What's new

Movie World Aus | Justice League : Alien Invasion 3D

peep

CF Legend
The famous and popular Sally Corp have announced they are building alongside Alterface (Huntik) a new dark ride for Warner Bros. Movie World in Australia. The new dark ride will center around the Justice League helping out Gotham City.

Link to News Parcs article

I think it sounds really exciting, two of the best companies around at the moment for interactive dark rides coming together to make an epic dark ride based around a very popular series of comic books. Yeah, this would actually make me want to go check out the park (if only it wasn't so far away).

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: New epic DC dark ride for Australia

I'm a massive fan of this type of dark ride, but I'm afraid that when you've been on the likes of Spiderman and Transformers, the others just seem to fall short? Yes, Huntik was good, but the group I went on with were for the most part blown away whereas I came off thinking meh, the 3D was average at best and I just didn't find the storyline that exciting. Also, the addition of guns to this kind of ride really ruined the pacing (which I think is what these rides are ALL about in my opinion) and just made the whole thing too complicated, I'm assuming this thing will be using guns similarly?

They're still an awesome addition to any park, but I think I've been a bit spoiled personally with this kind of attraction (I was so disappointed by DarKastle too, a ride I've always wanted to go on =[).

Nicky

Hyper Poster

If it's themed to the same degree as they rethemed that SLC to, and is anything like Huntik, then I'm in... I need an excuse to visit my relatives in New Zealand, and a short stop off at the Gold Coast always sounds like a good idea...

Lofty

CF Legend

Sally Corp's theming is absolutely incredible.

I totally agree with Jordan about it not levelling up to the new Transformers/Spiderman rides. But, seen as it's in Australia, it really won't matter, it'll be a great ride for them!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

So it'll be like Spiderman/Transformers/DarKastle, but with a shooting element as well? Geez I'd be an awful shot. :lol:

Gazza

Giga Poster

I think the best description is like Huntik...Some laser targets, some 3d screens.
But none of the spinning/tilting ride vehicles like Transformers/Spidey/Darkastle.

peep

CF Legend

^Really? Huntik span too and I'm pretty sure those vehicles could tilt if they wanted them too, Huntik's might have even tilted but I can't remember.

Still, it's awesome you'll be getting an attraction like this near to you. Will be interesting to hear how they incorporate all the DC characters.

Gazza

Giga Poster

So, Justice Leauge: Alien Invasion 3D has opened. I've managed to get on this, still having the odd glitch, but it's a great ride!

Really high quality theming and animatronics, and the mixture of real targets and 3D game screens is really cool. This is the theming in the Load Area, and the same standard continues through the ride. No cardboard cutouts or blacklight theming along the course, it's all realistic 3d facades...The city scenes kinda reminded me of the ones in MiB or Spidey

0921-1_Justice_League_IMG_3913.jpg

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo_update/ge ... G_3913.jpg

Spoilers:
546364_343760785717045_916204903_n.jpg

So you enter into the hall of justice, really glossy and marbled. A few portable generators with satelite poles and TV screens, as well as some safety barricades have been set up inside, playing news broadcasts that Starro Spores (Starfish looking aliens that attach to your face and take control of your mind) are swarming down to earth and infecting cities throughout the earth. Uninfected citizens are advised to go to their nearest Justice League embassy for shelter.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From the hall of justice you move into a lab area, but first you pass through a scanner which scans you for infection: "Robot lady voice: scan complete, no infection detected". Theres also a camera and a big projector screen which shows something like a heat scan of the people queueing as they pass through the scanner.

0921-1_Justice_League_IMG_3887.jpg

The queue leads to the load area, where batman is communicating on a giant screen from the Justice League watchtower space station. He explains the starro spores can be destroyed by a laser blast, and that he has created vehicles for citzens to patrol the streets and destroy starro spores. Your vehicle has a counter for the number of starroes destroyed, which is beamed straight back to Batman (In other words, each car has an LED score display)
In this area is a really cool Cyborg animatronic, he uses his laser arm on a tank of trapped starro spores to demonstrate how to destroy them. Overall, the queue and load area is really cool, impressive scale and really feels like a a superhero hideout.
480425_343761072383683_1966980821_n.jpg

So you grab some 3d glasses from the racks, board the vehicles, go through some doors and into the city. The first scene is like an alleyway, with animatronic people hiding in windows and dumpsters with starro spores stuck to their face. Also , there are starro spores stuck to the walls etc, and you pass under an elevated subway rail line. This is a common theme throughout the ride, and there are over 100 starro spores to shoot at.

You make a turn, and face the first 3d screen, there are a number of infected citizens, who attempt to hurl starro spores at you...really good use of 3d here and kinda feels like shooting clay pigeons. You can also shoot at the faces of the infected citzens to free them.

After another section of alleyway you reach a city street. Lots of infected human animatronics sitting on benches and shop windows. Some notable ones included a tourist with a camera and a hawaiian shirt sitting on a bench, a traffic controller, a pizza boy.
Around the next turn is the next 3d screen. Wonderwoman has lassoed a bunch of infected humans, they wriggle a bit, but they are an easy target to shoot at their faces to detach the starro spores.

After another turn you pass a huge section of wall covered with starro spores. It's groaning under the weight of them, and colapses towards you, but an animatronic supergirl reaches up and holds it, allowing you to pass by without getting squished.

Another turn leads you down another street, past a multideck carpark ('Parking garage' for the Americans on here) and towards the next screen. Starro spores are swarming down, so the Flash runs around in circles really fast, making a tornado that sucks up the starroes, and flings them out towards you so you can zap them.

Another turn has you heading towards Starro the Conquerors mothership:
Starro the conqueror is the big boss...this guy:
rebel5+-+starro.jpg

So, you enter onto a Tollway/Turnpike, the tollbooth attendant has a starro spore stuck to his face. The boomgate rises, and you pass a funny electronic sign which first says "Caution: Heavy traffic ahead" and then goes haywire and then the message changes to say "JOIN STARRO!"
You pass under a big

The mothership has landed in the middle of the freeway, crushing a car under the landing gear. Under the other leg the attention to detail is really cool, the road surface is all buckled and ripped up.
Green lantern appears on a 3d screen to the side under the mothership, and he uses his power ring to blast open the spaceship doors so you can get inside and really take them on.

Inside the spaceship you pass some starro spore breeding tanks (but for some reason it doesn't seem to be a live target) you round another corner and face another 3d screen....Superman is attacking green lantern because he has starro stuck to his face. You shoot to free superman, and once he is free he starts attacking the starro spores floating around him (which you can also shoot at)

The track twists and turns a few times, past some walls with starro spores stuck to them.

You reach the grand finale scene, another 3d screen, where superman and Starro the conqueror are battling it out. Here you basically just shoot at the conqueror as many times as you can.

By this point the mothership is unstable, you turn and travel down a hallway to escape, just as you get out the doors there are some bright yellow flashing lights from behind you, a deep bass rumble, and you feel hot air as the ship explodes behind you.

You emerge back onto the streets. The ride photo camera is hidden inside a cracked traffic light..Clever. The final 3D screens has the members of the justice league gathered around, who congratulate you on defeating the starroes.

You make a turn, go through some doors and unload. As you head out the exit ramp you see your ride photo, but at this point they weren't displaying scores from the ride.

Overall, a really solid attraction that seems quite popular (full queue area!) and a high standard of theming throughout with no "gaps" or anything that looks or feels cheap.

Jake

Strata Poster

DarKastle is blates better than Spiderman. Flying cutlery <3.

Just watched the POV:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL8p2nPejVs[/youtube]

I know a POV isn't the best way to experience' dark rides, but I really don't think this should be compared to the fab '4D' rides. It basically looks like a shooting dark ride with a couple of 3D effects, nothing more.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Nah, I wouldn't suggest so either (Transformers and Spidey are some of my fave rides)

But I reckon its better than Buzz Lightyear, and as enjoyable as MIB, despite not having spinning seats.

Also, soundtrack is better in person, compared to a go pro attached to the vehicle, which seems more interested in recording the sounds of creaking than the ride soundtrack,

Alternate pov
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaf369PalA[/youtube]

Still can't see **** in it though. A lot more detail in the darkness.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Yeah, it looks great as a shooting dark ride, but it's really not the same thing as Spiderman etc. It's the vehicles and track that let it down really: consistent slow speed, very visible rail, just keeps moving past the (very small) 3D screens rather than stopping to become an actual scene etc.

So yeah, not in the same league at all, but way, way better than the vast majority of shooters.

For the record:

Spiderman>Huntik>DarKastle

nadroJ

CF Legend

^ Transformers>Spiderman>Huntik/DarKastle (both were equally turd)

I was genuinely not impressed with Huntik, don't understand the bumming it received.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Because when you compare it to pretty much any non-Universal dark ride, it's excellent.

Spoilt bitch. x

peep

CF Legend

^Lol. Yeah Huntik was good Jordan, you're just being silly :p

I agree with Gavin's order of how good they are. Transformers does intrigue me though.

This looks good but yeah, not as great as we've seen elsewhere. Better than I was expecting if I'm being honest, you never really know how good something like this is going to be when it's not exactly a film tie-in.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I think if they'd gone dark ride and not shooting dark ride with it, I'd have been impressed, but it felt really tacky and superficial. The 'game' section graphics were crap, the 3D goggles didn't work properly and so the vision was all blurry, the shooting sections disrupted the ride massively, making it very stop-start, despite the park only being open a few months the queue line 'theming' was all chipped and peeling away, etc, etc, etc.

It was TURD.

And yes I know it obviously had a much bigger budget and better design team and whatever, but what Universal did over a decade before was miles better than what Rainbow MagicLand did, which says something in itself.

peep

CF Legend

I believe we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one :p

And yeah, Universal did have a bigger team with more experience and money and that shows. I think outside of Universal it's the best dark ride out there. It'd be interesting to ride it now a year later to see if it's got better/worse (I hear it's the former).

nadroJ

CF Legend

That'd be an interesting topic actually, best non-Disney/Universal dark ride, I'd like to see what people come up with.

Gazza

Giga Poster

nadroJ said:

I was genuinely not impressed with Huntik, don't understand the bumming it received.

When you ride Huntik in real life, is the framerate of the 3d game scenes as laggy as it is in the POVs?

But again, Spidey/DarKastle/Transformers are the wrong type of rides to be comparing with since they are more about the motion base aspect...the bumps battling an enemy, spinning around, the feeling of freefall etc.

This ride is more comparable to other normal shooters, midway mania, maus au chocolat. Etc.

Will be interested to see how many parks pick up on this mixed shooter technology anyhow.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Gazza said:
nadroJ said:

When you ride Huntik in real life, is the framerate of the 3d game scenes as laggy as it is in the POVs?

Yes, it's like it can't cope with the amount of people shooting at it and it goes 'errrm...uhhh....ahh!' and breaks. Hence why it's so poo.