What's new

NBA Finals 2009

A

Anonymous

First of all, let me say Go Magic!

Orlando beat Cleveland and Los Angeles beat Denver. And now we begin the Orlando - LA series. Howard vs. Kobe.

Discuss..... :--D

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Both conference championships were great series' because of all the close finishes, but I really think the better team won each one.
Denver's problem was lack of postseason experience aside from Billups, which really showed when they had leads on LA and couldn't put them away because they committed bad fouls and turnovers. Cleveland's problem was that they simply didn't have championship-caliber talent. Aside from Lebron, they didn't have a single player in their starting lineup that would start on any of the other 3 teams left in the playoffs.

Onto the finals. LA certainly has the edge in postseason experience and they probably have the world's best scorer in Kobe Bryant. This is essentially the same team that went to the finals last year, only better because Bynum and Ariza are healthy. When LA gets productive minutes from those two and when Odom plays well off the bench, the Lakers are very tough to beat. However, they are prone to defensive lapses, especially defending the 3, and that could be why the Magic give them trouble.

The Magic really showed what they are capable of during the last 2 weeks by knocking off the Cavs so decisively. Even if they don't have quite as much talent in their starting lineup as LA, I would say their depth matches and possibly exceeds that of the Lakers. They also have a well-defined game plan that they are very good at executing, and it all centers around Hedo Turkoglu and Dwight Howard getting in the paint to set up the 3 point shot. They have 6 or 7 guys in their rotation that can shoot the 3 and have to be defended, but at the same time, Howard almost always commands a double-team when he gets the ball in the post. So when they execute, they almost always get an open look from behind the arc or something easy in the paint.

I'm a fan, but I really do think the Magic can beat the Lakers. Turkoglu/Pietrus and Howard will have their hands full guarding Kobe and Gasol, but I'd say that also goes both ways. As good a defender as Kobe is, I'd say Lebron was better so Turkoglu will probably get more of his shots this series, and I don't think Gasol is powerful enough to guard Howard one-on-one. I'm picking the Magic in 6, hoping they will win one of the first two games then hold home court.
On the other hand, it won't surprise me at all if this goes to 7 games and the home team wins every time. Should be a great series either way!