What's new

Nemesis Roar

Ben

CF Legend
Silver Bullet, Talon, Hydra, Kraken, Air, Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, Griffon, Manta apparently after a five minute Google...

At LEAST 9 coasters is pretty common place.

(well, Hydra's track is foam-filled and the supports are sand...)

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
I'll trust your claim.

I never claimed to be an authority on this matter, That would be UC, I just knew it was not many... Alpie really?

9 or so out of some 70 plus.. I wouldn't call that common place. ;)

Still, this is pedantic arguing for the sake of it. I have no loyalty to either viewpoint.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemaniac said:
Still, I'd expect Nemesis to have as well, given those neighbours. Oh well, there are exceptions everywhere.

Could be because:

a) The idea of silicon filled track wasn't around then (Nemesis being an early B&M) - feel free to prove me wrong though, the technology idea may have been done before.

b) Alton just didn't give a stuff about noise. They'd had investigations over noise during this period, but Alton were "helping to support the local council officers" ;) So it probably didn't cross their minds it would be a problem :)

I don't know how regularly wheels are changed, but it's not often. They're very expensive if I remember correctly (a few hundred per wheel, multiplied by a lot). I'll bet Erol could give a rough idea based on Vampire wheel costs (or Undead Creature if he ever posts again).

I think the issue is that they've changed the wheels, and that they're a new compound. So they're harder or something which gives the change in noise.

Nick

Mega Poster
a) The idea of silicon filled track wasn't around then

I think that's right, it seems to be quite a modern thing to fill coasters with sand.

And I'm surprised at how much coasters wheels cost, I've never really thought about it before really, but it makes sense that they aren't cheap, as they have to be capable of withstanding pretty crazy forces!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Like I said in that other topic, it is incredibly loud, but I dont no about being able to hear it from Spinball...

Also I wouldn't have thought wheels get replaced on a weekly basis.

Slash

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
Also I wouldn't have thought wheels get replaced on a weekly basis.

Think of how many times a coaster goes around a track, testing in the morning, rides throughout the day. I think its perfectly plausible to have to do it every week.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Me and my friend stayed at Splash Landings the other week and spent some time to take a walk down to the chained oak.

We walked out of the trade entrance, and down the road towards the oak and you could hear Nemesis. So it's no suprise that the locals are complaining.

To be honest, this was the first time I have been outside of the park during operating hours (because, obviously, we're in the park usually, or strolling around after hours), and I have to say the locals really have a case. It is much noisier than what I imagined it would be. Especially with the Nemesis roar being heard from that far out.

Nick

Mega Poster
^No it doesn't. It sounds way too loud. Dragon Khan sounds like a real B&M, with a beautiful low roar. Nemesis used to sound like a real B&M, now it sounds ropey.

Ben

CF Legend
SnooSnoo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxcpm4t9CVY

That is what a B&M is supposed to sound like. Nemesis right now = win.

... preferably minus the *CLUNK* halfway down the drop :wink:

Swat

Mega Poster
I for one can't seem to imagine Nemesis being as loud as its made out to be. Across the park... That's quite a distance I just game get my head around it.

Nick

Mega Poster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxcpm4t9CVY

That is what a B&M is supposed to sound like. Nemesis right now = win.

SnooSnoo, I'm not quite sure what your point is. Yes Mantis does sound like a real B&M but that's not what Nemesis now sounds like. Nemesis new sound is not "win".

I don't understand why anyone thinks it sounds good now? It's not that nemesis used to be quiet, it used to sound like a "real B&M" cause last time i looked it wasn't a fake B&M. It's not sand filled so it's always had that great sound. The only difference now is that something is making it sound like all the bearings in the wheels have gone and It's scrapping round the track.

Alton need to sort this out.

A

Anonymous

it was always quite loud but i cant ever remember it being that loud

A

Anonymous

is there anything these B:xcensoredx:d locals wont complain about?

A

Anonymous

The sound of the roar always gets the hairs on the neck stand on end. Not sure if the loud roar is a good thing or not. Hearing the roar from the woods starts to get you in the mood.

Dave

CF Legend
It can be a bad thing, if its clocking up over 70dB then your going to have some bad eardrums, especially if your queueing for more than over 1 hour and constantly hearing it.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Very loud last year, if it's even louder now, even better, the noise of rides gets you excited, and the louder the better, the more exciting, especially if you are a good distance away, especially with Nemesis, it's a unique noise, an unnatural primevil roar, and it's amazing.

Hopefully still be like that in summer.