What's new

My Trip to the UK: Part 5 (Chessington)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
So I finally made it to the UK to do most of the major parks :p This trip report will be full of unpopular opinions and while there were only a few coasters that I truly loved, the UK has plenty of interesting stuff to offer. Accompanying me on this trip is CFer CookieCoasters (James).

The schedule for the week was:
Day 1: The creds near Birmingham (Cannon Hill and St Nicholas Park)
Day 2: Drayton Manor
Day 3: Alton Towers
Day 4: Alton Towers
Day 5: Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Day 6: Thorpe Park
Day 7: Chessington
Day 8: +3 at Wicksteed Park

Day 1
I won't go in depth for this day, as it was just a small cred run after I arrived in England. We started out with the cred at St Nicholas Park, which is basically just an SBF Visa twin helix coaster. I didn't even bother taking a photo. It was called Runaway Train. Couldn't start off a trip any better.

Next cred was the spinning coaster at Cannon Hill. Both of these opened last year so I might actually have a cred that some UK CFers don't have ;) Spinning Coaster was ever so slightly more exciting than Runaway Train. We then made our way home to prepare for the real start of the trip the next day.

18320705_813853795432123_7706457783202483109_o.jpg

Day 2
It might only be Drayton Manor, but I was just so excited to finally go to a proper UK park. It was one of the two days that could potentially be busy, since we visited on a sunday and then Alton Towers on a bank holiday monday. In the end, it might have actually been the busiest day of the trip, but it wasn't too bad. I'll cover all rides that we rode and give my opinion on it;

Troublesome Trucks
We did this one first because it could get a bit of a queue and G-Force was to open a bit later due to technical issues. Thomas Land is quite popular, which isn't surprising since it's a lovely place for kids. I'm not familiar with the show, but it seemed quite nice. The coaster itself is decent for what it is. It's a slight step up from the smallest of kiddie coasters but not quite a family coaster yet. The twisty bit towards the end was actually fun.

18275086_813851602099009_309081944555072700_n.jpg

G-Force
G-Force opened by the time we were done with Troublesome Trucks. I was dreading it a lot because I hate hangtime and I've heard it's quite rough. We rode the back seat and in the end it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. My favourite part was probably the pre-lift drop which caught me off guard. The lifthill wasn't as bad as I thought and the drop out of the lift and the airtime hill were fun. After that hill the restraints tightened quite a lot though which spoiled most of the remaining fun. It's certainly not a great coaster, but I found it decent enough. We re-rode it later, again in the back, and my opinion still stands.

18320666_813852145432288_5869030493098375409_o.jpg

18318950_813851795432323_1464052143880778906_o.jpg

Shockwave
My first stand-up coaster. I've always thought that standing up on coasters must be so uncomfortable and put so much pressure on your knees. After the longest queue of the day (about 20-30 mins) we got on the second row. It was fun! It might not be the longest layout and I'm still puzzled why it needs to have such long straight sections at several places inbetween the elements. But I had a good time on it. It was running rather smooth and I don't think I suffered from headbanging at all. The zero-G roll is the clear stand-out element. Probably the best ride at Drayton Manor. We later re-rode it in the front row and it was even smoother there.

18359352_813853442098825_7358084698244287026_o.jpg

18319249_813852012098968_6185187057755379941_o.jpg

18318982_813851998765636_5444983431505726448_o.jpg

Buffalo Mountain Coaster
After a small queue we rode this Zamperla Powered coaster. It's rather strange. I like the bit where it goes over the water and it was odd how close the track got to a parallel part of the track, but other than that it's unremarkable. It seems forgotten on the edge of the park.

18278801_813854405432062_8360463770708905227_o.jpg

Accelerator
Aka Ben-10. This is my second Vekoma family boomerang. It literally has no reason why it should be better than Raik at Phantasialand. It's not as well themed, smaller, slower, shorter. And yet it IS better than Raik. I'm not sure if it has to do with expectations or that the layout is simply better, but while I was mostly underwhelmed with Raik, I found this one a lot of fun. It's still short, but some of the turns were decently forceful in the back seat. A very solid family coaster.

18358790_813853455432157_5291078227931728616_o.jpg

18278868_813852182098951_1766066516351947437_o.jpg

18279033_813852038765632_6248878638324419987_o.jpg

Apocalypse

Having done all the creds, we moved on to the other rides the park had to offer, starting with the most notable one. I've heard good things about this drop tower. Good news was that both sides pretty much had a walk-on. Sadly, the stand-up floorless side was closed. We rode the sit-down side first and I found the drop quite forceful for an Intamin giant drop. The stand-up floored side was more interesting though. I've never done anything like it and it made me a bit nervous which I usually don't get anymore. It didn't help that it started tilting before going up, meaning you're facing downwards the entire climb until the end of the drop. It's a great drop tower, especially for its size. Fritt Fall at Gröna Lund is definitely still the best drop tower I've done, easily.

18403045_813851708765665_4358351441652127533_n.jpg

Maelstrom
I almost always like these frisbee style rides and this was no exception. Aside from that it had nothing about it that stood out though. I've done better and I've done worse. Thankfully the queue was short.

18319306_813852225432280_5294502934054820611_o.jpg

Air Race
We had to wait a couple of cycles before we got on. This air race started off great with plenty of fast spins that made me like this ride type so much. But then the horror started towards the end. We constantly got a slower spin, leaving us hanging into our restraints for long durations of time. I think that during the last "roll" we were hanging upside down for a good 10-15 seconds. Urgh!

18404247_813852852098884_1731198712116749292_o.jpg

Splash Canyon
Unfortunately, Stormforce-10 was closed for maintenance during our visit, so we had to settle for the other water ride in the park. After our first ride on Shockwave, this probably had the longest queue. Funny thing was, when we got on our boat, we happened to share it with a Dutch family. Meaning James was the only non-Dutch person on the boat :p It was a good rapids, probably the best one of this trip. The first half wasn't too remarkable but then the tunnel and final splash were quite wet. Nice interaction with Shockwave too, which roared above us just when we passed it.

18402112_813853798765456_4735786214525787706_o.jpg

The Haunting
We ended our day with the park's madhouse. It had a long queue earlier but towards the end of the day we could get on the next cycle. They put a lot of effort into the theming and effects. Loved the "jump scare" in the first corridor with the skeleton on the roof and the second room was quite well done. The actual madhouse was decent as well but obviously completely overshadowed by the one we rode the day after. I would still rank it above the Belgian ones and the one at Phantasialand.

18279003_813855392098630_5638857861197508207_o.jpg

18319090_813855252098644_5784020266138608079_o.jpg

The Park Overall
I thought Drayton Manor as a park was a bit meh. It didn't really have much atmosphere and even if you look at it like a smaller family park, it doesn't make you go "aww", which I did get with parks like Nigloland and Familypark in Austria. It's really just a collection of rides and paths inbetween. The ride selection is nothing too special, but it has a couple of interesting ones. Shockwave, Apocalypse, Accelerator and The Haunting are probably the most notable ones. I wouldn't rush back until they get a new substantial cred, but I still had a great day.

18320714_813852442098925_2555160289628032993_o.jpg

18358760_813852115432291_1891055537675365660_o.jpg

Next up is Alton Towers <3

jayjay

Giga Poster
Nice report Thom. Very interested to see what you think of the rest of the parks with fresh eyes. I've always thought people in the UK can be over-critical of places (not that anywhere should be immune to criticism of course).

Shame you hit Drayton Manor on a busy day. I always found that, despite being fairly average, it can lend itself to really fun days out if it's quiet.

Ben

CF Legend
Ben 10 is absolutely not better than Raik.

That's just, ridiculous.

Why do you hate Phantasialand? One week Taron has no airtime, next Raik isn't as good as Drayton's?!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nice report Thom. Very interested to see what you think of the rest of the parks with fresh eyes. I've always thought people in the UK can be over-critical of places (not that anywhere should be immune to criticism of course).
Exactly my thoughts as I started reading this. Definitely looking forward to seeing what he says.

Although the fact that you think Ben 10 (Accelerator) is better than Raik, and that Shockwave is "smooth", makes me concerned about your opinions for the rest of this report. ;)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I'm not sure why I prefer Ben-10 over Raik either, I think it has to do with expectations. I thought Raik looked really good but I was really disappointed with it when I rode it. That automatically lowered my expectations of Ben-10 and then I found that a lot of fun. Raik is still the far prettier coaster and maybe when I re-ride it I'll like it more, but for now I had more fun on Ben-10. As for Shockwave. Maybe we got it on a good day. James said that last time he rode it, he found it rough. But now we both found it reasonably smooth. It's not glass smooth, but there was nothing bad about it either. This is only based on rides in the front two seats too ;)

And Ben, just because I don't praise every single thing in Phantasialand to death doesn't mean I hate the park. In fact, it's one of my fave parks. I visit it multiple times a year and I always come back loving it to bits. But like every park, Phantasia has its flaws as well. Taron has a few great moments of airtime, but in my eyes it's not an airtime machine. This doesn't mean I don't like Taron btw. I simply love it for different reasons.

Ben

CF Legend
Your comment was that Taron has no airtime, so Helix is better, when by any measurement, Taron has way more moments of airtime than Helix.

And don't be giving me this rubbish about having a level of expectation going on Raik, anyone objective can see Raik is miles better in every way. You just have a vendetta against Phantasialand, maybe it's because they take Efteling on at their own game and piss all over them?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I said I find the airtime on Helix better. I feel it's a lot more sustained and impressive. But let's not turn this into a Helix vs Taron topic. Can't I simply love both without being attacked for preferring Helix? Or for not being a fanboy of Phantasialand? No, I don't have a vendetta against Phantasialand. I've said it to be the "best" park in Europe. It has the best ride selection and best theming. It's just not my favourite. I have stronger feelings for Gröna Lund and Efteling. I have more fond memories there and generally had a better time in those parks. Jeez, don't get so defensive.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Raik is better as an overall ride, but the coaster experience itself is completely unmemorable a few weeks after. Ben 10 has a nice bit of force for a family coaster when going forwards, making it a better 'coaster' I think.

Anyway, great report Thom! Nice to relive the day. But obviously Apocalypse is the best ride at the park, not Shockwave ;) Though tbf, it was a lot more fun than last time I rode it.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I feel for you having the busy Drayton experiance as your first UK park. Compared to lots of other family European parks it's isn't cute or green and just lacks any kind of spark.

Yeah, I have to agree that Raik is a million times better simply because of theming and the fab music. Ben 10 may be slightly more forceful but not enough to overshadow the rest of its blandness for me. Perhaps Raik does suffer slightly from being surrounded by Taron - it feels quite enclosed. Maybe the exposed nature of Ben 10 makes it feel more scary and substantial.

Someone else who likes the Haunting though! I secretly love it, especially the queue, and it always gets nothing but ridicule.

Looking forward to the next installment.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
It might also be the fact that at Drayton Manor a family coaster is more likely to impress than in Phantasialand with Taron right next door. Also, for the record, I was purely aiming at the coaster part. Raik is a better full experience with its surroundings and theming. But I found Ben-10 more forceful and exciting as far as the coaster itself goes. It isn't even that much of a difference so I didn't mean to start a big discussion about it :p

Also, even though it was the busiest day of the trip, it still wasn't bad. The flats were a walk on, and only Shockwave, Troublesome Trucks, Ben-10, Air Race, the Haunting during the day and the Rapids had a 15-30 min queue

TilenB

Strata Poster
Great report Thom! Glad to see you and James (at least somewhat) active on forums again. :)
Looking forward to more.

Why do you hate Phantasialand? One week Taron has no airtime, next Raik isn't as good as Drayton's?!
How come you don't have Taron as your number 1 coaster? You're such a hater, everything Phantasialand has done so far is just the best thing to have ever existed.
/s

Ben

CF Legend
Did I say everything Phantasia do is the best? No, no I did not.

I just called out Thom for only ever saying things like Taron has no airtime or Ben 10 is better than Raik, which are both just ridiculous. Have opinions, but if you have bull**** ones, expect to be challenged.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Let's look at your logic.

I've loved and praised Phantasia for years. It's still my #3 park, has never been lower. It has two entries in my top 10. It has two of my fave flats, my fave water ride/log flume, my fave mine train (plus I rate it quite highly in my rankings), one of my fave spinners, one of my fave rapids, some of my fave themed areas. I go multiple times a year. I've visited the winter event, spent a birthday there and stayed at the hotel.

Then I say I don't find Taron an airtime machine and I found Ben-10 slightly better than Raik as a coaster.

Your logic ----> Thom hates Phantasialand

I miss the times where I could love Phantasia without getting attacked by fanboys for not loving it "enough".

TilenB

Strata Poster
Did I say everything Phantasia do is the best? No, no I did not.
Well, that's true. But you also called Thom out for 'hating' Phantasialand because he doesn't have the same opinion as you on two of their rides. I also can't really see the part where he says Taron has no airtime, all that was stated was that it's not an airtime machine (I do disagree about this one as well, but alas ;) ). Can hardly agree with the fact he hates the park though, seeing as he has it at #3 in his rankings. Do everyone that don't have it as their favorite hate Phantasialand?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Let's end the discussion here though :) This topic is about my trip to the UK and sadly I didn't visit Phantasia on this trip since it's not in the UK. Ben, get over yourself. Let's talk about the UK now again.

Ben

CF Legend
Thom, I was merely pointing out that all people see from you is that you post negative things about Phantasialand all the time, all of which are frankly, ridiculous opinions. If you don't want your opinions challenged, back them up or don't put them on the internet.

And I was literally commenting on something you said in your trip report. Don't act like I brought this up when I've replied to something you said in the first place!

Also, I'm not the only one that's commented on it.

So, thanks.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
If you only see negative posts about Phantasia from me, you've clearly not read many of my posts. I've been praising Phantasia for many years.

We've already discussed Raik vs Ben-10. I've backed up my "controversial" opinion (you haven't btw, you're only shouting that I'm wrong, but I'll assume it's for the same reasons as Sue), so let's just agree to disagree.

You are the only one who has ever accused me of hating Phantasia which to me is more ridiculous than any of my unusual opinions.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I prefer Ben 10 to Raik in some ways too actually...Sure Raik is brilliantly themed (station in particular!), but 10's layout feels so much more fulfilling to me.

That's not even your most controversial view anyways. How anyone can call the headbanging, groin-crushing abomination that's called Shockwave "fun" is beyond me... ;)

Looking forward to the rest of your report, especially Thorpe. Been ages since I've heard a complete newbies' views about my home park, so will be interesting to see what you made of it...

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It's fab seeing a new perspective on parks you know so well, especially ones you've heard us banging on about for ages! You'll have to come back for Icon and visit Lightwater Valley next time!