What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Ollie

CF Legend
Apparently the new ride is loads better and even people who hated the ride before like it now.

Some of the changes include:
- Much louder audio
- longer in the Central Core with more "pre-egg breaking" part to the show
- better lighting configeration
- greater use of the existing effects
- lots more smoke and strobe effects
- smoke in the lifts?? (mixed reports on this one)
- Experiement 10 style finale

I've still got to wait till Scarefest to ride it though. </3

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
As an overall, the ending is a windy corridor with loud noises, air cannons, fabric stuff on the ceiling, darkness and a few actors...

It's actually disorientating as hell and I nearly bundled over some girls who had stopped dead due to an actor (biohazard suits for those interested)... It is a rather decent ending to be honest although I doubt I'd ride it multiple times in a day, it'll certainly make an impact and a difference to the riders...

Lofty

CF Legend
That's fantastic news. Sounds better than the simple "RUN DOWN THIS DARK CORRIDOR" that seemed to happen.

marc

CF Legend
Like the fact that they have made the egg part longer and added effects.

The end section in the container does not really interest me, but glad they have done something to improve it all.

Ollie

CF Legend
New press release from Alton.

Alton Towers Resort bosses go to extreme measures to train Nemesis Sub-Terra staff to work in claustrophobic conditions

In an attempt to help staff suffering with claustrophobia from working in the suffocating conditions of Nemesis Sub-Terra, Alton Towers Resort bosses have gone to bizarre lengths by introducing a series of claustrophobia workshops.

Led by one of the UK's most popular contortionists, Pixie Le Knot, the classes will train staff to become comfortable working deep underground, in the confined spaces within Nemesis Sub-Terra.

Since the attraction opened a few months ago, a large proportion of staff have admitted to having suffered with claustrophobia from working in airless catacombs, endless tunnels and dark, cramped cages.

Deep underground in the belly of the attraction, Pixie and her team today began the class by demonstrating their skills in dealing with intensely small spaces. As the contortionists crammed themselves in to a perspex box, workers looked astonished at the body-shocking spectacle whilst Pixie explained how they handle such tight and often uncomfortable conditions.

Resort bosses are confident that their unique, if not slightly unusual, approach to staff training will pay off. Katherine Duckworth from Alton Towers Resort commented, “Nemesis Sub-Terra is set to push you to your limits. While our guests experience around four minutes of the intensity underground, our employees spend eight hours in the claustrophobic confines of this attraction. We’ve given our staff an unusual training session today and hope that Pixie will help them overcome their fears of the small spaces in the attraction.”

Visit http://www.altontowers.com for more information or to book

Quite strange that they'd do something about the ride this late. Maybe it's to hint at the updates they've added onto the end of the ride to get people in for the summer to ride it.

Love how they keep repeating the words DEEP UNDERGROUND. When the whole ride is above ground apart from like 10 seconds at the bottom of the towers. :lol:

Edit: There's a video as well.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj2nw22MwLw[/youtube]

T0M

Hyper Poster
Flyers for Fastrack were reportedly on the seats throughout the day as people entered the chamber.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ollie said:
New press release from Alton.

Alton Towers Resort bosses go to extreme measures to train Nemesis Sub-Terra staff to work in claustrophobic conditions

In an attempt to help staff suffering with claustrophobia from working in the suffocating conditions of Nemesis Sub-Terra, Alton Towers Resort bosses have gone to bizarre lengths by introducing a series of claustrophobia workshops.

Led by one of the UK's most popular contortionists, Pixie Le Knot, the classes will train staff to become comfortable working deep underground, in the confined spaces within Nemesis Sub-Terra.

Since the attraction opened a few months ago, a large proportion of staff have admitted to having suffered with claustrophobia from working in airless catacombs, endless tunnels and dark, cramped cages.

Deep underground in the belly of the attraction, Pixie and her team today began the class by demonstrating their skills in dealing with intensely small spaces. As the contortionists crammed themselves in to a perspex box, workers looked astonished at the body-shocking spectacle whilst Pixie explained how they handle such tight and often uncomfortable conditions.

Resort bosses are confident that their unique, if not slightly unusual, approach to staff training will pay off. Katherine Duckworth from Alton Towers Resort commented, “Nemesis Sub-Terra is set to push you to your limits. While our guests experience around four minutes of the intensity underground, our employees spend eight hours in the claustrophobic confines of this attraction. We’ve given our staff an unusual training session today and hope that Pixie will help them overcome their fears of the small spaces in the attraction.”

Visit http://www.altontowers.com for more information or to book
The marketing for this thing goes from bad to worse. What on Earth is going on at Alton? It's clear they rushed the ride but then the PR team are lurching from one strange idea to another - 80s-style-comic, transparent lifts, now some silly yoga. Time to get a grip!

Ethan

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX282DRNqeo&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Best part is the matching tracksuits at the end of the video...

Lofty

CF Legend
"It's very claustrophobic due to the lack of space" - Well, Ben Carpenter, you are a bright boy.

Also, those twins need to be SHOT, as if it's not bad enough ONE of them is wearing that atrocious costume <//3

Glad to see that people are seeming to enjoy the experience more..

Ethan

Strata Poster
Sorry to bump up an old(ish) topic, but here's a POV of the updated ride. Skip to 2:30!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz1EqlkWBjc[/youtube]

The show sequence looks a whole lot better. Now there is a system malfunction, and while the lights are off, the egg cracks. And after that is the drop. I actually want to ride this now! :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Ok, so wtf was going on from 4:00?

I'd say it was just the prat who filmed this over reacting, but you could hear that most people were screaming their **** heads off?!

Lofty

CF Legend
The guy filming needs to be shot.

But, the whole ride experience looks FAR better now. It's actually an obvious narrative and storyline with the voice over as opposed to just a stupid guessing game as to what was happening.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Right, Nemesis Sub-Terra V3.0 then (there will be a V3.1 no doubt later in the year when they're tired fo paying staff wages).

First up, batching is massively reduced. There's more to the ride now so it doesn't shift people quite as quickly. We did hit an issue though (a small breakdown or technical fault or something that delayed us a bit more), so we waited for longer than was probably needed.

The ride changes then.

The pre-show area is now darker and the pre-show video (while rubbish) at least actually explains the back-story decently and also answers the "is the track the Nemesis monster or chains" question. You don't feel quite as rushed getting into the first lift, so there's a little more tension.

The main room show is now actually really good. The whole thing makes sense and is actually exactly what I suggested all those pages ago after my first review. All the effects run better too, it's just a much better, more rounded "show" and the drop is a much better shock than before.

There's real tension to get out of the room now with a countdown going on. The lift is pretty much the same, but now it makes sense because the main room makes sense.

On exiting the lift, there's a new voice-over about contamination and you feel under scrutiny from the actors in the "maze". It's only a short shipping container, but it's well done with lots of strobes and smoke effects. There are about three or four actors and they're quite freaky (in a "Candy Holland also likes Doctor Who" kind of way). I suspect that in time, they'll ditch the actors due to cost, but there'll always be a need for a couple of staff members to assist the exit. The "maze" will still be a good end to the ride anyway, "completing" the experience by giving you a dark place to run through to escape.

It's still not a mind-blowing ride, but it's actually a complete experience now and for anyone who doesn't know what's going on, it's actually very effective.

So, from piss-poor to good simply by reading my earlier post in this very topic - well done Alton ;) . They've actually listened to feedback (I'm not arrogant enough to really think it's me) from customers and they've modified accordingly to produce a very decent attraction.

So yeah, if you've not been on it, it's worth it now. If you have been on it, it's worth giving it another try.