visitors but the place was in bits. It actually looked better back in 2007 just after they had taken over the site, there were a lot more attractions and most areas were taken up with rides. Now the park looked like a building site with a small funfair in front. The whole area from where TraumaTizer all the way across to Cyclone where located appeared as a muddy site not even blocked off from the rest of the park. The old buildings at the back of the park are still standing including the old dinosaur attraction. It seems like they can’t touch any of the buildings or knock them down as most of the main entrance along with the Casablanca restaurant are all still standing empty.

There were plenty of signs around telling people to excuse the mess and to expect improvements and more attractions coming up to Easter but I couldn’t see anything being placed on the muddy site and the judging by state of some of the paths and walkways, there was a big accident waiting to happen.

Most of my time was spent walking around thinking of the great days in the past when riding TraumaTizer, Cyclone, Wildcat and the rest. But now its sad to see the place in that state. If the recession had not kicked in I’m sure the site would have been developed or even plans drawn up, but I can see the site either operating as the funfair or ending up derelict until land prices rise again.

Finally when leaving a local scouser asked me what happened to the big red roller coaster which used to be here. Funny enough he was talking about TraumaTizer and he thought it was still in Southport. I told him what happened to it and we both agreed that we didn’t like the new park. I certainly wont be heading back soon.

Welcome to Southport, Englands classic resort.
P1010394.jpg

Southport Pier, this is where you usually find most of the tourists walking up and down the pier.
P1010409.jpg

Welcome to the New Pleasureland, the area where the tourist don't dare to visit. Saturday afternoon and there was nobody in the car park.
P1010379.jpg

Mmm, old and new signs at the main entrance. At least they kept the entrance looking decent.
P1010380.jpg

The old Casablanca Restaurant, laying empty and housing the old arcade machines inside.
P1010473.jpg

This sign which first greets you at the main entrance.
P1010438.jpg

Fun Park????
P1010430.jpg

It does'nt look too bad from here, a new pirate ship, bumper cars and a new water chute ride the Jungle River.
P1010393.jpg

P1010388.jpg

More signs warning about the mess, god how long do they need. After 3 years the place is still a mess.
P1010390.jpg

OMG construction site, maybe a new mega coaster for 2010. More likely to be another few pikey flats I think. Now I can see what all the warning signs were for.
P1010415.jpg

Some the old Tizer signs from a few years back when TraumaTizer was still here.
P1010413.jpg

The old Abdulahs Dilemma building still standing and believe it or not they were serving drinks of of this when I visited. You can see some dodgy looking bar thing on the right.
P1010468.jpg

The new water chute ride the Jungle River which wasn't operating yet.
P1010470.jpg

P1010386.jpg

Boo, bring back TraumaTizer. This is where you would have gotten a good view of the lifthill, from the car park at the rear of the park. Nowadays there is just a caravan and derelict building to look at.
P1010384.jpg

At least the go-karts were still operating but I wonder for how much longer as the area was looking very rundown just like the New Pleasureland site.
P1010411.jpg

Back in the park, the Rock 'N' Roll Express.
P1010435.jpg

The King is here.
P1010425.jpg

One of the old dinosaurs from the Lost Dinosaurs of the Sahara attraction.
P1010440.jpg

The new Super Waltzer, with Ray Von from Phoenix Nights trying to attract customers. They guy was going crazy on the mic and there was nobody around.
P1010445.jpg

One for the credit whores, the Big Apple coaster.
P1010447.jpg

P1010449.jpg

Another one for the whores unless you have the credit from Blackpool. I was very surprised to see the Circus Clown here, especially as I couldn't remember hearing anything about it being removed from the Pleasure Beach. There didn't appear to be any train on the track yet so it may have just arrived recently.
P1010432.jpg

Nooooooo, this was the only attraction I was looking forward too. They even had it down on the list of operating rides. It is Indiana's Adventure - The Ride, an oval kiddie coaster which been built in old Funhouse at New Pleasureland. How it looked last year.

http://www.rcdb.com/id4265.htm

P1010429.jpg

I heard they had problems with copyright of using the Indiana Jones name, so it may be launched under a new name.
P1010443.jpg

Interesting theming, half a Land Rover on the roof.
P1010442.jpg

The Twister ride.
P1010451.jpg

Attracting the biggest crowd was the bumper cars.
P1010460.jpg

Walking around towards the front of the park I found the old entrance with a newish paint job complete with the old Pleasureland sign. I really felt like sneaking back at night and trying to hack the sign down.
P1010454.jpg

Ah the memories, queuing up here during the summer waiting for a writband.
P1010455.jpg

The old crazy golf course.
P1010458.jpg

Before I left, I had one go in the Haunted Inn as I never had visited during the Pleasureland days and seeing as it was only £1 and it looked the safest thing operating in the park at the time.
P1010465.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Not looking good so far this year... Erm, was this before Easter weekend? Not a lot there compared to last year and Easter would be THE time to get the cash in.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
I went on Good Friday to get the Indy coaster done and see if anything else was worth riding. It was very much an in-n-out affair!

Emmett

Giga Poster
^^Yeah, I went just before the Easter holidays. Looking on their forums the added a few extra attractions just before Easter but it seems like they just come and go. Pitty they got rid of Storm as that looked pretty good in the corner and was the only major ride they had.

^ :lol: , so was it any good Tom. Now I'm going to have to take a quick trip back sometime in the Summer just to get it.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
"Ghetto" and "dump" are two words that spring to mind.

After reading this report, I actually want to visit so I can be physicaly disgusted.

Disgusted at the way that Thompson woman closed it down and disgusted at what it's become.

luke8

Mega Poster
Looking at the first few pictures once you were in the place, e.g. Spaceman entrance sign, dinosaur, new grassy area, water chute in the background and the really good looking pirate ship I thought 'wow, looks far better than previous couple of years!'

Then, I got to the little black and yellow Tizer bus shelter with the abandoned office chair, and from their it was a total 100% 'Urgh'.

Looks like they have the first five yards of the park sorted, another 3 years time it'll be ten yards!

A

Anonymous

Hi first post but just thought I should sign up put my 2p worth in here after reading your report and clear a few things up.

First off your pictures don't do it justice at all, I see you took them in March, at that time half the park was empty as things were, as the signs say, still being done for Easter and the main season.

Also there are no Log Flume boats on your pictures as they arrived on 29th March.

I would post some pictures but it says I have to be a member for 7 days.

The sign on the Indiana Jones ride was replaced after your visit in time for Easter.

furie said:
Not looking good so far this year... Erm, was this before Easter weekend? Not a lot there compared to last year and Easter would be THE time to get the cash in.

As Furie has said above, Easter was the target to get as much ready as possible and in turn the place was packed out over the Easter Holidays.

Just to clear up a few more things, the top end of the park around the old River Caves has been flattened and is being turned into a Quad Bike Track bigger than the one currentley in the centre of the park.

For Easter Darren Matthews Experience was in the park open next to the Waltzer, also Steven Hills Miami Trip 3 next to the Flume.

The Pirate Ship came from Metroland and opened in early August last year.

The Pinafari, 'Storm' was sold last year.

The Indiana Jones coaster is an indoor Crazy Chase coaster with lights and strobe effects and walkthrough Maze before the ride.

The Circus Clown arrived from BPB in March and is opposite the Dodgems and Pirate Ship.

You obviously got a bad impression on your visit Emmett and I'm sorry to hear that, when you went a lot of things were still being changed for Easter and the main season.

There are limits to what can be done with the lease situation and the council so the owners are doing the best they can in the circumstances.

Also contrary to what you wrote above all the rides are safe.

All our Rides and Attractions Comply with HSE and Showmen's Guild Regulations and are Regularly Tested and have Full Public Liability Insurance.

All our Attractions are Operated in Accordance with HSE Fairgrounds and Amusement Parks Guidance on Safe Practice HSG175.

If anyone is thinking of going there in 2009 don't hesitate to join the forum or PM me to find out the latest ride list etc as things do change quite a lot.

As it stands here is what is currently at the park, rides in italic are there all 2009...

Twister
Super Waltzer
Super Bob

Ferris Wheel
Circus Coaster
Pirate Ship (permanent)
Dodgems
Rock N Roll Matterhorn
Apple Coaster

Go Gator Ride
Jungle River Log Flume
Quad Bike Track (Coming Soon)
Indiana Jones Ride
Haunted Inn (permanent)

More to be confirmed as they change/arrive.

+ Lots of kiddy rides.

Here is the ride list from Easter...

Jungle River Log Flume
Dodgems
Pirate Ship
Experience
Ice Maze
Big Wheel
Rock 'N' Roll Express Matterhorn
Superbob
Apple Coaster
Super Waltzer
Miami Trip 3 Miami
Twister
Circus Clown Coaster
Indiana Jones Ride
Go-Gator Coaster
Simulator
Haunted Inn

Also here is what was at the park in July/August 2008...

Dodgems
Pirate Ship
'Storm' Pinafari Coaster
Joey Silcocks Speed Flip
Atmosphere Creator Waltzer
Graham Sedgewicks Experience Superspin (briefly)
Rock 'N' Roll Express Matterhorn
Superbob
Apple Coaster x 2
Superbowl
Skyliner
Graham Sedgewicks Freak Out
Miami Surf
Jump n Smile
Twister
Indiana Jones Ride
Go-Gator Coaster
Haunted Inn

+ Lots of kiddy rides.

Thankyou for reading.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah I went last thursday and to be honest it seemed dead, we still had a good day after re-riding Experience about 9 times lol!

Its still not looking that good for the future to be fair, Equinox NEEDS to turn up there lol, if it does (which it isnt lol) I would whore that ride forever lol!