What's new

My year North America - SUCCESS! Now let's get planning!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: My year North America - SUCCESS! Now let's get planning

Howdy! Me again!

Just a general question about mobile phones over in the US as I'll obviously need one, but I've no idea where to start looking. Can anyone suggest/recommend providers, contracts (PAYG or Monthly, not sure), networks, shops etc? I'm starting to look into it all, and I probably won't be buying anything until I'm actually in Madison, but as ever with these things there's so much choice I don't know where to start! :p

Snoo

The Legend

I'd suggest a pay for minutes phone.. because getting a 2 year contract would be insane. Look into that.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^AT&T has pay as you go phones. Likely the best option if you're going to be around for less than 2 years (stupid phone contracts)

Not sure about other providers though

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Oh I see. We have rolling contracts here (like the one I am on now), where you can cancel given a months notice at no charge. I wondered if there was anything like that available in the US. I certainly wouldn't be looking at a long term contract for obvious reasons.

Snoo

The Legend

I don't think so. Phone companies here suck.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

I would definitely go with a pay as you go phone. I'm pretty sure you could get a pretty nice phone for doing pay as you go, which is always nice.